Related to the Bowling & Grippo Fuel Injection system.
Peab
Silver
Silver

mapdot vs. tps

Post by Peab »

Have any of you tried both the mapdot code and compared it to running the MS with the true TPS ?
Is there any difference?

I have been planning to install my MS with the mapdot code, but since winter is long and cold here in norway and install/tuning will have to wait until spring, i have actually have time to find a suitable TPS if there is any reason to put in the effort..
P.Webb
Gold
Gold

Post by P.Webb »

A few things to consider.

The TPSdotAE comes on a little quicker than the MAPdot. It appears the ADC counts change more rapidly in the TPS vs the MAP sensor. That said, once you have a well tuned VE table, the table should be pretty close to the appropriate fueling where the AE is only a minor adjustment, so in essence you have MAPdotAE by virtue of the speed/density alg.

If you have lumpy cams, the MAPdotAE will trigger an accel event at idle or low speed cruise because of MAP fluctations caused by high overlap. It is possible to smooth out the MAP signal with lumpy cams by using a mig tip filter in the MAP line.

You can solve the lumpy cam problem by setting the TPS v/s high so that minor fluctuations don't trigger accel. That will affect AE.

Fitting a TPS is pretty easy. You'll need a D-shaft clockwise 3-wire TPS. I haven't found a bolt-on yet so almost any brand will do. I use the Bosch 122 001 TPS from a late Alfa, Volvo, BMW that all use the same number. You can make an adapter plate very simply with a hand drill. The plate has holes that adapt the bolt pattern. You'll need to cut the throttle D-shaft or add spacers because the stock shaft is longer than the TPS is deep.

You can bolt a 164 throttle onto the early plenum. The bolt pattern is exact. You'll need to grid off a couple of ears. You need to retain the bell-crank from the stock plenum because the pedal geometery is too short so the throttle doesn't open all the way.

HTH

-Peter
The true joy of an Alfa Romeo is behind the wheel.
Mark Mallett
Silver
Silver

Post by Mark Mallett »

Still trying to decide myself which version to go with for my 87 Milano. Somewhat lumpy idle. The top end has seen some work (2.5L) prior to my ownership. I have no way of knowing if the cams are stock or not. I havn't had any luck tracking down their specs.

Cam numbers appear to be : 119-00-03-201-25 in case anyone may recognize these. Please email if this is going off topic.

Thanks Mark
87 Milano Silver
87 Milano Gold
91 164L
P.Webb
Gold
Gold

Post by P.Webb »

Those are stock 2.5 V6 cams. From the Centerline website/catalog.

http://www.centerlinealfa.com/tips/images/p51.pdf

The "version" is a simple code download for MAPdotAE and TPSdotAE. Or 2 clicks from MegaTune if you're using the MSn-E code.

Start with the -E code. Several of us are running it now so we can help you out with tuning files and advice. Get your kit built and follow the directions for the MSn-E flash. Be very careful regarding versions of the Msn-E code and MT.

Good luck.

-Peter
The true joy of an Alfa Romeo is behind the wheel.
Mark Mallett
Silver
Silver

Post by Mark Mallett »

Thanks for the info on the cams / firmware. Can't wait to get the MS built :D

Mark
87 Milano Silver
87 Milano Gold
91 164L