Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
racerx9146
Silver
Silver

Daron from California here with new purchase

Post by racerx9146 »

Just posted on alfabb.com and was advised to show up here as well!

Hello

I am considering fixing up a 85 GTV6. I just got the car for free if you consider $100 US dollars for fuel and $100 to rent a tow dolly free. (as my wife tells me....there are no free cars )

I grew in South Africa and learned to drive in a Alfasud. I also owned a (really bad) Spica Alfetta in college. So I am not a total stranger to Alfas. 20 years later mostly playing with Porsches I am craving a Alfa again. I rode in a really nice GTV6 in the late 80's and was really impressed.

So when i saw the free ad on craigslist I bit. The folks had many, many calls but i was the only one who committed to a pickup in their time frame.

4 years ago they bought the car and parked in their vacation home's dirt back yard. They then blocked it with a container so they could not get it back out. (not intentionaly) So the car sat outdoors for 4 years.

When i got there the car had 4 flat tires with bad cracking. I got 2 to hold air so the dolly would work. The back yard was sloped and bumpy so we had a hell of a time dragging it up with my truck. My 4wd was not operational at the time so it was a wheel spinning/clutch burning good time.

Visual assessment
  • Good straight body with no apparant rust
    Paint is history
    Recaro leather seats pretty bad, some foam damage
    Front end lowered to much, way too much negative camber
    tires are history
    unmodified car
    missing low beam light
    Beige leather Recaros in bad shape
    15" Campy wheels
    Dash cracked
    Front air dam trashed
    Car has tropic air
    nice door panels
    bad install of roof mounted antennae
Anyhow to the car. I got it home and last Friday night i had a look at getting it running... I flushed the fuel out of it and put some oil in the cylinders. I disconnected the coil and turned it over till we had oil pressure. The battery was still good and took a charge.

It started right up and idled nicely.

Initial mechanical assessment
  • Clutch hydraulics shot, no fluid in system, fillup did not fix, do not see any leaks
    Water pump shot, sounds like a cement mixer, coolant runs out freely
    Check engine light on
    Exhaust muffler looks aftermarket, bunch of rust shoots out
    Some oil leaks, does not look too bad
    Power Windows work (slowly)
    Lights/gauges work
    Good Hard brake pedal
    Steering rack shot (major play, clicks)
So to drive it at all it needs a water pump, steering rack, timing belt, clutch slave or master. It also has 4 years of registration due. Needs paint, seats, tires, muffler minimum to be a decent car. I am not looking to do a full restoration but just make a "nice" car.

I know these are not exactly "valuable" cars but special in their own way!
I guess the million dollar question is....Is this worth it?

Another factor is I am in California and we have very strict emissions testing. Do these car pass smog well when running correctly?

Below are a few pix of the prize and one of my current Porsche!

thanks Daron
Attachments
The new car!
The new car!
alfa.jpg (62.04 KiB) Viewed 4056 times
The disgrace of being towed home by a german car!
The disgrace of being towed home by a german car!
alfagtv6towhome.jpg (64.51 KiB) Viewed 4057 times
my other car!
my other car!
914.jpg (98.61 KiB) Viewed 4057 times
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Well some would say the porsche isn't worth it, wouldn't they?

By the way she looks great in that RSR style scheme- so 70s- I love it!

So in the same way that you may never recoup costs, its all about the enjoyment of the end driving experience.

So many options exist now for the GTV6s, and the end decision is up to what you want to use the car for- a street car with a 3.0 in it and aircon is smog passable from what can be seen on the forum, and with good suspension mods, they are very enjoyable. Or go for Greg Gordon's blower setup on the 2.5. Hard to beat, really!

Check out CChan and Rhodes1's recent takes on a US modded GTV6- no disappointment there, at all
Fixing it bit by bit....
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

That car looks pretty good. It's a desirable color and year. If the body is as solid as your initial inspection suggests, it has a lot of potential. Good luck with it.

Greg,
www.hiperformancestore.com
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

youve got a cool collection there...the gtv6 looks great..that VW hauler..damn ive only ever seen 1 of those 2dr extended cab PU's before..and the porsche..wow

something tells me you could actualy buff that paint out and make it "presentable"
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Free cars, still waiting to see that one. 8)

If the body is as good as you say the rest should be a nice experience, good catch. But too much negative camber? Looks allright on the picture?
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Another one saved !!

Well done. Make no mistake, it will be a challenge and you will need deep pockets if you want to fully restore it but as others have said, it all depends on what you want out of it in the end.

This should be your first decision.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse