Related to the Bowling & Grippo Fuel Injection system.
bmacf
Gold
Gold

Throttle bodies / throttle sensors

Post by bmacf »

Hey everyone, I had heard that the 164 throttle body was bigger than that on my milano. Doesn't look to be the case because my milano 3.0 throttle is 2.75" in diameter and a 164 throttle body I bought is the same. I measured the diameter on the side of the throttle that bolts to the plenum.

Another thing, I thought the Alfa 155 V6 throttle body sensor was supposed to work on our throttle bodies. Nope! I have bosch tps 0 280 122 001 and the throttle spindle is too long to work with this tps. Ofcourse I did my parts research via the web and maybe this isn't the right tps. Anybody succesfull make the switch from the stock bosch throttle switch to a tps (with Megasquirt)?

Another bummer, I got a 45 degree vibrant performance intake tube to eliminate the rubber hose and my AFM. The angle isn't right - I'm going to get a 90 degree tube instead (3" dia.).

I'm 0-3 on modifications for today, but hopefully I'll make better progress next weekend.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Bill in MD
Bill in MD
'88 Alfa Milano Verde x 2
'77 Fiat Spider
Peab
Silver
Silver

Post by Peab »

I think there are some descriptions in other threads about making an adapter plate for the TPS. With a bit of grinding and with the adapter, your TPS should be possible to bolt on. I havn't done it myself, so i can't give exact details.

About that tube from Vibrant performance; how do you attach the vaccum tubes on your intake ? You could possibly use a 45deg silicone bend with the tube to get the 90deg total. I see Vibrant have some vacuum connectors that doesn't require welding. Did you use those ? I tried to send Vibrant an email inquiry, but there was no reply. How did you get in contact with them ?
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

I generally don't like to advertize in the forum. However in this case I can't resist. I have Silicone elbows in most popular sizes and angles plus welded steel vacuum ports to attach them. Everything you could need to fabricate a complete intake system. I also sell a complete intake for cars not using an AFM, complete with brackets, and whatever combo of vacuum and sensor ports you want. The complete set up is a bolt on, no hassle unit.

Greg Gordon www.oldebottles.com/italiancars.htm
bmacf
Gold
Gold

Post by bmacf »

You know Greg, if I were to do this intake thing again, I would definitely buy your silicon tube. I'd want it a little longer than your stock design, but i seem to recall you said that was possible. This vibrant thing was somewhat of an impulse buy and I have to admit I liked the thought of that shiny aluminum tube.

To Peab, I bought the special Vibrant vacuum fittings and they cost a good $8-9 or so. The cost has really added up. I'll try to find my invoice, but I'm up to $100 for the intake and I still have a silicon 3"x3.5" adapter hose on order. You have to order through a distributor by the way - I never actually talked to the company. Now that I'm having second thoughts I can't return the parts without a return fee.

Pictures soon...

Bill in MD
Bill in MD
'77 Fiat Spider
bmacf
Gold
Gold

Post by bmacf »

Peab, I'm going to use the 3" x 3.5" adapter silicon hose to go from the 3" tube to the somewhat larger OD throttle body (3.25" or so). Give me anothe week and perhaps I'll have a picture - don't have all the parts yet.

Thanks,
Bill
Bill in MD
'77 Fiat Spider
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Hi Bill,
I like the thought of shiny aluminum and red silicone too so I understand the impulse. My concern is that is won't work. Vibrant does not make a silicone coupler, elbow or anything that fits the GTV6/Milano Plenum.

As for length, our current Milano design (new picture of page 5 of my site) can't be any longer, it places the filter as far forward as possible. We even have an adapter kit to move the filter outside the engine bay although it's only for track use

P.S. If you get stuck and can't get the Vibrant hose to fit the Milano Plenum P.M. or e mail me, I have a cheap fix for this.
P.Webb
Gold
Gold

Post by P.Webb »

Here's how I did mine originally with the Vibrant intake tube. When I installed the MS, I just removed the AFM and put the filter directly on the end. The guy that had my setup now is doing the same thing on his Verde.

Just build yourself something like the picture below. Get rid of that restrictive stock plenum and runners.
Attachments
Engine05.jpg
Engine05.jpg (140.85 KiB) Viewed 6072 times
Install24.jpg
Install24.jpg (181.1 KiB) Viewed 6071 times
The true joy of an Alfa Romeo is behind the wheel.