Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
killaz
Platinum
Platinum

Post by killaz »

I've started building new plenum out of old; 35 mm to 44 mm inner diameter, here's comparation...

Test fitting, and reverse look at new plenums pipes which will be welded soon... Can't wait to see how it will perform. :)
Image Image Image
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Clatu verata nictu!
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
killaz
Platinum
Platinum

Post by killaz »

:twisted:
Attachments
DSC03074.jpg
DSC03074.jpg (103.8 KiB) Viewed 8760 times
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Mats, are you sure you are not an American?
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Greg Gordon wrote:Mats, are you sure you are not an American?
Quite.

I enjoy culture from all over the world. :wink:
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

So do I, but that doesn't make me Swedish.

That plenum looks cool. I can't comment intelligently on how much it will help, but I like the workmanship.

Greg,
www.hiperformancestore.com
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Greg Gordon wrote:So do I, but that doesn't make me Swedish.

That plenum looks cool. I can't comment intelligently on how much it will help, but I like the workmanship.

Greg,
www.hiperformancestore.com
Ok, I have no idea what you are talking about right now. If you want to tell me something there is a PM function for direct conversations.

Yes, I maybe should have done this via PM, but I didn't. Fire at will.

I think the plenum does look very nice but I miss some detailed comments, the picture names are impossible to read to me so I put down a classic line from a movie that sounded similar in my ear. :P
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Mats, all is well, no need for a PM here. I was simply noting that few people have seen either of the two movies that line is from. They have a minor cult status here, but I suspect very few Europeans have seen either one. My point was that the odds of any European knowing that line would be slim. Hence the "are you sure you are not an American" comment. Now that I think about it, the odds of any American knowing that line would be slim.

The "it doesn't make me Swedish" comment is based on what is probably a misinterpretation of your "I enjoy culture from all over the world" comment. Just forget that one.

Greg,

OK, back to the plenum couplers!
Alfettish
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Alfettish »

Haha. Evil Dead 3?
And some other movie from the 1950s. I've seen it but forget its name.
killaz
Platinum
Platinum

Post by killaz »

I know also about movie (+ video game) and I made conclusion that Mats thinks that this is one hell of a good looking plenum. :lol: "Kliknite ovde da vidite sliku" = Click to see larger image :oops:

About plenum; we cut out holes on old style plenum (AR 75 V6) to 50 mm and made these shiny parts that catch your eyes. Inner diameter of new pipes is 44 mm. Still to come; new inlet runners with same id wich will connect plenum with heads... Actually I borrowed mod from David and went a bit further with diameter. :oops:

Since I'll do basic conversion to 24v, plenum will be only modification comparing to stock 24v engine. I'll measure power and we will see how this design works.
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

The line was originally used to command a robot in "The day the Earth stood still". In "Army of Darkness" which was probably called "Evil Dead 3" in some markets the line was used to....well, you just have to see the movie. I am not going to try and explain that.
John in Albq
Silver
Silver

Post by John in Albq »

But you have to know that phrase, otherwise if you run into Gort (wasn't that the robot's name?) how are you going to prevent him/her/it/^*# from destroying the world????? :shock:
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Greg Gordon wrote:The line was originally used to command a robot in "The day the Earth stood still". In "Army of Darkness" which was probably called "Evil Dead 3" in some markets the line was used to....well, you just have to see the movie. I am not going to try and explain that.
Oh, cool! Now I have another film to see. :D

Army of Darkness is a cult classic here too but I had no idea they reused a line like that, now that I know of it it makes perfect sense though. :)

Sorry for the thread-heist but things like this is important. 8)
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

This stuff is important.

Back to the plenum for a moment. How much power do you plan to get from this engine? I notice the plenum outlets on a 164 24V 3.0 are actually smaller than for the 2.5. This always bothered me. I think there are computer simulations that show that the GTV6/Milano runners are too small for anything above around 190 horsepower (not sure about that number) so what the heck was Alfa thinking?

Greg
killaz
Platinum
Platinum

Post by killaz »

Greg Gordon wrote:Back to the plenum for a moment. How much power do you plan to get from this engine?

I plan not to loose power. :) Everything above 211 HP will be good.
Greg Gordon wrote:I notice the plenum outlets on a 164 24V 3.0 are actually smaller than for the 2.5. This always bothered me.
I think that this may vary with different markets or year of make, insurance groups etc... For example, mine 3.0 24v has plenum outlets 43 mm ID, while runners are thinner and are 41 mm ID (211HP) - I will double check for runners becouse I'm shure for plenum. Same engine, 3.0 24v but with QV mark has same plenum, BUT thicker runners - 43 mm ID and it is much stronger (230 HP). It is proven that with ONLY thicker runner and remap you reach same power like QV has.

Friend of mine has 156 2.5 24v which has the same runners as my engine 41mm ID... :?

If you didn't already, check claims of squadra tuning (note that they measure outside diameter)
Greg Gordon wrote:I think there are computer simulations that show that the GTV6/Milano runners are too small for anything above around 190 horsepower (not sure about that number) so what the heck was Alfa thinking?

Greg
Well, old design, bad calculations, something else..? After all, I didn't wanted to ruin original plenum from 24v, so I decided to try something in between first.