Related to the Bowling & Grippo Fuel Injection system.
bmacf
Gold
Gold

Removing AFM, what to do about temp sensor?

Post by bmacf »

Has anybody replaced their AFM yet and found an alternative temp sensor? I seem to recall that Peter dismantled his AFM to get the temp sensor out of it. I'd prefer to keep my AFM (intact) in the trunk and use some sort of GM temp sensor. Anbody have luck with that yet?

And I need to find some kind of 3.25" tube to go from my throttle body to the air filter. Anybody got a good source?

Bill in MD
Milano 3.0 now a squirter :D
Bill in MD
'88 Alfa Milano Verde x 2
'77 Fiat Spider
P.Webb
Gold
Gold

Post by P.Webb »

Yep. Vibrant Performance.

They make a 3" 45deg tube that fits right onto the stock TB with the silicone coupler. It has a hole drilled in it already that the GM temp sensor screws right in to. Plug the wires from the temp sensor into the AFM connector.

The tube is about $35. While you're at it, see if you can find a way to get cold air into the engine. It will help a lot as you'll see from the IAT on the datalog.

-Peter
The true joy of an Alfa Romeo is behind the wheel.
bmacf
Gold
Gold

Post by bmacf »

Thanks a lot Peter. I think you told me about Vibrant one time before. I'm moving to a 164 throttle body (with alfa 155 tps) and its a hair over 3" in dia. I'd guess those 3" silicon couples would stretch. That looks so darn simple I might just have it installed by the spring track school season. They even have vacuum tubing fittings at Vibrant!

Right now I have a pretty hokey heat shield around my cone filter (currently connected to a bmw AFM- needs to go). Looks like I need to look at my own MS datalogs to see what the IAT is.

Thanks for the tips - hopefully I'll have something together by the end of February.

Bill in MD
Bill in MD
'88 Alfa Milano Verde x 2
'77 Fiat Spider
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

Here is my test system. I used Greg's kit, just replacing the AFM with a section of 3" exhaust pipe. I got the temp sensor and harness connector from a spare AFM I had. This way, I reckon that if MS ever fails, I can swap in the AFM and ECU to get the car drivable in minutes.
Once I have it tuned and finalized, I'll clean up the wiring harness.
I'll also have to rig a cold air intake system, possibly throwing out the inner high beam headlights.... I can see on the datalogs that my intake temps are 20 degrees F higher than ambient.
I’ll test the car without the AFM tomorrow :D
Attachments
intake close-up
intake close-up
MS_intake_cl.jpg (67.44 KiB) Viewed 4649 times
intake
intake
MS_intake.jpg (140.84 KiB) Viewed 4648 times
Michael
1981 GTV6