Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Re: My rebuild!

Post by SydneyJules »

Thanks Kevin- she's getting there! I have to say, viewing your amazing cars has spurred me on and raised the standard of what I expect!
How's sunny England treating you!?
Hugh, who did the exhaust has also helped me with mechanical work- my new go to guy since Fab Baudille (3.0TT alfetta sedan- did all previous work on my car) closed his shop and moved to Brisbane. Hugh's an out and out transaxle nut- and one of those guys who can seemingly fabricate anything- an awesome guy to have around! VERY intelligent and knowledgable.

In other news, even though I was fairly adamant I didn't want to go to a 24v, I may be putting a deposit on a GTA engine next week....

Oops!!
Fixing it bit by bit....
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

Ahahah Mr. Jules has caved in. Join the the GTA club Jules.
Bareass
Silver
Silver

Post by Bareass »

nice build! the car looks great!!!

Quick question about the PACE knuckle risers. how do they compare with flipping the LCA? Does this give the same effect? It looks a lot easier to install, and seams to be reversible if needed.

thanks, and keep up the steller build!
'84 GTV6 w/3.0
3.0L 24V engine stand!
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

I can't compare the two, Bareass- I've not driven a car with either mod, in anger!

The upside down balljoint mod is referred to by many as a race only mod.

The Knuckle riser achieves the same thing (UCA angle/roll centre mod)- with an extra part.

It's supposed to return the agility to these cars that you inevitably lose with lowering the front and stiffening things up- helps remove the under steer by raising the roll centre back to where it was at factory (draw lines intersecting from each side LCA/UCA- lowered car loses with the way UCA angle increases).

I had the front end apart. It made sense to do it.
Hoping to drive the car regularly as of next week or so... And when I do some track days ill let you know- reading your posts sounds like you're after a more hardcore version of what I've got!
Fixing it bit by bit....
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Jules , you should ask Joemart how much fun he is having with his gta motor . His installation is very neat and they kept all the water plumbing at the back of engine without disturbing the front cambelt cover set up .
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Drove her home today!

Wow! The RS kit is awesome. Coupled with the knuckle risers, it's made the car so agile- it changes direction so well!
I'll slowly chip away at it, driving it harder as i get more comfortable with it, but 5 years and one week since my last real drive of a transaxle, it felt like going home!! Out of no where, I've got my heel and toe back!
Few things to sort out and trimming still to be completed...

Kevin, thanks mate- ill do that! It will be a progressive thing- the idea is to build it slowly, machine small end bush on rods for more comp, cam timing, throttles and ECU....

Videos soon...
Fixing it bit by bit....
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

First off, the fuel smell is ridiculous! I've got monday and tuesday planned to take apart the fuel system again and replace all hoses and check the vapour canister, hoping to have a result.

But driving her just gets better and better. The front end no longer seems to load up and compress to the point where it seems to "fall over" on the outside front... the steering stays light, I can get on the power and just drive through corners... but here's the catch- it steers so much better (and I'm so out of practice!) that I don't trust myself to be able to catch the tail and drift it right now... I will edge my way into this on the track.

My little 2.5 screamer is getting better with every drive. She is obviously happy to be back on the road. Got some custom plates. They weren't my first choice, but they suit the car... they're just a regular no. plate with letters first, numbers second. They contain a "6" and the letters "GTV", so I'm happy ;)

Interior pics- it almost looks factory, with a subtly modified taste to it, IMO. I love it.
My girlfriend and another friend (female), both interior designers by trade, had questioned my scheme.... and both have given it the nod.... not that is was ever "my" scheme!

Tomer's material adding such an awesome finishing touch... I'm happy to have it looking so factory!
Attachments
IMG_3789.jpg
IMG_3789.jpg (209.99 KiB) Viewed 8183 times
IMG_3790.JPG
IMG_3790.JPG (185.12 KiB) Viewed 8183 times
IMG_3793.JPG
IMG_3793.JPG (206.83 KiB) Viewed 8183 times
IMG_3798.JPG
IMG_3798.JPG (225.5 KiB) Viewed 8183 times
IMG_3788.JPG
IMG_3788.JPG (209.66 KiB) Viewed 8183 times
Fixing it bit by bit....
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Looks immaculate!

Well done! :D
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Well done on completing this project . Really tastefully done . It should get featured in your Alfa club mags as its pure Alfa Romeo with no other aftermarket accessories from other makes on . Now you need to keep it in a safe place .
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Thanks Mats and Kevin- it has been discussed that there may be a feature... And while it was never my intention to build a car for "viewing purposes" I'd be happy to do it if it became available!

Alfa club concourse this Sunday, and I will start the process of getting prepped for the E11V2 install and tune soon.

First off, a few track days are in order ;)
Fixing it bit by bit....
GregoryV
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GregoryV »

Wow! Congrats !!!!!
Talk about the long haul, but the car looks awesome! Jealous of them wheels - and the interior looks great...

Well done! 8)
20-Years-3-Motors-Later
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

So, Jules drove this up to Brizzy - it's quicker than I remember, and i'm seriously impressed with the ride from the RS gear - beautiful ride quality - makes me wish RS did a set for 105s (can't come at the $1000 a corner damper option from AH!)
Suspect it's burred the dogs on 1st gear - Jules had to limp it back to sydney starting in 2nd...
1966 GTV
1982 Suzuki "Bathurst" Katana
1995 Cagiva Mito (race kitted 250 powered)
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Yeppppp.... And I've had a few other things take precedence in the meantime!

My plan of attack is to pull the box and replace with a stock TS box while I rebuild the 4.3 box.
Ill do a performatek monkey shifter ISo rebuild at the same time.

I will possibly offer the 4.3 box up for sale once it's been refreshed...

It's looking more and more like I'm going to go GTA... possibly about to put a deposit on an engine... Just awaiting details...

In the meantime, some videos will go up on YouTube tonight and ill post links here :)
Fixing it bit by bit....
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Fixing it bit by bit....
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Nice vid . You can see the bounce from the RS on those rutted roads but then it was not intend for Paris/Dakar driving .
If you're gonna do the gta motor then look for a 75 3.0 box . The bigger crown and pinion with the taller ratios will really suit that motor and lead to good gearbox reliability . Having said that joemart just raced a season with a 10/43 with gta motor but he is a really smooth driver and never stressed box out through kerb jumping , hectic pull offs and rough down changes .( and came in third in the championships) . As you use car for road as well will be better off with the 75 box .
I have been a passenger on the ring for many laps and spent time at goodwood in Alex 3.5 12v GTV with those ratios and its absolutely perfect . Yeah he might have more torque but that gta motor will have slightly more kw in standard trim .