zar162b4
Silver
Silver

Drifting removal

Post by zar162b4 »

Hi,
I have a 1988 stock alfa 75 twin spark, with stock tires 195/60 14". The problem of the car is a slight drift to the right when driving on a straight road, without hands on the steering wheel. We tried to switch the tyres, but the problem could not be solved, it will still drift slightly to the right. I think this is an alignment problem (all bushings ar new, and the caster bushings were replaced with Giulia spherical joints). I have also heard that the inclination of the road affects this problem and the car manufacturers apply cross camber and cross caster to counter it, so on US and Europe (excluding UK and Cyprus) models, the caster is bigger and the camber is more negative on the right .
The manual specifies the following
Caster:
4°30' ± 30'
Camber:
-0°30' ± 30'

Have you got any experience with those settings on Alfa 75 or Milanos with standard tyres?
I am taking the car to the mechanic and I would like to have the following settings:

Left
Camber -0°15'
Caster 4°30'

Right
Camber -0°45'
Caster 4°

Do they look sensible? Any comment, ideas, experiences about this problem?
Thank you for your attention
REgards
Oscar
zar162b4
Silver
Silver

Re: Drifting removal

Post by zar162b4 »

Problem solved!!
My car now is now running with the following settings:
Left Side:
Camber: -0°20'
Caster: +3°30'

Right Side:
Camber: -0°40'
Caster: +5°

It seems that the problem was related to a moderate tyre pull. However our Alfas are engineered to fully custom the front suspension setup and this has greatly helped in my case!