Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

My rebuild!

Post by SydneyJules »

Hi guys!

I've chosen absence from the board for a while- as is the case, life can take you well away from the things you would love to be doing! I've sat back and watched others' build ups and dealt with all the other things happening around me!

But it's time!
I've thought long and hard about my GTV6 and where it fits in- what to do with it? I can't justify owning a race car- garage space (lack thereof) and erratic work commitments mean I wouldn't get the use out of it. But I want the ability to drive it on the track and still cut a reasonable lap time. The bias is towards a road car.

I don't want to spend forever chipping away at a project such that it becomes a never-ending opus- I want to enjoy my car on the street, on trips away, and track days- which means, the car is a compromise. Yes. I know it won't be the best at either, but I don't reLly care about being the fastest guy around- I want to enjoy myself! It won't be a daily driver, as such, but it will be my only driver.
In taking this on, the car has to be livable and I imagine having it for at least the next 4 years. But what else was I going to buy? It's either this or buy a euro hothatch!

I'm keeping the budget down by doing a lot myself, which will allow me to splash out on some good bits yet still pay attention to detail.

The idea is to have a bad boy looking GTV6 that goes pretty hard, stops and steers pretty well, and is comfortable without being lavish.

Body: 
The accident damage will be repaired, the body stripped to bare metal and rust spots cut out before re-painting. I'm getting help with the repair and stripping and I'll be paying for painting, before rebuilding it myself.
It's getting a full, original Zender kit, which I've just purchased.
Colour will be factory 530 red

Interior:
2nd hand jap import recaros with mesh headrests.
Retrimmed original interior in tan (tomer, I need your bank a/c)
Floor and ceiling painted with Lizardskin (http://www.Lizardskin.com)

Suspension
RS coilovers- I had planned on the height and damping adjustable set- opinions please!
17" or 18" bbs copies
166 brembos up front

Engine
The screamer stays. She's getting a Haltech E11v2 I just purchased, to replace the ancient fuel only Haltech f6. That alone should make a massive difference to the engine.
I'm in talks with a friend about making a 6 throttle setup out of an OEM GTR manifold and custom inlet runners.
When the engine gets too tired, I'll make her bigger!

I'll post progress pics as I go!
Fixing it bit by bit....
MD
Verde
Verde

Re: My rebuild!

Post by MD »

Welcome home Mr. Coffee. :D

Before you spend one cent, put your plans on paper with all the detail mods you want to do.

Then consult a Blue Plate Certifier and also your chosen Insurance Company.

You will need to be sure you can register and also insure it otherwise you are going to have an expensive and disappointing lemon in you garage.

Might seem like a dull start but trust me on this one.

Otherwise genuine best wishes for your project mate.
Last edited by MD on Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Thanks Mike- have consulted an engineer and Shannon's Insurance- all is well!

I have a knee reconstruction on Monday (ACL), and once I can walk, my friends and I are building an enclosure to begin taking the paint off and etch priming as we go.

I will cut the beaver panel out at the rear and strip the boot/trunk back to bare as well.

Window frames and windscreen wipers will go for blasting and powder coating soon (gunmetal grey).

Anyone have any idea what to do with the rubber-coated weather strip that sits on the roof gutter? Can you have them re-coated in rubber?
Fixing it bit by bit....
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Hey Jules , look forward to this. Try make a really nice bolt in cage . I did this initially and removed the side bars when in daily use. I saw a chap flip his car a few weeks back in the sand trap, he wishes he had some sort of cage. Or alternatively just make a centre hoop for that extra protection . As you said the whole car is a compromise .
18 inch with rs you gonna rattle your fillings out along with losing body trim that alfa designed with flimsy clips. You can't go to wide with18 or 17 as you willlbe limited to castor. Will start having to bend body in arch.
Sadly the most comfortable ride with rs will come from 16 s . You should have spare set with semis on for track day. The front rs anti roll I leave off for road or keep your standard for road and put the rs one on for track days. Our roads are pretty bad so you end up bouncing along with a high frequency suspension on low frequency roads.
If you get bored I have a car ready for you , just post some money and I will send you a fire breathing concours condition track day car :D
But then again it's most enjoyable to build these cars and watch the progress .
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Phew !!
What a relief.
For a moment I thought you were going in for a middle leg reconstruction. I know you play pretty hard but to get the tripod sort of out of shape, well, you know, it's not that easy. :shock: :D :D

Agree with Kevin about the rims. Above 16 inch the tyres become critical choice and 225x45 is about maxed out on 16's. Above this, you get turning circle problems as well as castor issues.

You can only install a half cage if it is to be used on the street and no intrusion bars up front.

Removing the gutter trim is a real problem and you stand a good chance of bending them so they cannot be refitted (if I understood your description of what you are working on). In any case, whatever sealing is required on your car, never use silicon on the bodywork. Only polyurethane. Paint will not stick to silicon.

Best wishes for the op.
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Thanks for the input Kevin!

Well, to buy your car would make sense.... But then I'd still have mine sitting here!

The idea with the RS stuff was to get the adjustable height and damping setup, as opposed to the preset damping/adjustable height setup. I'd hoped this would allow me to set the damping a bit softer for the street. I like the idea of the softer swaybar for the street.

I'm changing to 5 bolt hubs (my car was a 2.0) so my current 16s will have to go. They've already been redrilled, so I dot fancy putting more holes in them... I would consider buying another set to have semi slicks on them- 225/45. That will happen down the track. but I want 17s or 18s for the street- purely aesthetics. 17x8s should fit no problem. 18x8 possible too.

The halfcage idea had crossed my mind too. Can be made legal in NSW as Per Mike's comment. I will need to decide on this soon.

But this is all pie in the sky right now. First, continued stripping and prep- we'll get the body ready ASAP and the interior underway too.
Fixing it bit by bit....
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Just acquired a set of OZ Superterismos- I think they're 17x7.... anyway... they came with rubber and the price was too good to say no.

They will be used to get the car on the road, and then will revert to my track day wheels. Nice and light!

My 16x7.5" DTM mesh wheels (BBS copies) are for sale- make an offer if you're keen! Will post photos and a classified ad.

I'm having troubles uploading photos- iPhone pics are too high a resolution I think- they are too big to upload... and I'm using a mac nowadays- so still haven't figured out how to dumb the pics down....
Fixing it bit by bit....
GTV27
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GTV27 »

nice wheels - if they are to suit a 147, you may have to bore out the spigot a frag to locate properly
Jason
1983 GTV6 2.8 litre
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

The seller already has :)

Any ideas on how to make the pics smaller in size?
Fixing it bit by bit....
GTV27
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GTV27 »

not on a mac, no
Jason
1983 GTV6 2.8 litre
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Jules,

You might find something here to help.
http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/photo+resizer+for+mac/
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

Jules,

Aren't you already flying A380s?

Btw good to see you back on here again. Get well soon.

Zamani
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Thanks Mike!

Z-Evo! I'm on Boeing 777-300s as a 2nd officer, looking like I will
get a 737 F/O upgrade early next year.

Knee Reconstruction complete- I'm at home already! It's not so
invasive these days. We'll see how I feel when the drugs wear off!
Looking to purchase a pair of seats soon, so I can get the interior
re-trim underway.

Will probably start panel work later this week
Attachments
Beaver and rear
Beaver and rear
IMG_1191.JPG (198.51 KiB) Viewed 11994 times
Rear damaged beaver
Rear damaged beaver
IMG_1190.JPG (176.8 KiB) Viewed 11994 times
Pax Side Footwell
Pax Side Footwell
IMG_1156.JPG (184.27 KiB) Viewed 11994 times
Pax Side Footwell
Pax Side Footwell
IMG_1155.JPG (171.48 KiB) Viewed 11994 times
front grilled= quarter panel crease lost
front grilled= quarter panel crease lost
IMG_1153.JPG (195.19 KiB) Viewed 11994 times
Fixing it bit by bit....
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Mouldings off. Doors to come off this week. Dry Icing the interior and boot/trunk this week.

Windshield to come out this week. Buying Lizardskin this week.

Then I have a road trip to melbourne to pick up the Zender kit, then the paint stripping begins.

In talks with 2 panel beaters re welding in the new beaver after we repair the damage.

I'm excited!

Any tips on fixing the damager, appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_1205.jpg
IMG_1205.jpg (203.81 KiB) Viewed 11959 times
IMG_1203.JPG
IMG_1203.JPG (195.75 KiB) Viewed 11959 times
Fixing it bit by bit....
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

Nice pair of sleeves you have there.. :)

That dent in the roof would scare me but i'm sure a good panelbeater can correct that. :?

If you have access to a good rear quarter panel i would definetely use that rather than trying to get this back into shape.

Good to see you're going for it. :P

Succes with it! :D
Drive it like you stole it...