saracene
Silver
Silver

gtv6 front wheels bearings !!!help

Post by saracene »

:!:
hi
can any one guide me as how to change the front wheel bearings on my 82 gtv6 and what tools are required.
thanks
82 Alfa gtv6
86 Maserati 425 liquid intercooled
92 Awd Subaru svx
91 alfa 164
MD
Verde
Verde

Wheel bearings

Post by MD »

Mate, this is a simple enough topic but will require some verbose amount of text to get the info across. Just about any workshop manual ever made has a segment on servicing wheel bearings. If you don't have a manual or cannot buy one, often they are available form you community library if you get them to look for you. Getting the manual is a good start anyway.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
JasonS
Silver
Silver

Post by JasonS »

Saracene - First, I assume you have purchased new bearings and hub seals. You will need to remove the old hub seals and bearing races. The hub seals are easy - drill a small hole in the middle of the edge of the seal being careful not to drill into the hub; then, screw a small sheet metal screw half-way into the hole. Next, take some need nose pliers or whatever and pry the seal out via the screw. Now you can remove the other bearing half and clean the old grease out of the inside of the hub.

Now, unless you have access to a high quality shop press with a large assortment of press... um... parts, you'll have to have a shop press out the old races and press in the new ones. I've done this two times now and each time cost about a half-hour of labor - about $35.00 but really your only option if you can't press them yourself. Once you get them back you install the bearing halves, carfully install the new seals with a plastic mallet, or, hammer carfully with a piece of wood; pack with grease and put back on the spindle. Remember the torque spec for the hub nut is hardly anything, like 7 lbs or something, but doesn't really matter as you have to line up the hole in the spindle with one of the slots in the nut for the cotter pin. I've always just tightened it by hand and then turned it just a little further untill the pin will go through. Hope this helps.

JasonS