Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
Typhoon90
Gold
Gold

Re: Hi all!

Post by Typhoon90 »

It's going to stay the original white/beige. This saves a lot of work. I don't have to paint inside door shuts etc, plus being white, I can get away with just painting the back of the car and roof without any unsightly blend marks and colour problems.
The other advantage is white looks inconspicuous, so less likely to draw attention to myself out on the road, driving like a hooligan! :twisted:
The wiper motor clean out and re grease will work on any Bosch wiper motor, they all have the same gearbox. Most european cars of this era use the Bosh wiper motors. Another tip I forgot to mention is that the actual electric motor housing on these wiper motors is NOT water proof, so be careful with the degreased and the garden hose in the engine bay!

Regards, Andrew.
Typhoon90
Gold
Gold

Post by Typhoon90 »

And I now need a new windscreen. :evil: Was trying to delicately remove the ancient rubber (now plastic in flexibility) finish trim from between the screen and body, got a tiny bit careless and cracked the screen right in the middle top. A registration inspection fail for sure!
I'm not too upset, at least now I get to clean and paint the front screen channel properly, plus I get a new windscreen, always a nice thing on an older car with some miles on it. The car has cost me bugger all so far (some paint consumables), so I can live with the price of a new windscreen!

Regards, Andrew.
Typhoon90
Gold
Gold

Post by Typhoon90 »

Big day today, got some primer on the car. Removed the front windscreen yesterday, much easier when you don't care about saving the glass!
I'm glad I pulled the front screen, I know for sure there's no rust and it allows me to tidy up the front of the headliner.
I've also degreased the engine/engine bay and found that there was indeed an engine in there! Oh, and so much for Alfas being unreliable, I SOAKED he engine and engine bay with 2 litres of degreaser then spent a good 10 mins hosing the whole lot down. Then it started immediately when soaked! I think the only unreliable thing about most old Alfas is the owners....but I digress.
I've also ordered some cheapie adjustable shocks, if they work O.K, great, but if not, they'll give me time to save for some Konis or similar. Also had to order some radius rod bushes, one of the rubber ones is trying to escape from it's home, that also explains why the car was darting left on any pot holes or bumps on the freeway trip home.
The upholstery has also been removed from the seats, resewn, washed and re fitted. It's still faded but entirely serviceable, the material Alfa used on the 90's is very rugged. The way it is woven, the sun can't get past the knap into the actual woven part of the material, so it keeps it's strength.
The car looks pretty fair on all the repairs, the old wet paint shows up ANY mistakes, and it looked good (thankfully!). It'll never be concours, but it was never intended to be.
I guess I'll be sanding next weekend!

Regards, Andrew.
Last edited by Typhoon90 on Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
GregoryV
Platinum
Platinum

Re: Hi all! (Alfa 90 repair pics inside)

Post by GregoryV »

Lookin' good! Do you always park your pickup on its side :D then I noticed it's just a trailer! GV
20-Years-3-Motors-Later
Typhoon90
Gold
Gold

Post by Typhoon90 »

:D Yeah, it's the best place for a trailer, takes up no room, doesn't fill up with water and rust away etc. I have a block & tackle attached to the patio, just hook up one side of the trailer and haul away.
I have next week off so I am going to hit the 90 hard, hopefully have colour on it during next week and maybe get the screens back in.
Found a local glass guy that will supply a front windscreen for $150, a good price. I'll bond both screens in, that way I know it's done right and no window frame scratching!

Regards, Andrew.
j.k.QV
Silver
Silver

Post by j.k.QV »

Hi Typhoon90!
Interesting pics!
I started a similar project (started to strip my Novanta last week), hope you will continue to post pics of the repairs.

Best of luck,
j.k.
Typhoon90
Gold
Gold

Post by Typhoon90 »

There will be more pics this week, lots being done. Yesterday I fitted new rear shocks, all fluids in the rear of the car drained and replaced. Just trying to pick my day this week to paint colour, the temperature is just hovering close to minimum for spraying 2k paint.
I've also disassembled and repaired the destroyed thread/bolt in the thermostat housing and got the car idling really nicely now, after lots of work. Interestingly, the smoke stopped as soon as the idle was sorted out.
This week I need to get the front shocks sorted out, raise the front ride height, find out why one rear corner is sitting 45mm higher than the rest of the car and hopefully, if I get the paint on the car, bond the windscreens back in.
If I have time, I'll put the interior back into the car too.

Regards, Andrew.
Typhoon90
Gold
Gold

Post by Typhoon90 »

Paint it done! Yes, there are some runs, yes, they'll rub out! I haven't painted anything larger than a motorcycle fuel tank in 10 years, I forgot a few tricks!
Also degreased and pressure blasted the undercarriage yesterday, will be much easier to work on, plus rego inspection will be happier with no oil stains.

Regards, Andrew.
Last edited by Typhoon90 on Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Typhoon90
Gold
Gold

Post by Typhoon90 »

Been busy reassembling the car. Polished the tail lights before reassembly, ensured the gaskets were clean and used lots of sealer on them.
Also buffed the whole car up, paint on the passenger's side is very average, but will pass for a while. I guess I'll be painting that side next.
These little plastic vents sit under the C pillar covers and provide trough flow ventilation to the car. One of them on my car had a failed gasket, allowing water into the boot. It was the side that had been painted before, the vent had been installed poorly, causing more rust than fixing it repaired! No chance of it leaking now, slathered with butyl sealer on assembly.
I'm excited to see the car coming back together!

Regards, Andrew.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

You doing a great job here, this 90 is going to be a real beauty
Typhoon90
Gold
Gold

Post by Typhoon90 »

Whadda ya know, the bootlid still fits!
I'm pretty excited, all that's left cosmetically is the C pillar trim, gutter moulds and figure out a way to keep teh rocker/sill panel moulds on the car. mechanically I think it's sorted, rear rotors may be suspect, but I'll wing it for rego.

Regards, Andrew.
rz
Platinum
Platinum

Post by rz »

wow, nice work !! 8)
Typhoon90
Gold
Gold

Post by Typhoon90 »

Thanks! The car is all back together now and waiting for me to get a chance to take it for registration inspection. It will get re registered and no more work on it till christmas (it will get driven though, just no go fast gear), my motorcycle has just shown some signs of terminal illness (oil in the coolant) and needs to be traded in before it dies on me. I commute on the bike and the savings allow me to work on the Alfa. 8)

Regards, Andrew.
Typhoon90
Gold
Gold

Post by Typhoon90 »

The 90 passed registration inspection yesterday and is now registered
At times I didn't think I'd make the deadline or actually find the wherewithall to finish it, but there you go, it's done. The Ass*#*e that did the rego inspection managed to rip the turn signal/light combination stalk right out of the column, I guess he thought pulling back flashed high beam, and pulling back harder when that didn't work would fix it. :evil:
Now I have to fix those little things I forgor about, like the left front caliper not doing much when braking, or the lack of power the engine seems to have. Other than that, it drives really nicely, the urethane radius rod bushes have really sharpened the front end up. Still needs a performance alignment though.
I have some nice rotors on the way from the US, no one wanted to take my money for what I wanted over here, so again, suck it up Australian aftermarket. Supply what people want or lose sales.

Regards, Andrew.
xrad
Verde
Verde

Post by xrad »

I am really impressed! Nice job!