Related to the Bowling & Grippo Fuel Injection system.
joey
Gold
Gold

Sourcing modded MS parts in Australia.... trans equivalents?

Post by joey »

Hi guys,

I'm having trouble sourcing two of NPN type ZTX751 or equivalent (1amp) & four of IRFIZ34G type (same as Q2 & Q7 in the standard MS build).

I went to Jaycar electronics and they said nothing turns up with those IDs.... surely there must be equivalents somewhere in oz?

are digikey and that joint in the UK the only places that have these? :shock:

Also, i grabbed some caps for the fuel circuit mod... are these a suitable type? i got both greencap and mains. I think the mains are ok, but what about greencaps (colored brown for some reason, heh) ? they are rated at 630v which should be good (specs stat, at least 250v) and are marked 104K, 100NK and 220NK, they are quite large... i've attached a photo, these are the right type, and will work ok right? as i said they are large and i put some 1/2 watt 2.2Kohm resistors there for comparison.

(that reads the correct rating right? 0.01uf, 0.1uf and 0.22uf)

thanks for your time and help,

joe
Attachments
are these okay?
are these okay?
caps.jpg (19.22 KiB) Viewed 11811 times
David
Gold
Gold

Post by David »

Joey,

Jaycar Bris gave me much the same response & weren't much help. I got most of the extra bits from Prime Electronics. They were most helpful. Let me know how you go, I'll pick them for you if you can't get them.

www.prime-electronics.com.au

The stuff you have looks very similar to the extra bits I had to get. Yes they are big compared to the resistors.

David
1985 GTV6 3.0 Zender Body Kit - Red
joey
Gold
Gold

Post by joey »

thanks so much for that dave, i've fired them off an email.. hopefully they'll ship... stick it in an envelope.. whatever :lol:

well... good news for me... i jumpered the board grounds to test out the sensors per step 54 or whatever, and it looks damn good!

everything works okay, and it measured the pressure at 98kpa... so i assume melbourne's elevation is around 300m if this is reading right...

so i guess my caps worked fine... all i've got to do now is get those trans for the fuel circuit and i'm good to go...

also, is this what you guys are using for your rad fans (if you bothered) http://www.allproducts.com/ee/bipolar/04.html

cheers, this is damn exciting.

joe
David
Gold
Gold

Post by David »

Joey,

Jaycar have some larger square ones that fit really well around the fan cables plastic casing. I didn't mean to bag Jaycar generally as they have a great range of stuff, it was only when looking for alternatives to things they don't stock they lost interest.

http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productView.a ... &SUBCATID=

David
joey
Gold
Gold

Post by joey »

heh, thanks dave, i was gunna get those from jaycar, i just found that pic easily off a google search... thanks for your input mate, the square ones it is!
David
Gold
Gold

Post by David »

Joey,

I gave you a bum steer on the ZTX751 & IRFIZ34G. I did end up having to go back to Digikey for the ZTX751. How could I forget, I ticked the wrong freight box and they charged me $1M for freight although I did get them in 3 days.

I have a spare ZTX751 & 3 x IRFIZ34G's but will need them for my next MS install, in a couple of month's time. However, if you want to order some more and pay the slow boat shipping rate, I'd be happy to send you my spares to get you going and you can replace them when your shipment arrives. Get a quote for freight first though and see what's the best rate v the time you have to wait.

David
joey
Gold
Gold

Post by joey »

ah no worries mate, happens.

but shit dave u went kidding about the shipping !

guys get a load of this for some BS:

https://sales.digikey.com/US/help/ship_cost_int.shtml

AND for orders under 25USD, thats a 5USD handling fee PLUS an arbitary 6USD int shipping fee !

damn, lube me up boys cos i'm getting ^*#%ed

thanks for the offer of help mate, but i thought i'ld go one better.. i ordered a bunch to get my order up to 25USD, including some redundant IC's and such that people have reported can get burned out...

here's my order:

Quant.---Digikey ref:---------Description:
---8x----ZTX751-ND-------TRANS PNP -60V -2000MA TO-92
---12x--IRFIZ34G----------HEX/MOS N-CH 60V 20A TO-220FP
---1x---160-1300-5-ND---OPTOISOLATOR W/BASE 6-DIP
---1x---IXDI404PI-ND-----IC MOSFET DRIVER LS 4A DUAL 8DIP
---1x---AE7208-ND--------IC SOCKET MACH PIN ST 8POS GOLD
---1x---MAX232CPE-ND---IC 2DVR/2RCVR RS232 5V 16-DIP

so anyone in AUS or i s'pose NZ who needs these can now grab them off me... i dont wanna give digikey the satisfaction of getting 11USD just to grab a component from another poor innocent MS user down under!

if you wanted just a ZTX751 and IRFIZ34G, that will cost you at minimum 18USDshipping+11USDhandling = $29USD from digikey!!!

i'll let you know when it comes (1 week predicted).

cheers,

joe
joey
Gold
Gold

Post by joey »

just like to add i'ld be pissed if they were available from an honest Australian dealer all along...
"Fun is an unintended, unforeseen, and usually undignified consequence of life."
David
Gold
Gold

Post by David »

Joey,

Yeh, don't remind me. It still hurts and I only ordered 2 of the ZTX751's.
I wish I had known you were ordering as I would have picked up a couple more at the same time.

I'll take a couple of the ZTX751's please. (As long as your AUS freight charges are reasonable). Actually it might be cheaper for me to fly down and pick them up from you rather than pay US shipping from Digikey. :lol:

Let me know when you have the goods.

David
joey
Gold
Gold

Post by joey »

for you, one million dollar ! :wink:

but you're right, you know, if we had a brain or were co-ordinated, we would have put in a big order and ordered it in together splitting the price down the middle with a lot of transistors to re-sell to other aussies... instead of paying c. 50USD a piece for personal consumption!

on the other hand i just realised i'm incredibly stupid ordering 8x ZTX when 10x would have been 0.4USD cheaper !

i've learnt 2 valuable lessons from building this MS:
1) dont solder orientation-sensitive bits when dead tired, 3am in the morning and..
2) dont order things when furious from digikey..

oh well, hopefully as digikey has a reputation for doing, they will throw in the 2 extra realising my error...

dag nab-it !
joey
Gold
Gold

Post by joey »

well dave, gotta hand it to them digikey boys, the shipping is fast !

it has arrived, if you still would like 2 of the ztx trans, i have them ready for shipping... how do you feel about 5 bucks?

send me your details via pm or email wankski at hotmail.com if still interested.
David
Gold
Gold

Post by David »

Joey,

Yes I'll take them. PM on the way.

By the way, have a look here, I think they have it all in AUS. It pays to read some of the MSEFI stuff. As they say BUGGER!

http://au.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/ ... search&y=5

Do a search on the IRFI's also...

David
joey
Gold
Gold

Post by joey »

ah damn dave, you're trying to mess with my mental well being aren't ya mate?

i checked it out, they dont have IRFIZ34"G", but have IRFIZ34"N" , whats more, while digikey lists the G as 1.14USD ea, this aussie joint has them at nearly 7 bucks a pop.

expensive...

woohoo ! i still have the IRFIZ34N monopoly in Oz ! and i have 12 ! muhaha.

its good tho they have the ZTX, thats the only thing i may want more of, sweet...

i put down a mock order there for 5(min order) ZTX and just 2 IRFIs and that came out to $23AUD, ex shipping (needed to join up before i could proceed) which i would say would be around $10, so thats exactly half what i paid at digikey, but as you can see i got much more there and the exact IRFI we need.

i think if we aussie alfisti (or any l-jet user) were to order from digikey, and were orgainsed to take orders and share the cost of shipping, it wouldnt be bad at all !

cheers,

joe