Steve R
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Steve R »

Sam, I'd planned to do something similar, I'd planned to modify and keep the stock airbox, attaching a pipe & bend to meet the throttle body.

However like Greg I also couldn't find a local pipe shop that could make sufficiently good 90 degree bends in 3" or larger. Also there was the problem of getting small hose sized fittings either welded or brazed on.

In the end I elected for the bought route and I'm glad I did.
83' GTV6, 3.0 24v supercharged
SamW
Platinum
Platinum

Post by SamW »

Mine is going to be a reducer to 2.5" of 3.0" SS pipe with the ports welded on, then a 90 degree bend to another short piece of 3.0" pipe to an airfilter. It should be a lot like Greg's, I think we are using the same SS clamps. I ordered the wrong size ports, I have more coming, hopefully they will work.

Thanks Greg, if I have problems with these parts, I may contact you.
Steve R
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Steve R »

I compared this kit with the factory stock inlet parts back to back on a dyno yesterday.

With Greg's kit:
172 rwhp @ 6250rpm
193 ftlb @ 4500
more than 180ft lb between 2600 & 5800rpm

Temporariliy refitted factory airbox, KN filter panel, AFM, corrugated hose:
163 rwhp @6000
182 ftlb @ 4500
Torque was down everywhere in the measured range 2600 - 6600, it was about 5ftlb down at 2600, 11 down at peak, and the torque gap kept increasing as revs rose.

Also here's a plug for the engineering shop whose dyno it was as they were great guys:
Thurston Engineering, nr Chipping Ongar, Essex, UK. Colin runs the engineering shop, Peter operates the dyno. 01277 362135
DaveH
Gold
Gold

Post by DaveH »

Steve,

That's a good test of the std intake & afm versus Greg's kit & aftermarket ecu.

Can you post pics of the printouts?

I wonder where the power increase came from? How much was MS? How much was afm delete? How much was the different intake & filter?

dave
Steve R
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Steve R »

Hi Dave,

The car was tuned first on MS, then for the final run of the day I just swapped the inlet pipe for the factory one complete with AFM & airbox containing a (clean) KN filter panel.

You are right, it's a comparison of different filter+AFM delete. For both runs the car was runing on fully tuned MS controlled fuel and spark maps, so the only difference between the two runs was was the inlet hardware and about 3 minutes in time.

Running on MS no doubt helped, but as it should have helped both runs equally I think the back to back comparison should be valid.
Steve
rz
Platinum
Platinum

Post by rz »

no figures on the supercharger kit yet??haven't installed mine..still waiting for nice piping solutions..
Attachments
sc1.jpg
sc1.jpg (140.42 KiB) Viewed 11456 times
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

The nice pipe will be comming soon. I just added a blow off/bypass valve to it (a Bosch Porsche turbo unit) to smooth the supercharger's on/off transition, and insure no couplers fail due to pressure spikes when shifting. It also allows for a normal idle speed and totally eliminates the screeching sound when shifting with boost on.
The solid pipe is fully tested. The new valve was first tested last night and seems to work perfectly. It's now near OEM smooth. I want to put a few hundred miles on it with a 700 rpm idle speed setting to be sure.
The piping set up in that photo doesn't work! It worked fine with a V-Belt driving the supercharger because the belt would slip during shifts preventing boost spikes (something I did not figure out until a lot later). The 6 rib doesn't slip, it just spikes boost in that tube to about 60 psi and blows the couplers apart!
We do have figures on the supercharger 3.0 kit. With the pulleys you have it puts out 205 rear wheel horsepower. This is the setup that was used driving to California and back which is well documented at alfabb.com. Of course smaller pulleys will give more. I plan to dyno the higher boost set up in a week or two.
Steve R
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Steve R »

No blower on mine I'm afraid, so engine bay looks like this:
Attachments
Engine bay small pic 1.jpg
Engine bay small pic 1.jpg (234.18 KiB) Viewed 11340 times
Engine bay small pic 2.jpg
Engine bay small pic 2.jpg (208.73 KiB) Viewed 11339 times
Steve R
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Steve R »

and here's the dyno graph of AFM & stock airbox vs GG no AFM kit
Attachments
Dyno graph small pic.jpg
Dyno graph small pic.jpg (243.84 KiB) Viewed 11335 times
dan668s
Gold
Gold

Post by dan668s »

Steve R, thanks for the great product review.

I'm considering to buy one of Greg's intake kits, to use with my stock AFM.

I like the heatshield you have around the open air-filter. That's not part of Greg's kit is it? Have you made it yourself?

One of my worries is that the open filter without a heat-shield would get a lot of warm air from the engine. Will Greg's open filter solution suffer from getting warm air from the engine, or isn't it a big problem?
Alfa Romeo - The thinking man's car!
--------------------------------------------
2004 Alfa Romeo Sportwagon 1.9 JTD
1986 Alfa Romeo GTV6 2.5
Steve R
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Steve R »

Hi

I made the air box - it's just some thin aluminium sheet cut to shape and out of sight of the photo it also directs the factory cold air duct into the airbox with the filter, topped off with some household (fire retardent!) draught excluder along the top to seal against the bonnet. Very straightforward.

Does it need it? It's debateable, but I think so. When on the move there's enought air flow to keep things cool, but if you hit traffic or sit at some lights it gets pretty hot under there. The ECU I'm running lets me see and log exact temps & they decreased significantly with the shield in place.

regards
Steve