Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lower A-Arm bushing R&R

Post by Michael »

Hi:

While I have everything apart, I thought it a good time to replace all the balljoints and bushings for the front suspension. I've replaced bushings (years ago) for all but the lower a-arm's. How tough are these to replace? Any tips?

Thanks,
Michael
1981 GTV6
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Micahel, my dad just did that on his Milano. I was amazed how bad the old ones were. PM me if you want to give him a call and talk about the procedure. He doesn't use the internet.

Bye the way the Porsche 944 Turbo kit now outsells the Alfa kits. Thanks for donating your car for that project.
Peab
Silver
Silver

Post by Peab »

Did you get the bushings replaced Michael ? If so, did you find an effective procedure for it ?

I'm about to do the same on my right lower a-arm, and i wonder where to apply pressure to get the bushings out and without damaging the pivot-bolt. The factory manual calls for a special tool for this job, but i hope it can be done with a regular extraction tool.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

I replaced mine. Have lots of deep sockets ready, and a big and stong C-clamp type device (like a ball joint service tool). Better if you have a press, but I didn't have a press.
Dr. Alban
Peab
Silver
Silver

Post by Peab »

Ok, but should i apply the pressure on the pivot-bolt itself, or should i place a deep socket around the bolt threaded part and press on the bushing ?

Just from looking at the A-arm, it seems that the pivot-bolt is trapped between the bushings, so it would be necessary to press the bushings out away from the bolt ? Or is it possible to press then inwards, towards the bolt ?
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Damn, Z, you stop at nothing! :shock: Leave something for the AR garage! This must be one of the crappiest jobs on the whole car!
When you finished though and assembled everything, did you check the distance from each front ball joint to the outside edge of the DeDion corner on the other side of the car and the distance to the rear wheel center (a very good and quick alignment check)? The bushing front nut provides for enough adjustment of the whole A-arm position. Beware though, you can only move it forward! You must therefore first measure (front to back and accross) and then screw the center nut to bring the lagging arm forward.
No offence guys, but I've found very few people know this, I'm not trying to be a smartass here! :wink:
Jim K.
Dennis
Gold
Gold

Post by Dennis »

Do you mean It can only move forward when mounted or at all? So theoretically, you can alter the wheelbase with a few mm? Interesting! :twisted:
'81 GTV6 3.0 QV
'91 75 TS (track)
'02 BMW 330i Touring
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Yes, it can be moved forward by up to ~6-7mm, but its a limited adjustment for small corrections only. It follows that if you play with it, you will also have to adjust the caster angle to correct.
Jim K.
Vince
Silver
Silver

Post by Vince »

Yes, I did the R&R too and found out that the new bushes supplied are slightly smaller(radial) so I had to play with the front adjustment nut and correct the caster angle with the caster rod.

Believe me, the mechanic at the local Alfa workshop called me up to find out how to assemble the new bush since it was smaller. He couldnt understand how the caster angle was affected. Well, he got my contact from the local parts dealer (a frend of mine).

You are really brilliant Jim!

Vince
Every journey is an adventure.....
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

No Vince, I'm not brilliant; brilliant is a guy who don't have to work for a living, drives a different car every day of the week (each worth more than our life's earnings) and can't get to sleep because a bunch of horny models are after his miserable bod! THATs brilliant! :lol:
Jim K.

Oh, and he doesn't have a clue wtf a lower bushing is! :twisted:
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

They're all shaved? :o

;)
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Who, the brilliant guys or the models? :lol:
Jim K.
Vince
Silver
Silver

Post by Vince »

Oh boy, I love the shaved pudding!!
Every journey is an adventure.....
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

Hi Guys:

I replaced the lower a-arm bushings this weekend with a hydraulic press. With that, it was pretty easy. Note the condition of the bushings on my car appeared to be fine when installed in the car....and even with the lower a-arm out of the car, but in truth, the bushings were in terrible condition :shock:

Anyway, some tips on this job...
First, loosen the 17mm bolt/cover device with the a-arm still mounted in the car! Much easier as you can really wrench on it (and I had to)!
Remove plastic cover (goes between the torsion bar and the 17mm nut) and remove both 17mm nuts from the support bar. Use lots of penetrating oil to loosen things up, then reinstall one 17mm nut loosely on the rear of the support ... just enough so that when it goes into the press, the load will be more evenly distributed across the spigot/nut assembly. Install a-arm in Press, pushing the support out the front. Once it starts moving easily, remove the 17mm nut installed earlier. In my case, the press removed both bushings simultaneously.
Clean .. lube (per manual), press the rear bushing into the a-arm (the one closest to the torsion bar). Lube. Position support in a-arm. Press the upper bushing into the a-arm. Install and torque both 17mm nuts to 35 nM.
I have one more side to do - I'll see if I can snap some pics to describe this better. The manual is not much help unless you have the right tool :evil:

Cheers,
Michael
1981 GTV6