Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
xrad
Verde
Verde

Re: XRAD'S ALFETTA

Post by xrad »

another nice rainy day in north east ohio...yeah...

so had some time to work on the fetta:

1) removed old exhaust, what a pain in the d*ck
2) installed rear part of 'new' exhaust (see pic) had to drop the trans a few inches. another pain in the d*ck
3) replaced L and R engine mounts. Major pain in the d*ck. the new mounts were slightly taller than the old ones (no not because the rubber is new, the metal parts are slightly taller). Lots of prying and shifting, but went in OK with a 2x4 and a mallet.
4) repaired left mount heat shield
5) repaired the hood hinges and spring mounts. the sheet metal here was all jangled and bent from some dope shutting the hood and catching the spring on a broken spring guide. ugly.
6) new outside headlights. the hella H4 ones fit, the cheap chinese ebay ones in the red and white box don't fit.
7) test fit the new CSC headers (had to use a hydraulic spreader to spread the inner tubes a little bit, then went on just fine..from Performatek)

got a set of new (really, new) front spoilers OEM. to be installed soon. 1/4 in rivets fit the alfa holes perfectly. bought a harbor freight rivet gun (get the bigger one) AWSOME. works every time.

The center ANSA muffler I bought off someone a few months back weighs a ton and is going in the trash. However, the rear muffler is well made and reasonably weighted. stock cat was on the car but has been hollowed out. there is a center resonator, not sure if I will use or not.

see pics
Attachments
IMG_5427.JPG
IMG_5427.JPG (144.16 KiB) Viewed 8895 times
IMG_5426.JPG
IMG_5426.JPG (185 KiB) Viewed 8895 times
IMG_5424.JPG
IMG_5424.JPG (166.59 KiB) Viewed 8895 times
IMG_5422.JPG
IMG_5422.JPG (145.64 KiB) Viewed 8895 times
IMG_5421.JPG
IMG_5421.JPG (110.86 KiB) Viewed 8895 times
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Hey Mr Chrome, I just can't let this go.

That engine bay is a disgrace. How in the hell can you work on your machine without giving it a clean down first and then proceed with restoration?? That's fully loopy. Bit like getting ready for the ball with your jacket and tie on but forgetting to put your pants on. It's just plain wrong, wrong I tell you, wrong, wrong . :D You could start an ecological farm in all that shmoo. :D :D

Otherwise you're doing a good job from what is visible through the grease.. :D :D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

You see, grease, I see rust protection!! hahah
:D :D :D
xrad
Verde
Verde

Post by xrad »

grease...??? what grease??? I thought all alfas were this color......... :shock:
xrad
Verde
Verde

Post by xrad »

oh yeah..there is an engine in there.....
Attachments
IMG_5431.JPG
IMG_5431.JPG (169.72 KiB) Viewed 8859 times
IMG_5433.JPG
IMG_5433.JPG (167.96 KiB) Viewed 8859 times
xrad
Verde
Verde

Post by xrad »

New problem:

started right up. I parked it. an hour later engine won't start.

1) excellent compression
2) injector timing, cam timing, distributor timing all lined up correctly. Very good spark all plugs. new plugs. charged battery.
3) all SPICA links adjusted to baseline and correctly spaced SPICA arm
4) new spark plug wires, new coil

problem is flooding with fuel(running out of throttle bodies). is there a way to adjust the cold start solenoid to decrease the amount of fuel?

I tried disconnecting it and taking out the plugs to dry out the engine, but no start.....

I get a few pops and sputters

any ideas????
xrad
Verde
Verde

Post by xrad »

ok I have a few things to try...some rewiring of the cold start solenoid and a few other tricks...
xrad
Verde
Verde

Post by xrad »

Ok ..so this post starts with a big OOOOOPS!

What I thought was correct timing was not! That's what I get for checking things late night...

1) Anyway, took the cam cover off again and noticed the intake cam was about one tooth off
2) closer inspection revealed that the injection pump timing was not correct (not set to 'I')
3) the dizzy was 180 out!

OK so to adjust the cams, no big deal TDC and unhook chain and set cams and hook up chain and tension and turn and recheck...all OK

next was the injector pump. pull the pulley, set the timing, put back together..belt breaks..old an rotten. Had a spare so no big deal... (why did I not plan to change it...well, it's a PITA to get the crank nut off)

so..had to peen back the retaining ring after making a shapr edged tool. Had to run to store to buy 1 in extension for the 1 inch impact gun. three stores later (sears has them) I am home. You can just get the socket on and jack the engine up about one inch, and run the extension out the front grill. one blast on the number 2 setting and off came the nut! yeah.

new injector belt placed and injector timed correctly.

Now the third problem. why is timing out 180. rotate the crank you say? NOPE. seems the engine was reassembled with the dizzy gear in wrong position so no matter what, it only lined up correctly with cam lobes pointing inward. so how to fix without major work..

Well, take the dizzy out. remove spring at dog gear, push out pin, and reverse assembly 180 degrees. spring on, back in and all is good!

hook up a few thing, 80 amp alternator and some new wiring, new plug wires and coil, eliminating the resistor and the voltage regulator, and clear all tools.

ONE HALF crank later, engine running like a champ! I turned off and waited a few minutes. tried again. 1/2 crank later running like a champ!!

WOOHOO!!

So basically, the SPICA system was way out of wack, the electrical was 180 out, and the fuel was not timed correctly. No wonder it did not start when I got it! the mechanic or PO put the plug wires on opposite order, so when I changed leads and put them on the correct order, it did not run. cheesey repair..

I am really impressed by how well she started.

new leather interior on the way. radiator all cleaned and painted and ready to go. engine rebuild in a year or so....

now for that 2nd gear synchro...
Attachments
IMG_5435.JPG
IMG_5435.JPG (152.56 KiB) Viewed 8830 times
so simple a 5 yr old can do it...
so simple a 5 yr old can do it...
IMG_5434.JPG (161.81 KiB) Viewed 8830 times
xrad
Verde
Verde

Post by xrad »

If you have not seen the build details over on alfabb, here is a few pics.

Much work done...

few final things to tidy up. more interior work, exhaust...etc..
Attachments
small seats.JPG
small seats.JPG (97.89 KiB) Viewed 8804 times
small front.JPG
small front.JPG (123.9 KiB) Viewed 8804 times
small rear.JPG
small rear.JPG (164.23 KiB) Viewed 8804 times
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

Those wheels look outstanding! Are they 14in? how much for the set?
xrad
Verde
Verde

Post by xrad »

Thanks Bro! You seem to really like the ROTA wheels

550$ US for set delivered from California. I prepaid a few months ago.

check out

18racing

the RB wheel

true 4x98, 15in, offset 35+mm, 58.5 hub( which fits fine) VERY light...maybe 12lbs I will weigh one

You will have high import tax?

I am using 205 55 15's G-force sports 85$ each, super tire...quiet, great grip..firm sidewall, and looks good
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

Nice price, import tax will put the set at more than double of what you paid, do they have these in 16 or 15in and 5x98?
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Sorry Mr Chrome. I love those wheels on a Mini Cooper "S" in British Racing Green but they are way too generic for this Alfa.

Not all feed back has to be good. Sometimes you just got to call it as you see it otherwise what is the point of feedback if you only listen to what you want to hear?
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

Mr Chrome must be ill as his new wheels have no chrome :shock:
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
xrad
Verde
Verde

Post by xrad »

Naysayers, heretics......oooohhhh shiny metal, I sould complain to someone.. :twisted: :D

I was a crow in my past life......

unfortunately, my selection of 4x98's is limited. I really like the stainless german wheels, but they are 400$ each.....

they only come in 15's as far as I know, check the website.