Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
rhodes1
Gold
Gold

Exhaust system

Post by rhodes1 »

Hello mate, how is the red devil coming along?

The exhaust is on the "will be done" as in "has not be done yet" list.

Gregg is essentially copying what he did with Martin de Campo's Callaway exhaust system. I originally wished to go with a Stebro system but when Gregg told me how well Martin's custom set up went with the 3" I said great. It runs on the left side and the tip juts out from the bumper in the exact same location as the original off centre. Gregg did it in Martin's so I am confident he can do it again. I am curious of exhaust note, but he explains that a Callaway motor produces a very different sound than that of the standard 2.5. This worries me some as I really like the sweet sound of the 2.5 coming out of an Ansa. So we'll have to wait and see.

I too wished to split the exhaust at the arse end, but could not make sense of cutting up the holder for the spare tyre, so we've got twin tips very much like stock.

Thank you for the comments, I am chomping at the bit to read your next update. By the way did you lighten the gears in your transaxel?

Getting to be a lot of nice GTV6's in the Golden State.

Best wishes,

Richard :lol:
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

Post by cchan »

Hi Rhodes1,

It's so strange. I wanted 3" pipes but I was told it could not fit over the transaxle. My exhaust is done and has 2.5". It is really tight but since I did not do it myself I just assumed it was impossible. I would really like to see yours' when it's done. I have clients and venders in L.A so maybe we could meet sometime.

I do have my gears lightened and LSD. I have a Milano box that was rebuild by Garcia Racing.
rhodes1
Gold
Gold

Would be great

Post by rhodes1 »

Always nice to meet fellow GTV6 owners. How is the interior coming along, bet it'll be great. Do you have an idea how soon your Alfa will be back on the road. Unfortunately I am still looking at mid-May for mine and then I have to have the stereo head unit re-installed as it looks like it was removed by trained gorillas. Also a quesiton regarding headlamps. Are you using stock lamps or after market. If you have not given it thought, Sylvania Xenarc HID Sealed Beams are a great alternative. I bit on the expensive side but they give terrific visability at night.

Best wishes,

Richard
GregoryV
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GregoryV »

Rhodes1,
As I said before the color is just fab. but under the hood ... I just can't stop looking! The red valve covers and intercooler look hot - contrasting color to blue you know!

1) What are you doing about the hood? You'll need that scoop on there right? - I don't know how fond I am of the Callaway scoop - maybe there's something better?

2) What's up with the brake booster/mastercyl - looks different - what are you doing there?

3) Diferent Opinions on the power steering probably - I really liked our Milano with it, still gave great feedback and with the size wheels you're putting on you'll be able to parellel park with zero effort. The downside is that it is "more" under the hood.

Took four days off a few years back in Dec. to drive the coast down in the Milano we had - hit a week of no rain and it was just awesome! Not the Clash though more of Yes, Pink Floyd and Pat Metheney for that trip. Dang, I remember seeing the Clash and Sex Pistols up here back when ... or at least I kind of remember! :D

GV
20-Years-3-Motors-Later
rhodes1
Gold
Gold

"Run Like Hell" by The Pink Floyd...

Post by rhodes1 »

...possibly the best driving tune ever. Sounds like a dream run in an Alfa.

Thankyou for the comments, I am pleased with how the valve covers and intercooler came out.

I located an aftermarket hood scoop which is rather nice and a bit wider. It also has a billet grill over the inflow.

The brake booster came from a Porsche 993. Gregg Armstrong adaptation.

Ditto on the power steering, but I am psyched to have it.

See you soon.

Richard
John in Denver
Silver
Silver

Post by John in Denver »

:lol: OOOhhhhh yes! That's a VERY L.A. Alfa!
twinspark6
Gold
Gold

Post by twinspark6 »

Very nice. I will be building one soon. Were going to make it a battle of norcal vs socal.
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Congratulations on the purchase of your Gtv6!

I love them and wish you the best from Australia! :D
rhodes1
Gold
Gold

Callaway Hood Images

Post by rhodes1 »

Nearing the end of the journey.

Engine in and running, transax rebuilt and installed, new brakes, rims and tyres installed, just buttoning up all the little bits.

Picked up the custom hood scoop and installed on hood. I am quite keen on it. It is not near as gross as the original and hope it looks nice enough when installed on the completed Callaway. Will be taking it down on Monday to Historic Race Engineering where I can snap proper pics of the progress.

In the meantime a couple of iPhone pics, not so good, but hope to give a general idea of it.

Cheers,

RW
Attachments
Scoop1.jpg
Scoop1.jpg (65.63 KiB) Viewed 8264 times
scoop2.jpg
scoop2.jpg (61.42 KiB) Viewed 8266 times
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

looks sharp! for top mounted intercooler?
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Nice work mate. She looks as though it'll be a nice ride!

Dont go rallying the thing and chip that paint though- give the jag some treatment!
Fixing it bit by bit....
GregoryV
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GregoryV »

There's been those comments about the gtv6 being the Alfa "Muscle Car" that hood may well really put it there (not to mention the engine) - look forward to seeing how it looks all together again.

GV
20-Years-3-Motors-Later
rhodes1
Gold
Gold

Hood Scoop

Post by rhodes1 »

Hi XRad.

Yes, the Callaway intercooler is top mounted.

Cheers,

R.
rhodes1
Gold
Gold

Hood Added and other progress

Post by rhodes1 »

Made a trip down to the O.C. to deliver the hood to Historic Race Engineering and see how things were coming along. Making good progress, even though the car is now six months over the completion date.

As you can see from the snaps much modifications have been done and next week we'll fire up the motor for the first time since the rebuild.

We seated the hood with the new hood scoop and I very much like the look of it.

In the engine, the new a/c compressor from a Mazda 3 has been installed which will provide 30% more cool air over the TropicAir system. Brake booster installed for the Brembos from a 745i BMW. We test firtted one new HRE wheel and tyre and I love the look. Also all new plumbing and wiring installed as well as the power steering unit.

A nice treat was Martin D'Campos Callaway in for service. This is the first time I have seen it in person.

Cheers,

RW
Attachments
gtv61102.jpg
gtv61102.jpg (90.35 KiB) Viewed 8059 times
gtv61101.jpg
gtv61101.jpg (105.21 KiB) Viewed 8060 times
gtv61103.jpg
gtv61103.jpg (97.72 KiB) Viewed 8060 times
gtv61104.jpg
gtv61104.jpg (79.94 KiB) Viewed 8061 times
gtv61105.jpg
gtv61105.jpg (82.85 KiB) Viewed 8062 times
rhodes1
Gold
Gold

More images

Post by rhodes1 »

Engine bay. Still a few bits to tiddy up.
Attachments
gtv61106.jpg
gtv61106.jpg (98.85 KiB) Viewed 8063 times
gtv61108.jpg
gtv61108.jpg (108.84 KiB) Viewed 8064 times
gtv61109.jpg
gtv61109.jpg (143.76 KiB) Viewed 8061 times
gtv61110.jpg
gtv61110.jpg (152.42 KiB) Viewed 8062 times
gtv61110.jpg
gtv61110.jpg (152.42 KiB) Viewed 8061 times