Octopussy
Silver
Silver

low speed whine in left front wheel

Post by Octopussy »

I get a kinda whining sound that I think is coming from the front left wheel. It only happens around real low speeds like 5-10mph and when I appy the brakes alittle it goes away(which led me to believe it had somthing to do with the pads or rotor. So I jacked the car up and took the wheel off to investagate. The rotor spun freely and there was no whineing sound which is leaving me kinda stumped anyone have any ideas?
Edit: I have recently changed my front pads.
Thanks
Alex
Alex
84 GTV6
Carel
Silver
Silver

Post by Carel »

Hi Alex

Check the wheel bearings, firstly if it is torque'd up correctly. If it is, check their condition, and the condition of the grease.
What often happens is that the hub nut is slightly under torque'd and with the weight of the car the wheel leans in or out. This causes the disk to run untrue, and foul the caliper or the dust plate at the back. When you press the brake, it puts pressure on the disk, and pulls the disk straight, and the noise stops.

Carel
Octopussy
Silver
Silver

Post by Octopussy »

Carel

That makes perfect sense I'm definitly going to check that tomorrow.

Thanks
Alex
Alex
84 GTV6
DOGFOOD
Silver
Silver

Post by DOGFOOD »

this is an old post but just wondering if this solved your problem, im in the same situation.
chairmankaga
Silver
Silver

Re: low speed whine in left front wheel

Post by chairmankaga »

Same here. Same sound and same conditions. Since I'm in the process of rebuilding my front suspension and have no idea about the condition or providence of my wheel bearings, I'm doing them too. New bearings and races and some high quality grease. I'll let you know.
chairmankaga
Silver
Silver

Re: low speed whine in left front wheel

Post by chairmankaga »

Driver's side bearings were COOKED. The nut was loose, although pinned, and the spindle was darkened, although not scored or otherwise damaged. Several of the roller bearings were seized and the races were in sad shape. Grease was plentiful and no rust, so I assume whoever last replaced or inspected the bearings slopped up the final assembly. Passenger side was fine but replaced them anyway. Getting the races out was an exercise in patience, as was acquiring the correct wheel seals. The $20 race and seal kit from Harbor Freight might not be a great multi-tasker, but I can't see how I would have done the job without it. A good investment. Went back together no problems, aside from the disappearance of my 24mm socket. Getting a new one after work and will tighten/pin things down.