Related to the Bowling & Grippo Fuel Injection system.
benski105
Gold
Gold

MS or MS-2?

Post by benski105 »

hi, im a new comer to this site as i only just recently bought a GTV6.
im turning my car into a race car.
iv been looking into and reading about MS.
i was wanting an opinion on whether i should go with MS-1 or 2?
my initial thought is to build a MS-1 and learn the ins and outs of the set up and then upgrade if and when i feel that im being limited by MS-1.
does this sound like a good path to take?
i think intially ill run the standard 2.5 but a 3.0 will be the target over the next year.
id like to hear some comments from people who have trodden that path.

thanks
Ben
1962 Giulia Ti Race-car
1969 Giulia Super
1987 GTV6- new race project.
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Ben I was faced with a similar decision for my 86 GTV6.I had what I considered to be a good basic working knowledge of the L-Jet system.I elected to go with MSII because I knew that to get the most out of my engine I needed to blend the optimum fuelling with better ignition control.I have progressed to the point where I have MSII controlling fuel and am 99% satisfied after 3 months of extensive tuning and fidling.I will advance to ignition control next and am pleased that I chose the route which gives me that option.If you go with MSI you won't have as much flexibilty in the future.
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

VEMS...

:wink:
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
benski105
Gold
Gold

MS or MS-2?

Post by benski105 »

thanks murray for the input. i was thinking that might be the case!
initially id thought to go MS-1 but i guess its not going to be anyharder to set up in the short term. plus i have the capability to improve and upgrade to the MS-2 extra functions without so much hassle in the long term.

ill keep you posted as to how it all goes. im sure ill have a million and one questions when it comes to installing.

ben
1962 Giulia Ti Race-car
1969 Giulia Super
benski105
Gold
Gold

MS or MS-2? or vems

Post by benski105 »

hi mats,
in my research iv come across vems.
does it integrate well with an alfa?
part of the beauty of MS is that i could return back to the L-jet should i needquite easily, can this be done with vems?
also, how does the set up cost compare and tunability between the two? im on a reasonably tight budget so cant spend loads on a system.
on the flipside. does vems offer benefits that MS doesn't that are worth paying for?
nice looking gtv by the way. mines in bits so its nice to see a hot race car together.

ben
1962 Giulia Ti Race-car
1969 Giulia Super
benski105
Gold
Gold

mS or MS-2?

Post by benski105 »

i also meant to ask about the opinion on megaview!
is a worthwhile investment?
does it get used enough to warrant having?

thaqnks

ben
1962 Giulia Ti Race-car
1969 Giulia Super
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

VEMS is kind of the same thing as MS but built with the proper bits som much sturdier and not so many patchy things...
You can choose how you want to configure your system, you can run it just like a MS installation or you can go all out and run it as fully sequential injection and direct fire...

Tuning software is the same as MS btw and you can have it configured to use a LCD display in the dash.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
kredden
Silver
Silver

Post by kredden »

I've just started looking into MS for my 3.0L Verde and am not sure if I should go with the MS-I or MS-II. From the poking around I've done so far it seems that the mods that we need to do for the Milano's/GTV6's have all been documented on the MS-I's? Are they the same mods on the MS-II's?

The MS-II also seems to be quite a bit more expensive than the MS-I, is it worth the extra $'s?

Thanks,
Kevin
87 Verde
86 Spider
Milano Registry Custodian (www.alfamilano.com)
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Are they the same mods on the MS-II's?
Kevin,
Basically the "mods" required are the same.Steve's writeup is an excellent starting point and I will gladly guide you through the steps to required to implement MSII.

MSII isn't really that much more ($60) on the V3.0 board which you should go for anyway.The v3.0 board is more robust electronically and MSII includes the driver circuit (flyback) for low impedance injectors which we have on our Alfa's.It also has a much faster processor and gives you much more flexibility and precision.

Definately plan on doing this in 2 steps, fuel first - ignition second it will make the experience much more enjoyable :twisted:

If you have a laptop that you can use in the car to tune with then the Megaview option is not required.

I've put a lot of miles (15k miles 24k kms) on my 2.5L with MSII this year ,a lot of it on the track and I am very satisfied with the results,more hp & torque,better fuel economy,flawless starts and no more AFM :evil:
The whole process has taught me a lot about engines and fuel injection in general.Who knows-eventually I might even win a race :lol:
1986-GTV6
kredden
Silver
Silver

Post by kredden »

Murray,

Thanks! I will definitely take you up on the offer. There is another guy on the AlfaBB that is thinking of doing the same this winter as well.

I need to do some more reading of the available materials and then the questions will start...

Kevin
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Kevin yes read it all until your eyes bleed :lol:
There's tons of documentation available and it really helps to feel completely comfortable with the concepts before proceding.
Just had a look at your website,excellent writeup and images of your engine pull and rebuild.How did it end up ? Are you still running with the 164 engine ?
1986-GTV6
kredden
Silver
Silver

Post by kredden »

Yup, still running the 164 engine. Has been running pretty well but this one burns oil too, although a lot less than the previous one! It has started to smoke somewhat now but only when I idle for awhile or when I first start up after it has been sitting for awhile (outside temp doesn't matter), as soon as I stomp on it after it has warmed up the smoke goes away. But that is a topic for another thread :-).

Kevin
87 Verde
86 Spider
Milano Registry Custodian (www.alfamilano.com)