Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Back again...

Post by la_strega_nera »

So, My Falcon is looking like it's sold soon, and as soon as the rust surgery in my 105 is done, i'm going to be looking at getting into a transaxle alfa again for some track work... so you guys are likely to be seeing me around a bunch more again... although from the looks of things there's alot of guys on here who weren't around the first time :P
But for the time being, I have both a GTV, and a V6...
So currently I've got the cancer patient (how it looked before I hit a rock and it caught fire):

Rusty!
(Heaps of pics of the rust work in my Photobucket account)
Daily transport is a 164 QV - fairly uncommon Down here.
She's got a Squadra chip, and is about to get a set of converted 24valve headers and some exhaust work. Love this thing - first fwd car I've ever enjoyed - and the electronic suspension lets you swap between cruising in a big comfy car, and flogging the guts out of a big sporty sedan... at some point down the road it might get a Q2 and a set of cams and some port work, but it's good for the time being. If my driveway was better it'd cop a bit of lowering.

Oh, and I finished my Katana:
1966 GTV
1982 Suzuki "Bathurst" Katana
1995 Cagiva Mito (race kitted 250 powered)
Mats
Verde
Verde

Re: Back again...

Post by Mats »

Oh no, he's back! 8)

Welcome home! :)
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

'ONYA Ben !! :shock:
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
GTV27
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GTV27 »

Falcon sold? Have you got a GTV lined up? PM me if you want a tip on a tarmac rally car (be good if you bought it as that would stop me buying it and then prevent me getting divorced... :lol: )
Jason
1983 GTV6 2.8 litre
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

Thanks guys.
GTV27 wrote:Falcon sold? Have you got a GTV lined up? PM me if you want a tip on a tarmac rally car (be good if you bought it as that would stop me buying it and then prevent me getting divorced... :lol: )
Should be sold in the next couple of weeks...
Tell me more about this tarmac car? And when did you put a 2.8 in your GTV6?

There's 3 directions I'm contemplating going in for a new car...
1) 2F Prodsports - try and play with all those bloody Mx5s - must be able to get an all steel GTV6 down to 1000kg and screw 250 at the crank out of the 2.5... when I get sick of 2f, turn it into a 2B car with more motor, slicks and fiberglass panels and plastic windows.

2) IPRA - I think i've found a very good loophole car for IPRA - but I think the 2F fields are a bigger field (in QLD) and the control tire in IPRA sucks.

3) Build a tar rally C2 spec GTV6 - 2.5 with a 3l crank in it to keep under the 10% capacity increase, RS racing suspension, controlled minimum weight based off the homologated minimum - basically build it to look like the Rothmans Group A rally GTV6.

And as an outsider chance:
4) There's a GTV 2L class sports sedan (Tube framed Silhouette car for those playing at home) that I missed out on buying - unfinished with one of the Mazda 2l v6s in it - the guy who bought it is taking it out for a test in a couple of weeks and if he doesn't like it he'll let me know - it needed a little bit of re-engineering to make it log bookable and work properly based on the pics, I suspect he hasn't done this...
1966 GTV
GTV27
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GTV27 »

My GTV6 has had a 2.8 in it since...1996 (or thereabouts) done properly by PO (whom I know very well). It uses 3.0 liners and pistons with 2.5 crank, rods, block (is original matching numbers block for the car). This was done before 3.0 engines became cheaply available - its not cost effective now. Have been told it is still good mod for some rally categories where you have to keep same engine for that model (ie can't put in a 3.0) and for cheating :shock: (stoke measures the same so a head has to come off to check).

The tarmac rally 78 GTV is a good car. Won its class in targa and lactos several years in a row in late 90's. Has some nice bits, good torquey 2.0, but mainly is a good well developed package (ie not much bling, but lots of zing). Was offered to me but is not officially on the market (yet), so I will happily pass on contact details of anybody interested to the owner and leave it to him to decide whether to progress or not. I decided not to take it because one race car is surely enough (but am constantly tempted to change my mind...)

1000kg is 250kg less than my road car. I can see 100 to 150 kg, but am not sure where to find the rest without going plastic windows, bonnet, doors etc...

250hp is doable with a 2.8 or 3.0 (mine has 190 and is very tame), and is apparently doable with a 2.5 if you read the shit posted on the alfabb, but I suspect that would be a pretty wild engine as its about what the group A cars had (but have never done one or even seen one done, so what would I know).

Love the rothmans car - that or a turbodelta evolution would be awesome (but the later qualifies for no class that i can think of, ex sports sedan) so a tarmac gtv6 is the default choice.
Jason
1983 GTV6 2.8 litre
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Ahaa! Good to have you back Ben!! I'll call you tomorrow for a chat!

GTV27- my 2.5 wouldn't be too far off 250hp. It's pretty peaky but goes really well with a 75 3.0 box and a 4.3 diff. I think there's more in it too- better computer and six throttles...
Fixing it bit by bit....
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

..you're dreamin' again jules. :D :D
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

GTV27 wrote:250hp is doable with a 2.8 or 3.0 (mine has 190 and is very tame), and is apparently doable with a 2.5 if you read the shit posted on the alfabb, but I suspect that would be a pretty wild engine as its about what the group A cars had (but have never done one or even seen one done, so what would I know).
It's *got* to be possible to make 100hp/l with a 12v v6 under 7500rpm, heck the combustion chamber is better than the Nord and there are ppeople screwing 105hp/l out of them with their shitty ports and screwy combustion chamber....

Anyway, I'm about to start doing some exhaust work on the 164 (finally going to do something with the 12v flanges and 24v headers), and have some interesting parts for the rear half of the exhaust on their way for it... lets just say 2nd hand F-car parts aren't quite as expensive as you'd think...
1966 GTV
GTV27
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GTV27 »

f car ?
Jason
1983 GTV6 2.8 litre
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

Like a P Car but more expensive and Italian.

Actually, your description of how your car sounds with the "test pipe" in is to blame...
1966 GTV
GTV27
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GTV27 »

Ah I see, am with you now. I still have that pipe lurking in some dusty corner of the garage, must bolt that back on and go for a drive!
Jason
1983 GTV6 2.8 litre
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Hey Jason, you going to Phillip Island?
GTV27
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GTV27 »

negative, no PI for me this year

you doing a round or b round of sprints?
Jason
1983 GTV6 2.8 litre
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

la_strega_nera wrote: It's *got* to be possible to make 100hp/l with a 12v v6 under 7500rpm, heck the combustion chamber is better than the Nord and there are ppeople screwing 105hp/l out of them with their shitty ports and screwy combustion chamber....

Isn't the problem really the limitations in the vavletrain? You can't use the cams you want behause of those fragile rockers/pushrod guides?
What really annoys me is that people don't seem to be getting any power out of the 24v engines either... :|
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!