SPAIN
Silver
Silver

STEERING

Post by SPAIN »

Could somebody tell me what is supposed to be in front of the rack and pinion component on my GTV6. There are two metal plates on either side screwed to the chasis with some remaining cardboard or similar attached to the back of both plates. Nothing else. What is missing and is it worth replacing. I would appreciate a quick reply engine is going in soon and would like to replace the missing part if avaliable.

Regards,

Pancho
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Engine pipe heat shields? A photo would help..
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
SPAIN
Silver
Silver

steering

Post by SPAIN »

Thanks MD for your reply. I am attaching a photo of both plates I referred to.
Attachments
PROTECTORDIREECIONALFA.JPG
PROTECTORDIREECIONALFA.JPG (63.57 KiB) Viewed 6611 times
Jose_76
Gold
Gold

Post by Jose_76 »

They're heat shields :wink:
'84 Red GTV6 3.0
SPAIN
Silver
Silver

STEERING

Post by SPAIN »

Nice to hear from you again Jose. I thought you were visiting La Manga this summer. What happened?

Do you recall what is supposed to be in between of the heat sheilds , as mentioned previously I found bits of cardboard stappled to the back of the sheilds. Is it worth replacing?

Regards,

Pancho
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Pancho,

I believe the purpose of these things is to minimise radiant heat impact on the rubber engine mounts, if not that then usually something else that is sensitive like a wiring loom running close by.

The more insulation the better so if you can line the metal with an asbestos free insulation material, that would be good.

The other alternative is to simply insulation lag the engine pipes themselves in which case you could leave them off altogether.

Sorry I am a little vague as I dont have them on my car but have similar ones on an Alfetta sedan which do the same job I believe.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

MD wrote: The other alternative is to simply insulation lag the engine pipes themselves in which case you could leave them off altogether.
A sure way to introduce rust and overheat the material -> crack.

Use the heat shields.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Mats I dont' service other peoples cars so I have no knowledge of your claim. What I have is personal experience and the engine pipe (on a second car)and manifold are fully lagged and I have never had a problem along the lines of what you say but I have heard these claims before.
In Oz, this reduces cabin temps which is very desirable in our hot climate and allows the air cond. to do a better job with less heat load. So there are many reasons why you should do this if the reasons are valid for you.
So from my point of view, I just need to reinforce my original position.