<  MegaSquirt Fuel Injection  ~  MSI build questions regarding magnetic chokes. S.R. build.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:43 am
SilverSilverJoined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:55 amPosts: 7
hi guys,
im following steve rossers build, and wondering what size magnetic chokes to get?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:34 am
User avatarPlatinumPlatinumJoined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:06 pmPosts: 221Location: Dorset UK
Hi, From memory I just used whatever size had a big enough cable hole through the middle to fit over the power cables for the fans - 3mm hole or so would do it.

As an asside, haven't touched my MS install for several years - once it's fine tuned there's no reason for it not to be completely reliable to the point it just becomes a "forget about" part.

Although now I've said that out loud something is bound to break !!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:09 pm
SilverSilverJoined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:55 amPosts: 7
hi steve,
excellent walkthrough.

i went to jaycar, our local elec place, and they have inline magnetic chokes and the coiled loop type, and said that i should find out how big i would need.

i presume your talking about copper coiled loop ones? then pass the fan wires through the middle of the loop?

heres a link to jaycar's site and choke's that im talking about...

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productResults ... rm=KEYWORD

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:28 am
User avatarPlatinumPlatinumJoined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:06 pmPosts: 221Location: Dorset UK
I reckon that would do the trick, also and more simply magnetic chokes work too. Like this:
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/sear ... R=0238283-

Although I just picked mine up from a local in car audio shop.

I must admit I'm giving hints purely from memory a since I wrote that walkthrough some years ago and subsequently changed my MSI to run full ignition control in addition to fuel maps - using VW coil and ignitor with a welded up Alfa dizzy. Didn't take photo's I'm afraid, but again works great & I haven't had to look at it since tuning the full MS control.

Hence I apologise in advance that memory is a bit rusty!