Related to the Bowling & Grippo Fuel Injection system.
zambon
Verde
Verde

Which ljet boxes are the same as the Alfa´s?

Post by zambon »

Which ljet systems are interchangeable with ours? I would like to buy one so that I may use the wiring harness to connect to the MS that I have not yet purchased/assembled. I am sure that I have read this information on the board, but I cant locate it right now.
Oh, and while I am at it I guess I will ad another silly question: With the MS pigtail, how do you connect to the car´s wiring harness? Or do you connect directly to the wires?
Peab
Silver
Silver

Post by Peab »

I don't have a complete list of cars with similar L-Jet, but several BMW's from the late 80ies have them. Other European brands as well, like Opel and Fiat should have them.

I made a pigtail to connect to the L-Jet wiring harness. I took the 35 pin Amp connector out of a broken L-Jet case (from a Fiat) and soldered wires to a DB37 female connector in one end, and spade connectors to couple them to the Amp(L-Jet) connector in the other end. I hade a reversed signal on the TPS, so the spades came in handy, as it was just to re-plug the wires.

The Amp 35 pin plug is difficult to get hold of, so the scrapyard is your best option.

The problem with the pigtail solution is that space is limited, so it is wise to make the leads as short as possible in order to get the thing to fit into the GTV-6. I need to shorten mine.
David
Gold
Gold

Post by David »

Hear's how I did my install on the L-Jet socket from an old L-Jet case. There are plenty of cars that had them. Leave the L-Jet wiring harness in the car as is.

http://www.alfagtv6.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=219&start=30

I also soldered the wires to the L-Jet pins. They are easy enough to change if you get them wrong.

David
1985 GTV6 3.0 Zender Body Kit - Red
Peab
Silver
Silver

Post by Peab »

Really nice work on that adapter, David. If it is possible, could you make a dimensional drawing of your mounting plate ? I would like to copy your work there. I'm currently re-working my adaptercable, with shorter wires, so i can get it to fit inside the L-Jet compartment. I had the MS box hanging in plastic strips as a temporary install, but now that everything works, i can solder everything and make a permanent install.

P.
Reale
Gold
Gold

L-Jet boxes

Post by Reale »

I know this is not exactly helpful, but I am pretty sure that there are Audi and Volvo ECUs that mate to the GTV6 L-jet connector. I used an Audi one (I think) for my prototype L-Jet adapter, and it had a pretty cool brushed aluminum cover. I kind of troll E-Bay for ones with pictures that look right, and if they are really cheap, buy them.
-Al
Al Mitchell
Reale Motorsports
#82 E Production
Alfa Romeo GTV6
bmacf
Gold
Gold

Post by bmacf »

Zamani, I bought on ebay a ljet box so I could sacrifice the header for my MS project, but it turned out not to have all the header pin/connectors. So when you did an ljet box, just make sure it has all the pins (readily visible on the outside of the box). If all you want is the header, all the lject boxes use the same type of connector...I think.

Good luck. Welcome to the fray.

Bill in Maryland, US
Bill in MD
'88 Alfa Milano Verde x 2
'77 Fiat Spider
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

ebayed a bmw 328 box last night. Should be the same harness, right?
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

328i?? If I remember correctly the 328i in recent times is the E36 with an M50B28 engine, motronic something or rather version. I'm not sure if the Motronic header pins are compatible with L-Jet. don't you mean a 528i (E12) ?
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

here is the item description for the box I "won" on the ebay...

BMW 328 Bosch L-Jetronic ECM/ECU. Remanufactured by ProgRama. Bosch part number 0 280 000 328. BMW part number 13 61 1 466 343

I dont know much about BMs, it never occured to me that it might be a motronic ecu.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... AMEWN%3AIT

What does it look like to you?
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

What you are saying is that there is no such thing as an e30 328 with L-jet?
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

E30s with L-Jet in the US.... maybe the 318i. All the 325e/i had motronic. No such thing as a E30 328i. I think the seller meant 328 as the serial number, so you may be ok.

Besides for $1.....? Yesterday I had to pay $1.50 for a Mars candy bar.
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

yeah I am pumped up to have won it for $1. Shipping brings it to 13 in typical ebay fashion...
Nearly nothing ventured, hopefully somthing will be gained.
Have you ever looked at a motronic box? Does it look the same?
I need to just relax and wait until it comes in the mail and such.
enzo
Platinum
Platinum

Post by enzo »

the motronic connector from a 75 2.0TS will fit to...ok it's on plastic, but connectors are the same...
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

turns out that the ebay bmw box was the wrong type. Luck was on my side, however, as the seller was Al :shock: He was able to set the record straight for me and he even refunded my $1. What a guy :wink:
Another board member set me up with a different bmw box so I am ready to go. I have my boards and almost all of my digikey parts. Will begin soldering very soon.

For the record:
As I currently understand it, the boxes from the early 80s 7 series and 6 series bimmers are the ticket.

Hope that helps the next guy.