Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Uruguayan Giulie

Post by fedezyl »

Well folks, after 5 years and 2 Giuliettas, it seems like the project is about to come to a good conclusion.

After sourcing some parts in europe (sump, oil pump, rear engine mount) for the V6 into a 116 chasis, i'm finally getting ready to put the engine in.

The car is a 1980 1.6 Giulietta, car has 53000km's originally and just got painted in it's original Alfa red, (ppg code 504 I think).

The engine is out of a 12v 164 wich aparently ran very little miles, still had the factory blue coolant in it and absolutely no corrosion whatsoever. Did a complete rebuild on it and it's ready to go with a Gotech Pro ECU for engine management.

Car has 75 TS gearbox with LSD, 75 brakes and uprights, 27mm torsion bars, koni shocks and 75TS rims.

Well enough bla bla, here are some pics

Car needs to be polished but I think it should be all put back together by the end of the month.

Some engine pics

Barry
Verde
Verde

Re: Uruguayan Giulie

Post by Barry »

Finally hey bud ! Long time in coming.. 8)
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

Barry wrote:Finally hey bud ! Long time in coming.. 8)

Long time isn't enough to say really!

Sadly the project got a little bit delayed since it's high season over here and i'm flying like crazy...little time home, so it'll have to wait for at least two weeks until things slow down a little bit and I have time to put the engine in the car.

Hey Baz, if I remember correctly, you mentioned something about the V6 engine mounts in the Giulietta, can't remember exactly what it was, I think they should bolt on straight on though.

Also i'm trying a new solution for the driveshaft, donut in the front, cv joint in the middle and donut in the back...
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Congrats on project. Love joolies.
Forget the rear donut. Fit a universal joint instead. Also fit a slip joint there while you are at it. This means you can shorten the tailshaft for removal without dropping the tansaxle at al.
Neat.
Balance everything including the clutch/flywheel assembly prior to install.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

MD wrote:Congrats on project. Love joolies.
Forget the rear donut. Fit a universal joint instead. Also fit a slip joint there while you are at it. This means you can shorten the tailshaft for removal without dropping the tansaxle at al.
Neat.
Balance everything including the clutch/flywheel assembly prior to install.
The slip joint is definetely going in, i'm putting it in the middle with the cv joint, as far as the universal joint, it is in my plans, I do have another driveshaft, but in the meantime i'm going to use this solution because it does take less time to build, once the car is running and with more time to refine the design i'll get that other U joint in the driveshaft.

Also a friend of mine is doing the same driveshaft conversion for his 75TS (he is tired of the blown donuts and broken gearbox mounts) and trying out the gearbox mount design with the round bushing that someone posted on the bb. He is using rubber bushings though. If that works it's also going in the Giulie, prepping things up for Greg's supercharger kit! hehe :twisted:
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

If you insist on fitting a donut at the rear, then dont use a CV in the middle. Under torque rotation, the CV will "grow & shrink" up to 20mm combined causing a severe torture distortion of the rear donut and it will simply break. This happens under acceleration and deceleration.That's why you need to fit a universal joint at the rear.

Otherwise, fit a universal joint in the middle and use a donut at the rear if you must. This works ok.

Failing to do as I have suggested may result if money down the toilet.
It's your money..

Depending on where the slip joint is fitted, it might negate the CV movement in which case it should be ok. Ideally it should be fitted to the rear half shaft between the CV and the transaxle. That way some of the growth may simply move along the slip joint without harm perhaps.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

MD wrote:If you insist on fitting a donut at the rear, then dont use a CV in the middle. Under torque rotation, the CV will "grow & shrink" up to 20mm combined causing a severe torture distortion of the rear donut and it will simply break. This happens under acceleration and deceleration.That's why you need to fit a universal joint at the rear.

Otherwise, fit a universal joint in the middle and use a donut at the rear if you must. This works ok.

Failing to do as I have suggested may result if money down the toilet.
It's your money..

Depending on where the slip joint is fitted, it might negate the CV movement in which case it should be ok. Ideally it should be fitted to the rear half shaft between the CV and the transaxle. That way some of the growth may simply move along the slip joint without harm perhaps.
Interesting, I must admit that i'm new to this driveshaft business but in any case I don't want to throw my money down the toilet, therefore i'll go the U-joint route at the rear.
I don't have a picture of the driveshaft cv yet, as soon as I have it i'll post it over here, see what you guys think.
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

A bit of motivation for the v6 powered Giulietta's... :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGnnPynz ... e=youtu.be
Drive it like you stole it...
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

Nice! I didn't have to cut up the propshaft after all, amazingly it ended up having the same distance as with the 1.6, i'm using the 164 flywheel with the 1.6 flywheel attached, all balanced and lightened to match the 2.5 V6 flywheel weight.
Where did you mount the fuel pump? I ended up modifying the 164 plenum, and also be using Gotech Pro for fuel and spark.
I'm getting close to firing her up!

Do you have any more pictures of the build?
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

click here :wink:

I used 3.0 164 engine with 3.0 75 flywheel. propshaft is custom with original front alfa giubio and UJ in the middle and CV joint at the rear. 164 Motronic was an easy fit.

My Giulietta is an early one with the plastic tank. I modified a VW Polo tank-element with integrated pump to fit. That is a plastic disk through which the fuel lines go and there is also a sender for the tank-level on it. The floater-arm needed adjusting and i used a in-tank pump that simply lies on the bottom of the plastic tank now. I guess i need to keep an eye out for hard cornering when the tank is getting empty to keep fuelstarvation under control..
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

Giuliettaevo2 wrote:click here :wink:

I used 3.0 164 engine with 3.0 75 flywheel. propshaft is custom with original front alfa giubio and UJ in the middle and CV joint at the rear. 164 Motronic was an easy fit.

My Giulietta is an early one with the plastic tank. I modified a VW Polo tank-element with integrated pump to fit. That is a plastic disk through which the fuel lines go and there is also a sender for the tank-level on it. The floater-arm needed adjusting and i used a in-tank pump that simply lies on the bottom of the plastic tank now. I guess i need to keep an eye out for hard cornering when the tank is getting empty to keep fuelstarvation under control..
Good, I took the other route, I have a steel tank and put the fuel pump and filter at the 75 stock location. What gearbox are you using? i'm using a TS gearbox with the limited slip diff.
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

My gearbox is from a 75 Tb, also LSD equipped but a little longer final drive. I also have the thicker driveshafts with the spacer between the discs and driveshafts.

5 lug wheels. 164 v6 24v discs and callipers up front with adapters welded to the spindle. This set was race-proven on a 75 TS over here. :) thicker torsion bars from a gtv6 with koni yellow all around, 30mm AR bar, 105 balljoint mod coming soon.

Currently experiencing some annoying problems with the rear brakes. :evil: :evil: I think they've lost their right to be on my car by now and they will now be replaced by outboard brakes. :|
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

Giuliettaevo2 wrote:My gearbox is from a 75 Tb, also LSD equipped but a little longer final drive. I also have the thicker driveshafts with the spacer between the discs and driveshafts.

5 lug wheels. 164 v6 24v discs and callipers up front with adapters welded to the spindle. This set was race-proven on a 75 TS over here. :) thicker torsion bars from a gtv6 with koni yellow all around, 30mm AR bar, 105 balljoint mod coming soon.

Currently experiencing some annoying problems with the rear brakes. :evil: :evil: I think they've lost their right to be on my car by now and they will now be replaced by outboard brakes. :|

Lot's of modding there, I just put a 75 TS running gear in mine, 5 lug wheels also, vented disks, 105 ball joint mod up front. I do have the 27 or 28 mm torsion bars and matching springs from performatek plus koni yellows all around, I used this setup on my previous Giulie (wich has an RS kit now as it's a race car now), very nice and streetable.
I need 16in rims to put big brakes in the Giulie, but i'm going to supercharge it by the end of the year, so funds are going that way at this time.
I tried using google translate on the dutch forum, I read that you are going to use a later Giulietta dashboard, I have one of those with the electronic speedo but haven't fitted it yet, I'll let you know when I do what mods I needed to make.
I have my brother living in Brussels, next time i'll go visit (when I get my job back) i'll send you a PM, i'd love to meet fellow dutch alfistis!
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

Well, it's finally running, sadly, i'm living on the other side of the world (with Uruguay as a reference point) so I couldn't enjoy it as of yet. My friend and mechanic took her to a track day last saturday, with only a dyno break in and a pretty good map for the megasquirt.
He reported the handling was pretty good (i took kevin's alignment data for his race car) but it needs some more adjusting.
The engine is putting out 175hp right now, it's a 164 L engine, stock injectors, stock manifold, stock cams, no porting, std compression, basically a std engine. I have ordered a set of RJ cams and my friend has a G60 laying around that he will put in, I also ordered 36lb/hr injectors for a future supercharging upgrade. I know the G60 charger is small, but it's also for free while I save up for a new supercharger.
And talking about that, the only thing putting me off from buying a sprintex (as per gregs recomendation) is the intake noise, I don't know if there's anything that can be done to quiet it down, because I think it covers the engine noise too much, and we all love to hear that sweet V6 note.

Anyways, here's a youtube video and some pics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1fk5ea_AJ4

By the way, i'm looking for late plastic Giulietta bumpers, front and rear, the ones that have the fog lights in front and have a taller lip, I think it's 84 Giulietta, preferably in europe, the one's it has right now are the steel three peice ones, heavy and ugly, if anyone has one or can point me to one please let me know!
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

It's been a while, here is some track action of my Giulietta, still in NA form waiting for an MS pro upgrade and installing Greg Gordon's supercharger kit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dgLZnpncN4