Related to the Bowling & Grippo Fuel Injection system.
mtr005
Silver
Silver

pwm idle valve Q

Post by mtr005 »

Hey everyone,
I was just after some info or input on the subject of pwm idle valve. I have never really had anything to do with them and I am at the part of my MS build that I need to decide if I am going to use one or not. From what I understand the 2.5 has an aux air valve instead but people have issues with these. I decided to build this MS v3 for the standard engine and if all goes well I will build another one for the 24v I am getting ready to fit. I was wondering if there was a better alternative to this aav and if it is fairly straight forward I might aswell change it before I decide on what to do with the MS. My old sprint used to run with a wolf3d ecu and I think that adjusted the ignition for cold starts and it seemed to work fairly well, has MS got this capability?
Thanks for any help

Tim
'85 GTV6
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: pwm idle valve Q

Post by Michael »

Hi Tim:

I currently have no idle speed control (24valve running MS II) simply because I have not had the time to implement one. Even so, its pretty reaosnable. The car starts immediately (no throttle required) but after it starts I find I need to keep the throttle open wider than normal to maintain a reasonable idle speed.
I think there are 2 options - Idle Air Control valves (using a stepper motor) or a Fast Idle Valve. The latter looks much easier - but I think the IAC (stepper motor) is a better design, & is what I plan on using. Diyautotune.com sells a simple IAC body for installing a IAC valve from a Jeep 4.0l motor:
http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/cust ... -p-69.html
MS II or III can control the stepper quite easily AFAIK.
My next project 8)
Michael
1981 GTV6
mtr005
Silver
Silver

Post by mtr005 »

Hi michael,
thanks for the reply. That seems to be a pretty good solution for the problem. Would this work any better than the oem idle valve? If so how? sorry about the ignorance but as I said I've never had anything to do with them. I don't want to be changing it for the sake of it but am happy to if it is a worthwhile mod. In any case it seems that I won't have to worry about adding the hardware that is necessary for using a pwm valve.
Cheers
Tim
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

I just use a manual valve in place of the original AAV. It's a lot easier, less expensive, and it's bullet proof.

Greg,
www.hiperformancestore.com
www.okinjectors.com
mtr005
Silver
Silver

Post by mtr005 »

thanks greg,
I started looking at ideas for a manual setup and came across a really good thread on alfabb that u were talking about it there aswell :D not sure which way i'm going to go now. upgrading it to the jeep valve should make it better and hopefully more reliable but putting a manual valve in will get rid of even having to think about reliability.
thanks for both of the suggestions. They were both really helpfull

Tim