vince bhachu
Silver
Silver

buying old alfa's

Post by vince bhachu »

Iv'e got to admit, I have privatley sold over 30 alfa romeo's to date, various model ranges including modern type 164's sub 1000.00 gbp at the lower end of the market, cars are frequenlty placed in bargain type pages or equivalent so normal buyers know what they are looking for.

Any person with half a brain, and with basic DIY skills can inspect a vehicle themselves or by simply asking for an independent RAC or AA report prior to handing over any cash. I am not a car mechanic nor do I hold any engineering degree's in this field. But, can confirm that I have broken quite a few old Alfa's in my time, and being an enthusiast maintain my own cars by following simple mechanical instruction from workshop manuals.

The car is qustion was a 1990 75 3.0, bought as a thrash around for a month or so, and purchased one rainy foggy morning in Bradford (200 mile round trip), car happily cruised at 100plus mph without any mechanical problems and with the thought of having 8 months MOT remaining I felt re-assured. I knew what to expect when buying this vehicle and for the money I paid was not going to argue with an fellow alfisti. Car was sold as seen, and any problems from thereon would be for me to resolve and not blame the poor bloke I purchased the car from.

A local Barrister named the UK 1988 road traffic act as 'simply out of date and desperately needs updating to european law standards' where in spain and france MOT's or ITV's are given out every two years compared to a yearly inspection here.

The law is an easy way out for people to sue over pathetic issues like 'injury to feelings' or the buyer in this case trying to claim back 'stress and trauma' fees to the amount of nearly 4000.00 gbp, which was thrown out of court by the judge without any hesitation. I was happy just to pay back the 800.00 pounds and return of the vehicle, which the claimant refused to do so and scrapped it instead , but they had to pay over 1300 pounds in storage....ha ha, who feels stupid now??
Alfettish
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Alfettish »

HAHAHA that's funny.
Stress and trauma.
gtv11636
Gold
Gold

Post by gtv11636 »

What you sold to the poor guy was a car with no chassis rails, and without inner sills.
That was a dangerous car.
Trying to excuse your actions by claiming the guy was stupid is very low, even for you.
Even if a guy doesnt know shit about cars, it doesnt give you any right to be such an ass, and sell him a dangerous car.
I had the chance to view this car photos taken on the lift, and i'm considering putting them on here so that pepole could actualy see what you sold to the poor guy.
Stop using this forum to try make yourself look good after all you did to so many pepole.
I wonder why pepole still support your bullshit though :roll:
Bruce
Gold
Gold

Post by Bruce »

Can we see them please?
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

We have a 'voetstoets' law here in SA (from Dutch Law) which means that if the chap buys a rust bucket thats his problem. No latent or patent defect will cover him. Because of this we have an organisation here called the AA which helps those poor souls who know didley about cars. So for a minimal fee this poor souls can now use his brains and get someone else to give thorough report on the car. This report is so conclusive that any idiot will know what they are in for if they purchase this car and its pretty cheap.
Do you have anything like this overseas ?
I could probably understand some one from an African climate with low humididty not even knowing what rust is to fall into this trap BUT when you grow up in this weather where you even see rust on your bed you got put two and two together with old cheap cars.
I hope this chap realises that old Alfas are not for the faint hearted and possibly not even the selespeads(thats trauma).
Its also another story if some one tells the poor sod knowing he knows zippo about cars that this is the first rust free, rebuilt engine etc Alfa and he is actualy getting a 3000 pound car for 800 pounds.Thats misrepresentation of fact. Anyway who realy knows the details.
gtv11636
Gold
Gold

Post by gtv11636 »

Hi
Found only two for now, but i had lot more.
I'll try finding the rest later.
enjoy! :wink:

this are 2 pictures of different jacking points and the floor next to them.
Totaly gone!

vince bhachu
Silver
Silver

old alfa's

Post by vince bhachu »

Tomer....thanks for your kind assistance on this matter, since receiving your posts, I have become even more popular & busier and sales are on the up. people have two choices, either they want parts or cars, or either they don't simple. Infact I am privately selling two more GTv6's this weekend for restoration.

Like I said before, you could not see the extent of the corrosion underneath the car without having to stick it on a four poster ramp (facilities that I don't have) The fact of the matter is that even if I had advertised the car with or without MOT it would have been the same old dilemma.
rz
Platinum
Platinum

Post by rz »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Bruce
Gold
Gold

Post by Bruce »

.. so it sounds like an inspection was not carried out.
gtv11636
Gold
Gold

Post by gtv11636 »

Your welcome Vince!
Keep selling crappy cars and parts for who ever feels happy with them.
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

I didnt know Robert Ballard had recovered an alfa 75 from the Titanic's cargo holds?!. good job you can still get mot papers from christmas crackers :lol:
Last edited by mjr on Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

woops double post