Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Re: My rebuild!

Post by SydneyJules »

Thanks Kevin- I wondered that... The GTA engine's torque Is much stronger than the 3.0 but it's still a bit of a revvy engine... I had wondered about which diff to use.
I thought the best would be a 3.7 or 3.9...?

Next would be to find one of those ratios.....!!
Fixing it bit by bit....
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

Jules - Dan Kirk has a spare 3l transaxle kicking around from memory...
1966 GTV
1982 Suzuki "Bathurst" Katana
1995 Cagiva Mito (race kitted 250 powered)
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

I've been absent for a while!

A quick update:
Have a TS transaxle in with a quick fix 90 clutch... The extra length of the gearing makes a big difference when your power peak is so far up the rev range- I need a lot of road compared to the 4.3! The changeover didn't cost me any thing- the 4.3 box was snapped up quickly and eagerly!

The car is great- so happy to have it back, but my maturity has exposed the fact that I'm driving a fairly antisocial engine around in a fun weekend car!!!
Every now and then I get on it completely and am reminded that this basically an ex Gp A engine that doesn't like living below 4000 hahahah
And when I do, she is magic.
Have shamed a few WRXs and caught my mate's C55 AMG out by surprise on some twisty bits- the RS suspension is amazing but the lack of shock stroke shows when the road gets a bit bumpy- I'm not changing this setup, though... It's all about enjoyment and they are in now.
The knuckle risers.... Holy crap- these things are amazing....
It is seriously telepathic in the way it changes direction and absolutely NO understeer- the roll centre is back where it should be and she doesn't fall over onto the outside front mid corner anymore.
The doors still don't close properly (new seals), I've got a headlight gremlin that I really need to fix, so she is daylight only right now. I don't have a stereo yet (the 2.5 is very musical when you start getting to 8000!)...

The focus of my life has turned back towards flying- finishing my aerobatics rating and getting checked out in a Pitts (avatar pic), and I'm planning on a renovation to my apartment- all of it gets in the way of my plans for the GTv!

Hoping to buy a 3.2 later in the year and get started.

After discussions with Hugh (my new guy since Fab moved interstate), it seems the majority of work will be cam timing on stock cams, AHM six throttles, some stainless extractors and an aftermarket ecu... I'm not even going to bother with comp and jim I has documented how large the ports are...
The RS watts link hasn't even gone on yet, I'm looking to get some shift linkage rebuild stuff and vented rears from performatek (the rears need work anyway) and I've finally had the 156 17s properly machined out to alfetta centrebore... When some spare cash comes my way, I'll get some semi slicks on and just start driving her on the track...

The 2.5, I believe, will be my first attempt at a rebuild! I'd like to bore her out and keep the Gp A cams, run it on throttles and maybe look at doing a 105 hahahaha the demand for the engine isn't there and it's the chance to create something a little bit stupid... You know, wheelspin in three gears, a bit of chrome for the ladies hahahaha
I was pretty sure I posted some vids of her banging 8000 but I'll check and make sure :)
Hoping you are all well
Fixing it bit by bit....
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

Glad to see you post something mate. Been a while.

Hugh of Alfpa I presume? Why don't you at least have the heads of the 3.2?
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Hey Z- a different Hugh- the Alfpa Hugh is in Melbourne, in Victoria.

Actually, things took an interesting turn the other day- La Strega Nera, Ben, sent me a link I couldn't refuse,

I'm finalising the deal, but it turns out I have bought a Greg Gordon supercharged 3.0 12v hahahaha
It's got a haltech on it with no I/C. I'm considering how and what I will do with it...needless to say, I'll be using more boost than it currently does....
Details as they become available :twisted:
Fixing it bit by bit....
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

What? You've gone soft mate, no more 8000 rpm shifts? Haha just kidding.
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Hahahaha I'll see if can get her making power through to 7000... Under boost, it'll be a different world :)
Whether I build it with rods and pistons now, white it's out, remains to be seen :)
Watch this space :)
Fixing it bit by bit....
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Watching closely 8)
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Well, here's an interesting story!

I had planned to borrow a bit of extra cash to renovate my apartment, so my savings were tied up (couldn't use them) until banking stuff had been taken care of. For a multitude of reasons, it took about 6 weeks longer than anticipated.
I had paid the owner of the SC 3.0 engine about 4k in deposits, when he told me had sold the engine to someone else.
I am still trying to get the funds back, although it genuinely believe he will re pay me....

As a result, I put another deposit down on a 147 GTA 3.2 engine yesterday...

I'm actually happier with this idea. Not that I suspected any issues with Greg's kit, but more, I didn't trust myself NOT to blow up a transaxle!

Soooo....

Insert ideas here :

So far, it will be a case of milling heads for comp, aftermarket ECU, and the AHM/Jenvey ITB manifold.
I want a torquey, street able engine, so cams are being considered and I'll be hitting the Greek master up for some ideas!
Fixing it bit by bit....
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Oh yeah- it looks like I may have purchase myself a longer term project as well-

A step nose Giulia n bare metal...

And I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find the sump off an Alfa Sei?
Fixing it bit by bit....
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Joemart »

Hi .... As u know I have a 3.2 GTA motor in mine... a wonderful beast.... especially with the light weight.... I have NOT measured it, but when I drive it feels pretty damn close in performance to the 4.0Lt V8 M3 .....

Mine has about 205-210kw at flywheel... most of the work was done by our local GURU, Dawie, at that stage with some help from Kevin
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Joemart »

Dyno sheet
Attachments
dyno 24 3.2 gta - 1700mt altitude
dyno 24 3.2 gta - 1700mt altitude
24 dyno.png (181.36 KiB) Viewed 9036 times
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Nice!! Any details on mods, Joe?
Fixing it bit by bit....
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Joemart »

hi....

mostly balance all parts, ECU, Exhaust and a VERY slight head skim....
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Thanks Joe- that's awesome work considering the altitude! Wonder how it would go down in Durban or CT?

Engine is in my possession and we have started cleaning it up.
Hugh is having a jig made so that wiring looms can be laid up for future 24v projects.

My ECU choice has been narrowed down to a Motec M48 or Haltech PS2000.

Must have sequential injection and direct fire.
Will be organising with JK for some of his regrinds soon- if you read this Jim, there'll be a message soon!

The plan is still AHM ITBs, JK cams and skim the heads, ECU, ceramic stainless manifolds, add 75 power steering.

I'm also waiting on parts from performatek ....Man, he takes ages... Fingers crossed.
Will have ballpoint on selector shaft pressed further up and rebuild linkage with his parts.

I'm planning to track the 2.5 regularly until the GTA engine is ready to go in.

Hoping to come up with some bonnet ideas soon, but it looks like I'll imitate the SA 3.0 style NACA vent with some extra fluting to remove heat.
Fixing it bit by bit....