Ideas for improving the site? Notice any problems? Please report them here.
cryellow
Silver
Silver

Notify Old Users

Post by cryellow »

I just stumbled on the new site after emailing a lot of people I knew almost none of whom had any idea we had moved.

How about a mass email to everyone registered at the old site notifying of the new site?
Hugo
Silver
Silver

Contacting All Old Members

Post by Hugo »

Dear All,
For nearly two months now, I was unable to find the new site, despite searching for hours for it, and using a variety of search engines, and going to every Alfa site I could find.

Finally, and purely by chance, I happened on a response to a parts querry on another site, which also supplied the address. In short, it was pure serendipity.

So,is there anyway there could be a redirection from the old site, or a relisting in Google etc?.

For my part, I will forward the new site address to all the links I have.

Regards

Hugo
PS. Today is a great day to re-establish contact to the best site on the web!
RHD South African 3 Litre and LHD 156 2.4 GTD Sportswagen
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

Since I don’t have any control over gtv6.org, I cannot set a redirect up - the domain name no longer resolves to the correct server which is why you get the 404 error when loading the site. I agree that a redirect would be the best solution to this problem though...
alfagtv6.com is registered with Google and most of the other search engines - it just takes some time for the existence of new sites to be recorded.
As to a mass email, that would have been ideal except that the list of email addresses is not extractable.
As Hugo mentioned, please contact other Transaxle Alfa guys and let them know the new URL.

Cheers,
Michael
1981 GTV6
cryellow
Silver
Silver

Redirect

Post by cryellow »

If you have no control AT ALL over GTV6.org, then there is nothing you can do.

But if the domain name is registered in your name, all you have to do is direct the DNS to point towards the default parked name servers that most companies that register domain names have, and then set up automatic forwarding to the new site.

You do not have to pay for hosting to get this forwarding. For example, at GoDaddy.com you just pay $8.95 per YEAR to register any domain, and then you can get this free parking on their name servers and forwarding to another site at no additional cost.

So, if you have any access at all to the company that registered the domain, then you can do the forwarding at no additional cost. Or, if the domain name has expired, you can register it now for 8.95 and have it forward as described above.

GoDaddy.com also provides really inexpensive hosting for the new site. No, I have no affiliation with G.Daddy lol but it is the least expensive domain registry and hosting company I have found so far.