ANT_GTV6
Silver
Silver

track/street suspension setup

Post by ANT_GTV6 »

Hi guys, im new to the forum. Ive found articles on the net regarding setting up GTV6 for different applications and im just wondering what everyone else recommends. I have a sprint in 2weeks in my road car and want to set up the suspension for a bit of better drive on the track. What parts would i need and approx cost. Im in australia but would like feedback from everywhere.

Cheers,

Anthony
SlewofDamascus
Gold
Gold

Post by SlewofDamascus »

I really recommend sifting through the suspension section or use the search function - this topic has been done to death here and you are bound to find some great info (as I did).

This is my own personal observation after posting here and elsewhere (bb) for the past 8 months or so. This is a hardcore site, there are no two ways about it, and this sort of question does much better on the alfabb.com where they don't mind repeating themselves.

Here, well....one is just participating at a higher level of discourse (less patience). Just to be clear, I am not part of the "Illuminati" here, but I have certainly benefitted from the collective here. I asked a bunch of "stupid" questions (not like yours) and they were promptly ignored. There are some incredibly brainy people here, who happen to have the Alfa Bug, and for whatever reason they accumulated here. Some cross post, but this is their "Cheers."

"Barry!"

David - here's a link to an old, very old, discussion on the RSR suspension when it was first introduced:
http://www.alfagtv6.com/discus/messages ... 1097842262
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

To me it's a question of respect.
To appear out of nowhere and ask people to write a book about their hard earned knowledge and experience for free when pretty much everything you need to know is available if you look around on the site is, well, a bit casual.
Getting upset when no-one answers is disrespectful... ;)

I'm not saying that you are disrespectful Anthony but as Slew pointed out, there is a world of knowledge (litterally) in the pages of this forum. Do a lot of reading and ask very specific questions (i.e. What is best 'a' or 'b') and you will notice that people are very helpful. Quite often you will then have the answer 'c' and then the fun begins... ;)

To answer your original post:
-Which track?
-What type of track is it?
-Autocross?
-What kind of tires?
-Weight of car?
-Previous driving experience?
-What is the status of the car (what have you done to it)
-What kind of car is it anyway? (careful now, they are not the same around the world.)
-etc, etc...

See my point? Specific questions or write down every single piece of info that can influence the response.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
ANT_GTV6
Silver
Silver

Post by ANT_GTV6 »

Thanks for the advice slew and mats. Sorry if it did disrespect anyone. I should have worded my question better. Ill thoroughly study the pages before i ask any questions.
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Hey Bud even some of us who have been around the traps for a bit still don't open up and ask because (I for one) we're sure we;ll look like morons, and someone else has already put themselves up for humiliation and had their question answered!!!!!!!
Fixing it bit by bit....
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Yeah but Anthony has got an excuse-he's a new kid on the block learning the ropes but yuz just ffick. :D :D

Sorry I missed ya at Coffs buddy. :cry:
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

:lol: thaz funny
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Me Too MD I wanted to get some vids happening, but they stepped the program up a notch on me.... sorry!

Now I busted my ankle and I'm on crutches for a week! I can't even drive!
Fixing it bit by bit....
SlewofDamascus
Gold
Gold

Post by SlewofDamascus »

First, someone reams the new guy a new one :P for his pardonable faux pas, and now you guys are hijacking his thread :twisted:

umm...damn. :oops:

D
:wink:
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Hey Slew.

..so what can we do for you that we haven't already done for everybody else ? :D

OK you bastards, you heard the man, the subject is suspension an if I catch any of you suspects steering off course you'll all be eating humble pie and no gravy for a week!! :D
GTV27
Platinum
Platinum

Re: track/street suspension setup

Post by GTV27 »

ANT_GTV6 wrote:Hi guys, im new to the forum. Ive found articles on the net regarding setting up GTV6 for different applications and im just wondering what everyone else recommends. I have a sprint in 2weeks in my road car and want to set up the suspension for a bit of better drive on the track. What parts would i need and approx cost. Im in australia but would like feedback from everywhere.

Cheers,

Anthony
Hi Anthony

I'm in Brissy and sprint a GTV6 too, so would be interested in what event you plan to do.

In terms of mods, there are many ways to go depending on how 'hard-core' you want to make the car. I've set my car up predominantly as a road car first and track car second.

I started with standard torsion bars and stiffer rear springs, which was great on road and actually pretty fast on track, but it did roll too much (eg roll oversteer) which just killed the tyre sidewalls front and rear.

Now I have 28mm torsion bars, 200 pound rear springs and koni yellow shocks, which makes it a bit harsh on the road and a lot faster on the track, but still a bit too soft ultimately... :?

30 or 33mm torsion bars and 200+ rear springs are probably the ticket for hot track times, but I reckon that's probably stiff enough to warrant seam welding and or a roll car to keep the chassis in one piece (which is beyond my brief for this car).

Coilovers are also an option - the RSR ones are popular overseas but have had only limited local application (MD may want to comment?)

All this is probably too much to contemplate before a first sprint. For that I'd focus on:
a) getting a wheel alignment with as much camber and caster as you can (say -3 and 4), along with some toe out (can't remember - does 1mm sound OK?);
b) new quality brake fluid (Castrol SRF is good but exxy, Motul works nice too) and pads (Ferodo DS2500 work nicely when hot but take a bit of warming on the road);
c) renew any bushes or balljoints or tie rod ends; and
d) change the oil and spark plugs.

(if this sounds a bit like a convienent list - its because its from my list of jobs for the first sprint I ran when I got my car 18 months ago :D )

Anyway, welcome to the forum and hope to see you out on the track sometime. The last sprint we had at Morgan Park (B series round 2 - check outthe galleries here http://www.digitalrealism.com.au/ssb208index.htm I'm in the second group with most of the alfas) had 3 GTV6's, which is a record! Would be great to get some more out there!
Jason
1983 GTV6 2.8 litre
ANT_GTV6
Silver
Silver

Post by ANT_GTV6 »

Hi Jason, I'll be doing the TopGear sprints on the 28/06 and the Italian Challenge Regularity. Will you be at both these events? Thanks for the advice. The car that im using atm is my road car so the mods you have done sound like the ticket. I have another GTV6 that i want to have as just a sprint/race car so i will probably go more extreme with that one. (just have to get off my arse and get it ready) I have done 1 sprint before but that list you have sounds just like what i need to do. Seeyou at the track.

Thanks MD, will you be at the Top Gear sprints and Italian Challenge?
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Expect to be at the track but likely only as a spectator. Got some major development stuff to work through before we use the car again and time is against me. I desperately need a poving ground venue BEFORE I go to the track instead of testing everything AT the track with very mixed results to say the least. That is why I have said before, I am not passing on any unproven ideas cause it's just a waste of time and money.

Unfortunately I have't found a suitable testing venue yet and so I struggle on.

...anyone got a spare airfiled out there?.. anyone ?

E.T. Can you hear me...? :shock:

Personally, if you plan to make a dedicated race car, I wouldn't do anything to your road car to prepare it for the track. Save the bucks instead (youl''need it) for your racer and do a proper job instead of a half arse attempt.

By all means restore your road car to what ever degree you like but the more original it remains, the more value it will retain.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Big Julie on crutches !! Got see that. ! OOps off topic again.
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

And don't even bother with the stock castor rods if they need new bushes- just go straight to 105 ones. Heaps better steering feel and longevity is better.

MD is right about the stock vs. modified aspect. Go nuts on the racer if you can.

Yeah it's pretty funny Mike! I certainly am a big julie at the moment....!
Fixing it bit by bit....