Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
scott.venables
Gold
Gold

Re: Hi all! (Alfa 90 repair pics inside)

Post by scott.venables »

Nice work! Can you get some compensation for the indicator stalk?
Typhoon90
Gold
Gold

Post by Typhoon90 »

scott.venables wrote:Nice work! Can you get some compensation for the indicator stalk?

It's fixed now, it wasn't too bad. If you know how the Milano switch gear works, the stalks bolt onto a larger plastic part, the bolts had broken off that hold the stalk & switch assembly to the large plastic part. I just splooged windscreen adhesive into the cavity and potted the switch in it. Permanent fix!
These also arrived this afternoon:
The car badly needs new rear rotors and caliper rebuilds, so I just got a whole car set.
I also tweaked the ignition timing and AFM spring tension on the weekend, now the engine pulls much, much better! Still needs the tappets done though.

Regards, Andrew.
Typhoon90
Gold
Gold

Post by Typhoon90 »

So I've once again found the "Alfas are hard to work on" line a myth...one hour to change the timing belt.
I'll give the front of the engine a good clean whilst the belt is off and replace all the drive belts to, cheap insurance, especially for something that's going to spin 6500 rpm a fair bit.
I might also give the rocker covers a coat of wrinkle finish paint when I remove them tomorrow for a valve adjustment, and give the Alfa script a brushed finish. The stock Alfa rocker covers seem to be made of corrodium alloy, they look shite.
Finally have a tracking number for my brake pads from the US as well.....hmmmm, $250+ here for a full car set, or $100 delivered from the US? :gay: Even when the dollar was at 75c I was still buying stuff from the US.
I love these engines, they're built very nicely.

Regards, Andrew.
Typhoon90
Gold
Gold

Post by Typhoon90 »

Well, I got tired of waiting for my brake pads to arrive, so I rebuilt the front calipers, repacked front wheel bearings and fitted the new front rotors and braided lines. All I need now is pads, which I am assured wil arrive soon. If they don't, I'll go buy some cheapies locally and put them in to get the car moving.
One of the front flexible lines had somethign weird going on, probably crud in the line, I couldn't get it to flow fluid either way, which is why the car liked very much to turn right!
Have a look at the old rotors, someone had been punishing them hard and they are under thickness, the friction surface has actually sunk in between the ventilation slots!
And the new gear:
I also lashed out for a can of wrinkle paint when I had the rocker covers off, it looks great and makes me feel happier about the car, so it's two wins for me!:
Of course, now the front is done, it means I have to tackle the rear. I was planning on removing the rear shocks and half shafts plus Watts linkage and letting the De Dion drop down to make brake access easier. This would also allow me to freshen the Watts linkage up and maybe fit new half shaft boots if they look suspect.
I also need to hunt down a stainless braided line for the rear brakes, I ordered a full kit, only got front lines and got refunded the full purchase amount because the seller wouldn't make me up a rear line!
So the lines were free, but I am short a line! :roll:
A question, when I have the rear end apart, is it a good time to throw a stiffer rear anti roll bar in, whilst the brakes etc are out of the way?

Regards, Andrew.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

I would suggest a stiffer set of springs instead say 175lbs. Kings will do them for you for arund $220 for the set. Then you may need to upgrade your front sway too a few mm's.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Typhoon90
Gold
Gold

Post by Typhoon90 »

I do plan on uprated springs as well as a bar. The springs are fairly easy to throw in there any time, the sway bar looks like it may be a little more difficult!
Of course, I will be running stiffer front torsion bars and sway bar as well, just thought it might be a very good time to do the rear bar.
I was planning on 27mm torsion bars and select front sway bar to suit how the upgraded suspension felt. That way I can tweak the front for roll to match the rear, which is much less easily adjustable.

Regards, Andrew
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Andrew

If you get the spring rate combo right, you wont need a rear sway bar at all.

However if you are busting to install it, you will need to drop the transaxle low enough to slip the sway bar into place.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse