mjr
Platinum
Platinum

POWAAA STEERING!

Post by mjr »

well, Im sure ill get flamed for this conversion. Im waiting now for MD and Matts to go batt shit on this modification! but I dont care so NERRRRR! :lol:

with the duscussions about the site being slow of late. Ill be the first maybe to post up my latest fiddling on my 83 GTV6. about 18 montha ago I fitted 30mm ARB front , full RS coil overs with 80kg rate, and 16 inch Sz wheels, and an OMP swade three spoke racing wheel. It handles great looks great, but is an utter pig to steer now. The RS suspension and the wide wheels load the steering up massively. So I decided to bite the bullet and go with Milano 2.0 TS power steering, since its noted as being excellent on feel and feed back. So trhere you have it. Im part way through the install.

fitted pump, started fitted pipework and re locating various components like the coil, ingition module and relays too. Original washer bottle is far too bloody big anyway, so thats going in the bin for a smaller one. Just the steering rack to fit, the TS steering column and brackets to make for the resevoir.

a few pics of work in progress. **uck knows why they came out black and white on my camera fone. second pic is the extractors Im robbing from my local F1 simulator company to fit!! :lol: :lol:
Attachments
plenty of room for an aftermarket washer bottle/bag
plenty of room for an aftermarket washer bottle/bag
FxCam_1303222432521.jpg (70.58 KiB) Viewed 9169 times
i dont care what you say, they will fit!! lol
i dont care what you say, they will fit!! lol
FxCam_1299764272993.jpg (89.46 KiB) Viewed 9169 times
coil and module relocated
coil and module relocated
FxCam_1303222533232.jpg (75.26 KiB) Viewed 9169 times
pump mounted in place
pump mounted in place
FxCam_1303222461603.jpg (77.26 KiB) Viewed 9169 times
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Re: POWAAA STEERING!

Post by fedezyl »

Nicee, lot's of chrome there On the header! That's some guaranteed horsepower! :D
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

CHROME! just for xrad.. CHROME! you wait till those CHROME xtractors go on too, guaranteed 400hp from the little 2.5! :lol:
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

So far the biggest mistake you made is not using the compact 164 steering pump instead of the 75 unit.
The second mistake you made is not doing some gym work outs to build up your chicken wing biceps before making the upgrades.. :D

BTW. Get some chrome on that high tension coil asap, its bloody ugly. :D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

ah but the 75 set up was gratis 8) so that makes it sweet as aweet can be 8) ...anyway the 164 unit cant be seen in its stock position when I get it chromed! :lol:
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Mjr, dont feel bad all the racers here have powaaa steering on their gtvs, except me. Probably because their tyres are twice the width of mine. Hey i even have power steering on my fiat stada and it only has 165 tyres. Keep an eye on that steering bush. You wont pick up movemnt until its totally shot.
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

Well I have to say Kevin , I drove one with full RS set up last year and Ts power steering on it, and it was sublime to drive!. I never thought I would say it, but the addition of power steering transformed the car in terms of its drive. for me anyway. I know its not everyones cup of tea. You have a Strada?? how cool is that!!! Is it a 105 or 130 TC. The 130 TC 2.) twin cam with big bore Peko exhaust is the best sounding car ever in my opinion, wonderful looking car.

Which steering bush do you mean? in the rack itself?

oh another reason I stuck with the Zf unit pump from the 75 is, the 164 unit is not as good in terms of feel. Its widely acepted that the twin spark power steering on the 75/Milnao is the best. I dont know if thats mainly the rack rather than the pump though?
xrad
Verde
Verde

Post by xrad »

FINALLY, you guys are learning something about chrome! :D
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Mjr , sadly not 130 abarth but a serf efrican special which we call a bakkie ( utility vehicle) made by fiat . Sole purpose is used to carry engines etc.
I will post pics of that steering bush.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

I think you can control the assist by the banjo bolt in the rack. The banjo bolt connects the high pressure hose from the pump to the rack. I installed an after market banjo bolt (original on broke) and the hole which (I believe) supplies the pressure to the rack was bigger than stock. Now my steering is a little bit on the light side. I don't think the pump influences the feel, rather it's the rack and how much pressure you supply the the rack.
Dr. Alban
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

kevin wrote:Mjr , sadly not 130 abarth but a serf efrican special which we call a bakkie ( utility vehicle) made by fiat . Sole purpose is used to carry engines etc.
I will post pics of that steering bush.

ah the old yute eh! I love those you have out there, everytime I see one I want to bring it home. i dont know why on earth none of the manufacturers push them in europe, i would buy one , they are so useful, especially for loading up with beer and meat!! lol

oh ok uselful info Z, so by that token you ought to be able to "tune" the power steering to some degree by experimenting with different hole siszes in the banjo bolt.

annyone know if the GTv6 storks will fit right onto the milano/75 column? just realised that the switch gear that came with it (being 75 gear) wont work my the gtv6 headlights.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

I think you need Milano stalks. My dad's GTV6 3.0 also has the same setup as yours, PS using 75 rack etc.. This summer he is installing RJR cams, shaving the heads. He converted his 3.0 to motronic.
Dr. Alban
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

MJR
Pump is a pump is a pump.As long as it is designed for the correct pressures required. I have used both 164 and the 75 pumps. No difference except the weight,fitment and overall size.

I don't use a power rack because it's like playing a violin with rubber gloves on..

..er yes I know some of you punters are into rubber (with or without chrome) but hey , that's another topic..
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

Z could you ask your old man what he did to the Milano stalks to make the GTV6 headlights work. As i understand it, cos the 75 has one headlight, when you select full beam on the GTV6, the stalk turns the headlights off, and you need to modify the Milano stalk to stop it doing that?

I wouldnt know what playig a violin in rubber gloves is like MD, but I do realise that you Ozzies are into rubber since you havent the finess to bother with chrome :lol: :lol:, but hey fill yer boots mate. :)
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

chaps, quick question. i could have sworn that my 2.5 had the spare V in the front pulley, but it hasn't! shows how often I look down there or when I last changed the Alternator belt eh? lol. anyway i can easily get my hands on a 3litre front pulley. question is though can I just bolt it straight on to the 2.5? is it likely I will run into balance issues??? getting the pulley statically and dynamically balanced is a synch, but Im not going to tear down the motor for the sake of fitting assisted steering, if it has to be balanced with the crank.