Reale
Gold
Gold

Poly bushings & SZ DeDion

Post by Reale »

Andy Kress at Performatek has a full range of poly bushings for our cars.
http://www.performatek.com/

I don't know about anybody else, but I thought that installing the SZ spherical bearing was a REAL PAIN. Am I the only person who thought that the aluminum housing was TOO SMALL for the Uniball?
Also, SHOP AROUND if you decide to buy the pieces. There is a HUGE price differential, depending where you look. If you have the Alfa part numbers, try getting it from one of the places that orders it from Alfa directly. Even with the exchange rate, it can be a little cheaper. Also, the Uniball bearing can be bought cheaper from a bearing supply house in many cases. I did not see a quantum leap in handling performance with it, but it is nice to know that there isn't rubber in there.

Has anyone tried the spherical bearing for the Watts link pivot???
I saw it on the web someplace, was thinking about cobbling one up myself.

Anyone who wants to jump in here, please do, but I found that the most significant effect of stiffening up the suspension bushings was an improvement in the CONSISTENCY of my laptimes. Lax bushings seem to me to cause a lot of dynamic handling changes that you spend more time fighting than is necessary. When I stiffened up the car it really decreased my workload-because I was spending less time fighting the car.

-Al
Al Mitchell
Reale Motorsports
#82 E Production
Alfa Romeo GTV6
Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Post by Maurizio »

A bearing in the watt pivot makes more sence. If you look at the lever effect of the dion from the side of the car. The watt gets about 5 times bigger forces then the front center pivot of the dion.
My setup is uniball in the watt linkage. And a poly bushing in the center of the watt linkage and the pivot point of the dion tube. Which works great for me.
Last edited by Maurizio on Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Banned.. ? ;-) Daily donky.. ==> BMW 325d Image
E36M3 (3.0) Ringtool :twisted: ==> definitely BANNED!

AR 75 TS Ringtool '90, AR Spider 2000 veloce '79
Mats
Verde
Verde

Re: Poly bushings & SZ DeDion

Post by Mats »

Reale wrote: Has anyone tried the spherical bearing for the Watts link pivot???
I saw it on the web someplace, was thinking about cobbling one up myself.
I have bearings in my Watts link on the race car and it's tight. Very predictable and without suprises, one of those upgrades you will forget about after a while because it just feel natural... :)

Reale wrote: Anyone who wants to jump in here, please do, but I found that the most significant effect of stiffening up the suspension bushings was an improvement in the CONSISTENCY of my laptimes. Lax bushings seem to me to cause a lot of dynamic handling changes that you spend more time fighting than is necessary. When I stiffened up the car it really decreased my workload-because I was spending less time fighting the car.
AMEN! :D

No need to "set the car up" going into a turn, loading up the bushings before you really turn in.
You don't have to sit and anticipate what the car will do next...
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

Reale
I have been dealing with Andy at performatek and he has been great. Thanks for the recomendation.
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

Does anyone have a source in the US for the rubber flex boot that sits just outside the rear brakes?
gtv11636
Gold
Gold

Post by gtv11636 »

Do you mean that one ?

http://www.international-auto.com/index ... sid=909110

BTW -I'v been dealing with Andy few times now and must say he's the gratest!!! 8)
bteoh
Platinum
Platinum

Post by bteoh »

Does anyone make engine and gearbox mounts in polyurethane and anyone have any comments if they have done so?
Thanks for any info.

Brian Teoh