Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Re: Back again...

Post by la_strega_nera »

Got them - they sure are a big ol' calliper - look similar in size to the cast iron Kelsey Hayes calipers I had for the falcon - which can fit under a 15" wheel with a 11.96" rotor... so i'm going to look at stuffing them under the factory 164 wheels with a slightly turned down 916 GTV V6 rotor - that way I can keep it looking stock if I want to...
I think 24valve 164s had a 26mm thick rotor, but it's 281 vs 284mm diameter... will dummy the calipers up when I get them home in in a week or two.
1966 GTV
1982 Suzuki "Bathurst" Katana
1995 Cagiva Mito (race kitted 250 powered)
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

Dummied up the stock 164 rotor in the baloney slicer with the 166 caliper - fail - there needs to be about another 5-10mm of hat height to run the factory wheel... but then again, there is room to go that way at the hub/strut area - either way, it means finding and re-drilling a rotor that does the job - annd it'll be close to the stock diameter, so questionable gains. The 17" stillautos I had floating around had plenty of clearance to the spokes, so I guess with the bigger wheels the 147/156GTA/GTV v6 rotor should be fine - however, the calipers will require the bleeders and the crossover tube swapped to the opposite end of the caliper (bolt in, bolt out job).

Been busy unfucking things with the car - finally discovered that the rough mid-range/mid throttle running was causted by some muppet previous owner screwing with the AFM clock-spring, but luckily they were smart enough to make a marking for the stock position - however where the marking was supposed to line up with I wasn't sure, and have had to spend a bit of time adjusting it to sort it out. also replaced the poly in the front suspension with factory rubber - better ride quality, no change in handling. Replaced the bump stops and boots on the front struts, and the stupid bearing under the lower front spring mount - result, silky smooth steering and no bump steer from the spring ends moving as the suspension compressed. Discovered a broken engine mount (the one mount you can't see) and a split cv boot. argh!
Might finally get the exhaust flapper controller wired in and set up this week too.
1966 GTV
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Time to use the old Jedi Mind Trick:

"You don't want those calipers, Ben. Sell them to Julian"
Fixing it bit by bit....
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

Hah hah Jules, might just wind up that way... lol.
1966 GTV
Bruce
Gold
Gold

Post by Bruce »

Can you hear anything?
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

Bruce, I promise i'll get some sound clips once I finish the 24valve header conversion and wire in the flapper controller (been side tracked on other stuff).

Daniel currently has the 166 calipers and is modelling them in CAD for future brake conversion datapoints - the wide mount spacing might make them handy for stuff like the 116 uprights where the GTV V6 /GTA caliper gets a bit interferey with the mounting lugs on the stub.
1966 GTV
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

I bought a 24 valve motor for this on the weekend...
1966 GTV
GTV27
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GTV27 »

? 12v not powerful enough?
Jason
1983 GTV6 2.8 litre
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

Never enough power :P
Nah, was a purchase of opportunity - a 58,000km old 98 GTV v6 motor/loom/ecu that no-one wanted because of the hassles fitting the crank driven oil pump engine to a 116... tis but a squadra chip away from 240hp.
Still going to be some hassles slotting it into the 164, but nothing insurmountable.
1966 GTV
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

Putting it in the 164 should not be such a problem.. :) At least you can use the GTV sump on it. :wink:

The loom and ecu may have some challenges however, from approx. 1995 there is a coded key needed... But i think Squadra can write this out of the ecu for you. :wink:
Drive it like you stole it...
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

Giuliettaevo2 wrote:Putting it in the 164 should not be such a problem.. :) At least you can use the GTV sump on it. :wink:

The loom and ecu may have some challenges however, from approx. 1995 there is a coded key needed... But i think Squadra can write this out of the ecu for you. :wink:
Didn't know about the coded key - will ask the Guy I've bought the motor off of about the key... and maybe shoot an email to squadra.
Cooling system and the rear engine mount/oil filter arrangement are the main issues I can see at the moment...
1966 GTV
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

Turns out the Key/Ignition barrel are all there, I just didn't spot them when I looked at the motor... anyway, Squadra can't do the key de-coding, but schepers-autotechniek.com can do it, so i've sent Johan there an email about removing the security, or simply mounting the GTV key and barrel somewhere and supplying power from the 164 ignition switch.
1966 GTV
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

So, over the holiday break I finally wired in the exhaust controller - and it sounds awfull. I'll rework the rear muffler arrangement at some point and try again... Also finally finished the 24valve header conversion and fitted that up - revs out better, and the small reduction (5-10kg tops?) in weight over the nose had a noticable effect on the nimbleness of the thing - go figure. Painfull working on that firewall side of the motor though. If I had to do it again I'd pull the motor/box out!
Last edited by la_strega_nera on Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1966 GTV
xrad
Verde
Verde

Post by xrad »

pics of install?
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

I'll grab some pics and get them up tonight - was too under the pump to get any while i was in progress..
1966 GTV