Austin GTV6
Silver
Silver

Steering Column

Post by Austin GTV6 »

Well my newly acquired 85 GTV6 has developed a new problem today. Seems like I fix one thing and another problem pops up.
The steering shaft has suddenly becoming loose in the steering column. You can move the steering wheel up and down. I'm pretty sure that it wasn't like this until today. Before I pull the steering wheel and combination switch, does anyone have any idea about what the problem is? Thanks in advance
AlfaTipo
Gold
Gold

Post by AlfaTipo »

Welcome to the world of Alfa. It is really difficult to get in front of 'something' needing atttention. My first GTV6 was only 4 years old and that was always needing attention. Daily driver though.

I take it you mean this is a little movement, not just a loose adjuster?

One of my 85's has a slight up and down movement, the other is solid. Not sure what that is all about. Do you have the manual? Milano is probably similar. There are several bushes that may be worn and a couple of washers that control end float (in and out play?).
Jef
85 GTV6 'Gina G2' Shankle cams and headers Resting Serious rebuild in the future
85 GTV6 'Gina G3' Sold but missed.
www.motozane.com
Austin GTV6
Silver
Silver

Post by Austin GTV6 »

There is a lot of play between the steering shaft and the column, as if there was a bushing or bearing missing. I ordered a Car Disk last night, but I was hoping someone had run across this before. By the way, do you know if Shankle header to downpipe gaskets are available. I have to remove the driver side down pipe to be able to lower the rear of the engine to get the driveshaft out. The oxygen sensor is right under the back of the engine and it is seized in the pipe.
Steve R
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Steve R »

As Jeff says looks for obvious loose bolts first.

If the wheel is moving up and down as in you can "rattle" it a little further or nearer the stalk switches as well as up/down left/ right then check the upper and lower column bearings. The bottom bearing can sometimes drop out of the column, look at the base of the column where it bolts to the u/j before it goes through the bulkhead. You might find the bearing is visible and loose to the touch - It shouldn't be visible or loose. If you're lucky you can just push it back in, if not just change the bearings - which is a pretty easy job. New ones are only about £1 a pair (you need two) and still available for Alfa.

Minimum tools needed: socket set, hammer (BFH!), a "drift" (a socket extension bar works fine) to aim the hammer blows, phillips head screwdriver.

Line the car up so the wheel is straight ahead, take the stalk cowlings off (4 screws underneath), disconnect the block wiring connectors (3 or 4) for the stalk switches and ignition switch. You need to remove the wheel so pop the horn button off, undo the retaining nut & the correct wheel removal tool screws into the little holes at the base of the hub, with or without the correct tool it's much easier to remove the wheel from the column with the column out of the car. Undo the couple of bolts holding the column hinge point and the adjuster mechanism, undo the pinch bolt on the splines at the base and once everything is disconnected it'll just lift out (might need to tap the pinch clamp lightly to make it release).

With the column out carefully rest the wheel hub on an open vice or something suitably solid so the column hangs free and give the centre of the column a sharp tap down (BFH & a drift!). It'll pop off. I can't remember whether you need to remove the stalk assembly, if you do it's easily undone and slid off the top of the column. Replace the bearings and refit the parts & column, putting the splines in the pinch clamp by the bulkhead BEFORE inserting the other bolts - taking note that the steering lock lines up where you want it & put the wheel on last to make sure it lines up straight.

Start to finish if you've never done it before? 1 hour tops. Hope this helps.
Austin GTV6
Silver
Silver

Post by Austin GTV6 »

Many thanks. Took the wheel and combination switch off, repositioned the top bearing and rubber dust sleeve and it's solid. at least for now. I suspect there is a washer or spacer missing. but I'm quitting while I'm ahead.
grega
Gold
Gold

Re: Steering Column

Post by grega »

Hey guys,

I'm in the middle of trying to get my steering wheel off.
I'm trying to romove the wheel and the shaft combined and then remove the shaft later(Just like you guys did)
I'm looking at how to disconnect the wirring. I've noticed that all the wires have connectors except fort he wires going into the high/low beam selector and the signal indicator switch. Did you guys cut those wires? or is there a way to remove them without cutting?

Thanks

Greg A.
Gtv 6 83
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

When I chainged stalks I had to cut the wires - sadly. Buts its a south african assemled(built) model so not sure if it applies to your market.
grega
Gold
Gold

Post by grega »

kevin,

It seems mine is the same too. the wires go staight to the fuse box. Silly that they would make it without a connector. Did you cut and then put in some spade connectors?

Does anyone have a spare steering wheel they're willing to part with?
mine is in rought shape.

Greg
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Put spade connectors ,soldered , heat shrink incase have to take out again.
grega
Gold
Gold

Post by grega »

Kevin,

How did you solder them if they're the crimp on type?
Did you remove the plastic sleeve, and solder them without crimping?

Greg
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

You can get the crimp on connectors without the insulation. Crimp them on then solder. Its better if you solder the wire end before you put the connector on though.
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

IMO don't solder them. Definetly not before you crimp them, the solder will relax and you will get problems. Crimp on proper terminals with connector housings, that will work best. Second choise would be crimp on terminals and shrink-hose.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
grega
Gold
Gold

Post by grega »

Thanks for the tips guys.
I'll let you know if i'm able to get my steering wheel off, w/ the whole thing removed.
I've tried using different pullers on the steering wheel with no luck. Infact i've bent the crap out of the steering wheel and still wouldn't come out. Now i need to find a replacement wheel.

Greg
grega
Gold
Gold

Re: Steering Wheel FROM HELL!!!!

Post by grega »

OK.

This is getting to be a bit to much for me. I cant get this steering wheel off.
I pulled the whole colulm out and had it on my vice and i was banging on the shaft with a small sledge hammer and a hard piece of wood. I also tried a 3/8" socket extension. I tried to get it off with a puller.....nothing seems to work. I also tried to spray some aerosol freezing product, with no luck whatsoever.
WTF.....I'm not happy with this car right now, and want to take a flame thrower to it.

Is There anything else i can try? Aside from a can of gasolne and a spark?

Greg A
xrad
Verde
Verde

Post by xrad »

did someone weld it on???

take the column, strip everything off it you can, and throw it out. Call Larry at APE alfa (209) 365-1383 . he will have a new(used) one for you for a good price...and I am pretty sure he ships worldwide.

I am pretty sure that the mid 80's alfa spider wheels(the one that looks just like the gtv6 wheel) fit just fine and are much cheaper than gtv6 units. Or get the momo adaptor...

don't torch it yet.