Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
GTV27
Platinum
Platinum

Re: GTV6 Zender

Post by GTV27 »

ice works and doesn't strip paint - but can 'burn' fingers, so be careful out there!
Jason
1983 GTV6 2.8 litre
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Re: GTV6, ex Zender

Post by PietereQ »

Finally after few months, next stage is in effect. Few days ago gtv6 left my garage for seam welding and interior paintjob:

I have also conjured my DIY rods for the Watts linkage. I would have gone with the rsr kit but when you're stretched on funds you need to become a tinkerer. The whole cost inlcuding labor and materials was around 90 euros... still need to powder coat them. Again, thanks Kevin for help!

And on the VERY SAME DAY I had my gtv6 towed to the shop my daily drive 156 decided, that she needs a ride also... Spring pan on the left rear wheel broke off from the damper and the spring locked the rear tyre :shock: good this happened in traffic... another reason to hate McPherson strut...

PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Re: GTV6, ex Zender

Post by PietereQ »

My progress is as rapid as weathering of the Parthenon. Anyways I had the interior painted yesterday, and all the paintcoat was refreshed too. Re assembly may begin at last. :)

killaz
Platinum
Platinum

Re: GTV6, ex Zender, turning into a racer

Post by killaz »

GTV6 reborn! :)

Good luck with assembling!
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Starting to look like you mean business Pete but you're a typical polak and let them fit your steering wheel on the wrong side.. :mrgreen:

Keep it up fella, it's coming along great !
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
BradGTV
Gold
Gold

Post by BradGTV »

car looks great,
whats the benefit of the adjustable watts linkage over standard?
79 GTV (sr20) 83 GTV (TS) 85 GTV, 76 GT, 84 GTV6, 91 164, 88 75 TS & 89 75 TS
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

To change roll centre.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

Thanks guys!

I came to a point where i have ton of stuff ready for installation, need two tons more, but somehow I cannot really state when the car will be finished. This is taking so long that I already I'm not taking into account that it will be finished eva! :lol: Reason is I dont want to redo things. If I cannot afford something atm I'll better wait and do it the right way later,... on the other hand it would be really nice to feel the car and train at last. Damn I miss the howl of V6 so much :(

As for the linkage... I don't really know what it does, but I've been told by Mike (and it wasn't some 'roll something' techno-babble) it's good to have some shiny stuff on your de Dion especially if you re going to a transaxle meet :D

Chrome it maybe.... X you're in? :mrgreen:
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

Pathetic progress but progress anyway. Really I had little time to do anything with the car this year, and it's been past 3 weeks when I actually started to work on her.
So after much debate, I've decided to go with 28mm drop spindles:

Now minimum wheel size is 16 inch.

BTW did you know that v6 cars have drop spindles? Well sort of, the spigot is few cm "lower" than the one on 4 stud spindles. Too bad I didn't take a picture for comparison, since I used 75 1.8 carb spindles as donors.

I have moved surge tank and all the pumps into the trunk.

I'll probably need to replace the hoses with fancy mocal, steel braided ones for the sake of the rules. However, since I'm not goind to start racing In championship series this year, rubber ones will do just fine. I still hope to track test the car this summer since I'm leaving the country for half a year or longer.
Last edited by PietereQ on Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

After sitting for 3 years nex to the car, the engine was put into the car. I've run pumps for a minute to rid fuel system of any air and, atfer that the engine fired right away, like it was nothing. Revs fine and idles too, still need to check timing and clearances.

Since I'm recently driving new turbo gasoline car, and and a sleepy french compact, THAT throttle response is what I've longed for. It even got better with lighweight flywheel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lWJ8w3_diU

And upper a-arm uniball mod. I used Fluro uniballs from their motorsport line of bearings.

kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

That throttle response is fricken fast . Is prop in .
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

Kevin, no the propshaft wasnt in at the moment. But now, baffingly with driveshaft installed the response isn't much sloppier at all. That flywheel was deffinately worth the money.
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

Oh my. It has been 5 years since I drove my gtv6... Anyway just telling, me and my car is alive. First stage has been completed. Car turns, accelerates, brakes, howls on wot ;) just a little teaser, more pictures and text to follow:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

Few pics from first field testing in five years! Its really amazing how ton of information found here takes form in a car that turns in so easily and behaves so predictable, that it's hard to accept that it was the "same" car before. Too bad I didn't have any decent semislicks, (had to go with pirelli p zero nero) but still the changes in car's handling are dramatic. The solid driveshaft did fare well, which couldn't be said same for the clutch as it had started making rather unsettling noises on release, anyways the season is over for me so there will be opportunity to drop and inspect the transaxle assembly.
Cheers guys!

3,5 deg negative camber at work ;)

kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Looking good . Have you got a few picks of the Gaz shocks set up in front as I got a friend who is installing same set up on an alfetta . Just want to see how you did the top mount . Did you have to open the upper control arm with those size springs?