Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

Re: Introduction

Post by cchan »

The last thing that we noticed is that the rear Giro Disk SZ Brake Calipers are rusting already? We are not sure why they would rust so fast. Has anyone experienced this as well? Should they be rust coated from the start or should we do something to correct this? (ie: remove, paint, powder coat, etc). Any suggests are welcomed.

We don't want to start fixing anything right now so we think will just drive the Alfa for now and address all these issues in the winter time. We will also get some professional pictures from my cousin and post them since we know we promised this for some time now.

Thanks again for helping me with all my restoration questions.
Attachments
Rear Driver Brake Side Rusting.JPG
Rear Driver Brake Side Rusting.JPG (33.73 KiB) Viewed 7422 times
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

The front oil leaks could be from a previous oil change, however, if that were the case the oil stains should be dark (dirtier oil). The oil is filled on the driver's side, so any spill should be on the driver's side.

Another possibility is that some of the gasket has is starting to leak. This could be due to assembly or the gasket itself.

I had Phil rebuild my engine in 2004, and it has not leaked much (if at all).
Dr. Alban
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

The rear calipers, you have are stock alfa calipers with a spacer between the halves to house thicker ventilated disc. Unlike the fronts, rear calpiers are cast iron, so uless they are coated, in anything rust preventing they'll eventually rust, which except for aesthetics, won't affect anything.
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

Post by cchan »

Thanks for the posts, The oil is on the wrong side so it is most likely some type of leak. Now that we are aware of this we will figure it out by keeping an eye on it and determine what we need to do to address this.

In regards to the rear brake caliper rusting, we don't want any item rusting on the Alfa. What would be the best way to deal with this. Rust paint, power coat, or ceramic coating?
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

For oil leaks start at the tappet covers where the two half moon rubbers go over the cam shaft, next the oil breather . Sometimes the filler cap does not seal espicially if its relocated above a camshaft lobe. New o ring sorts that out. Other than this and the rear oil seal these engines dont leak. Wipe all arounf the engine ,go for drive if steering fixed then recheck with soft tissue paper. Dont worry about rear caliper. If you are not going to remove it use small brush with rust primer. Mine once rusted to i repainted them which looked good until i bled the brakes at the track(without pipe) and the paint came off. Choose your coatings carefully.
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

You can use everything from cheap brake caliper paint, to galvanizing. I think the latter should have longest lasting results
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

Post by cchan »

Hello Forum,

Well, finally going to show the Alfa. We are going to Monterey Historic Car Races and will be in the Concours on Friday and the Track on Sat and Sunday. Will see how many Alfa's show up. I heard there are going to be lots of Alfa and will be meeting up with my friends as well. We did not get the timing belt cover parts in time so we decided to just tow it this time. GTV6 power :D
Attachments
Alfa Trip Monterey 2009 Show.JPG
Alfa Trip Monterey 2009 Show.JPG (25.46 KiB) Viewed 7197 times
Alfa Trip Monterey 2009 Show #2.JPG
Alfa Trip Monterey 2009 Show #2.JPG (27.41 KiB) Viewed 7201 times
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

Post by cchan »

After the trip to Monterey we parked the Alfa for the winter. We pulled it out this summer and we used it for a couple of events. We finally had a chance to really drive the Alfa and we went with the Alfa Club in SF on Ruthann's River Road Tour. We drove for over 300 miles and it was a blast. This was the first time we really drove the Alfa any distance since we have been towing it everywhere. The Alfa is a sleeper and handles like a go cart and has so much power. It was definately worth all the time and effort and we had the best time ever. It was only until we were stuck in traffic for 1 1/2 hours going through the Caldacot Tunnel in 90 degree weather that we had a slight problem. We were going uphill and the clutch started to over heat and then there was smoke. The clutch started catching higher and higher. At one time after we started to move and Clutch peddle hit the floor. I pumped it and I had pressure again. When we checked the master cyclinder it was low. I think the slave is having an issue or some place along the line is a leak. Luckly we made it home. We saw fluid on the transmission but did not put in on the lift yet. Did anyone ever have this issue?

We started the trip at the Jelly Belly Factory and here are some pictures.
Attachments
Ruthann River Roads Tour 001.jpg
Ruthann River Roads Tour 001.jpg (18.15 KiB) Viewed 6926 times
Ruthann River Roads Tour 003.jpg
Ruthann River Roads Tour 003.jpg (15.58 KiB) Viewed 6926 times
Ruthann River Roads Tour 009.jpg
Ruthann River Roads Tour 009.jpg (21.36 KiB) Viewed 6926 times
Ruthann River Roads Tour 010.jpg
Ruthann River Roads Tour 010.jpg (15.62 KiB) Viewed 6926 times
Ruthann River Roads Tour 011.jpg
Ruthann River Roads Tour 011.jpg (22.39 KiB) Viewed 6926 times
Last edited by cchan on Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

Post by cchan »

Here was another members GTV6 Maratona.
Attachments
Ruthann River Roads Tour 015.jpg
Ruthann River Roads Tour 015.jpg (15.25 KiB) Viewed 6922 times
Last edited by cchan on Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

Post by cchan »

Some Pictures of the Beautiful Road and River.
Attachments
Ruthann River Roads Tour 019.jpg
Ruthann River Roads Tour 019.jpg (27.81 KiB) Viewed 6912 times
Ruthann River Roads Tour 018.jpg
Ruthann River Roads Tour 018.jpg (24.49 KiB) Viewed 6912 times
Ruthann River Roads Tour 021.jpg
Ruthann River Roads Tour 021.jpg (16.32 KiB) Viewed 6912 times
Ruthann River Roads Tour 023.jpg
Ruthann River Roads Tour 023.jpg (16.4 KiB) Viewed 6912 times
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

Post by cchan »

The Alfa GTV6 Project probally has less than 700 miles on it but we are going to Tow it to the warehouse to trouble shoot the clutch and take care of the other break in issues. They are the small oil leak in the front, remove and re-coat the rear calipers so they are not rusting, remove the exhaust system and install the flanges as well as coat the pipes so that they will not rust, and install the timing belt cover. So it appears that this is the end of the fun for this year in the GTV6.

However, being the Alfisti that we are. We purchased another toy for the Monterey weekend. I know it is not a GTV6 but it still is an Alfa. It is a 91 S4 spyder and we are currently doing a minor restoration as a driver. We went with the last years model in hopes that it will be reliable. This will be the Alfa for the rest of the summer.

Here are some pictures of it as of today.
Attachments
Chuck Car #1.jpg
Chuck Car #1.jpg (62.17 KiB) Viewed 6896 times
Chuck Car #2.jpg
Chuck Car #2.jpg (60.22 KiB) Viewed 6896 times
Chuck Car #3.jpg
Chuck Car #3.jpg (62.89 KiB) Viewed 6896 times
Spyder Interior Restoration 007.jpg
Spyder Interior Restoration 007.jpg (19.67 KiB) Viewed 6896 times
Spyder Interior Restoration 006.jpg
Spyder Interior Restoration 006.jpg (15.69 KiB) Viewed 6898 times
GregoryV
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GregoryV »

Darn, my electrical gremlin (now solved) kept me from going on that tour...

Must be either the clutch slave
or leaking internally from the clutch master cylinder (was that replaced on your rebuild?) if that it would leak into the passenger compartment and you'd never see a drip on the ground. GV
20-Years-3-Motors-Later
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

Post by cchan »

GregoryV,
Too Bad I missed you. Was able to get the Alfa to go on the Tow truck on it 's own. It should be an easy fix. The Alfa is right at home on the Trailer. It is so challanging to have an Alfa :D
Attachments
Ruthann River Roads Tour 027.jpg
Ruthann River Roads Tour 027.jpg (21.92 KiB) Viewed 6859 times
Ruthann River Roads Tour 026.jpg
Ruthann River Roads Tour 026.jpg (23.67 KiB) Viewed 6858 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

cchan, One one of my GTV's the clutch is quite high and builds up pressure(need a gap a top of pedal). This under heat ie few laps the clutch beginns to activate and start to smoke. Trick was to loosen slave bleed nipple and relieve pressure then ok for rest of track day. This car was not driven much from when the clutch was assembled and origionaly bled. Then it was used under excessive heat conditions - maybe like yours.
Suggestion , new kit installed check pedal not 95% to top, then use it with hard driving. Then tap of pressure (just an open the close of bleed nipple) with clutch pedal at top.
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

Post by cchan »

Hi Kevin,

What Kit are you referring to when you say that we should change it. We have an extra new clutch in the box with pressure plate etc. I was hoping that we don't have to change the clutch since I don't think it is worn out already. Is this what you are suggesting or is it replacing the clutch slave cylinder? We need to souce a new one as I only have a used one. We have new Clutch master cyclinder, all new lines, new slave cyclinder.

Thanks for the additional information.