franksun
Silver
Silver

how much lowering on front 2.0 116?

Post by franksun »

Hello there!
This is my first post on this forum.

My Car is a AR GTV 2.0 82mod, the suspension consist of 3cm lowered rear (eibach springs) and bilstein b6 sport on all 4 corners, And I wonder if anyone here know how much i should lower my FRONT to not mess up the symmetry and driving abilities on the car.

Kind regards from norway
Frank
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Hi Frank..
The idea with the front is to keep the lca`s parallel to the tarmac whenever possible..
There are numerous posts here about this subject,I suggest the search function perhaps.
MD has a novel way of sorting this problem out by using some obscure upside down balljoint he sourced..

I replied to the pm ..
and welcome to gtv6.!!
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

That "parallell to tarmac" theory I have never quite understood, is it by chance that the Roll Center is at an acceptable height at that ride height?
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
franksun
Silver
Silver

Post by franksun »

thanks for the replys lawds, Yes I can see that there are ALOT of info about this on this forum. But no excact answers (maybe there arent any answer? ) well ill search and thanks :)
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Exact answers will be given to exact questions. 8)
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Frank,

As Barry has said, I do use an upside down balljoint setup for the my race car and lots of other modifications too to compliment that.

However, it is not recommended that you do this for a street car.

To be perfectly honest, just lowering the rear as you have done is all that is needed. The quest for a low slung Japanes style lady killer is foolish for this car specifically at best. I know we all would love to see the gtv 2mm off the ground but hey, stiff sheit, it wont happen.

Leave the front alone and just fit good quality tyres,dampers all round and likewise with brake pads and just enjoy the car how it was intended to be for the street before you make cosmetic changes that actually degrade the whole chassis.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
grant
Platinum
Platinum

Post by grant »

It's true, the cars drive the best when they're at stock height. It seems you can only get away with lowering the car and reaping the benefits if you increase the spring rates by a large amount, ( to keep the sump off the ground for one, and also to compensate for the knackered geometry that's just been created) or make things really good by modifying the spindles for better grip and handling ($$$).
BMW's are the ultimate driving machine!

I'm kidding -- please don't ban me.
franksun
Silver
Silver

Post by franksun »

grant: Can you tell me what happends to the geometry? Interesting subject
grant
Platinum
Platinum

Post by grant »

The entire thread is a long read, but there's a lot of information there!

Here is a really crappy visual to help you out.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/milano- ... ion-3.html
BMW's are the ultimate driving machine!

I'm kidding -- please don't ban me.
franksun
Silver
Silver

Post by franksun »

Thanks grant, seems like there is alot of very interesting information on this subject, I will stay up all night reading :lol: :oops: