Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Re: Hello from relocation to UK with my two South African GTV6's

Post by KevinR »

My green wire should arrive tomorrow at a cost of £50 from Porsche dealer . Got some more work done on the front today with Koni shocks fitted , hubs , new brake lines ( original looking with internal braid) . I set the Konis mid way to see how it goes . This car has standard suspension so not gonna over crank the dampening as it won't match the spring rates.
Hoping the rest of my parts come back from the platers this week so I can get the antiroll bar back on later this week then fit the wheel liners which is really hard work ( done about four sets already ! ) . Will post pics of that later as you really have to push them up high and make sure all gaps are closed . Few tricks in doing that !
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (70.47 KiB) Viewed 7400 times
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Hi Kevin,
Does the green wire come with the little yellow distributor plug? If yes, please share the Porsche part number as I need a couple of those! :)
Thanks,
Jim K.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

I remember for the later GTV6s and the Milano V6s, the dissy hall sensor connector was a 3-pin. I think Kev's SA 3.0 has the same 2-pin connector in the 1981 or maybe 1982 GTV6 2.5s, not the same as the Milano's or the later GTV6s.

The later GTV6s, Milanos or 75 Americas have this type of connectors

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showt ... p?t=111506

May as well solder the output pin of the distributor sensor to fit a standard 3-pin BOSCH connector which are available today.
Dr. Alban
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Things are simple: All Bosch inductive distributors have the green wire+yellow 2-pin connector, starting from Alfasud, Alfetta, Giulietta, carb Alfa75, early gtv6and many Alfa33 cars. On the other hand, all Hall-effect distributors have the upright 3-pin connector (late gtv6, all Jetronic Milanos, Alfa75 1.8Turbo and some Alfa33 cars). Come on Kevin, let's have that Porsche p/n!

Jim K.
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

Mine is two pin same as all Gtv 6s here in UK .
You have to remove black insert “adaptor” out the dizzy by undoing the small screw . The Porsche part goes straight into the dizzy . I did make small mod but it was totally unnecessary !
Now you just need to cut your green wire about 10cm away and fit and injector type clip .
I will post some pics shortly
Part no 930 602 907 01
Last edited by KevinR on Mon May 21, 2018 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Post by Maurizio »

KevinR wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 3:25 pm Got some more work done on the front today with Koni shocks fitted. I set the Konis mid way to see how it goes . This car has standard suspension so not gonna over crank the dampening as it won't match the spring rates.
Never liked the Koni's, I had them for a short moment on my first 75 ts.
Why: their damping is only adjustable on the rebound.
My first choice even with stock suspension would be bilstein B6

KevinR wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 11:46 pm I am finally going to the Spettacolo in August . A friend of who has a mint condition 75 (with full EVO kit ) convinced me we should drive both our classics up there to Zandvoort this year .
Even though I have no drive able alfa at the moment, I will be a day at the Spettacolo weekend in Zandvoort, so let's see that we shake hands.
Banned.. ? ;-) Daily donky.. ==> BMW 325d Image
E36M3 (3.0) Ringtool :twisted: ==> definitely BANNED!

AR 75 TS Ringtool '90, AR Spider 2000 veloce '79
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

UKP 50 is a steal, tough to find it in the US sells it for below $100

Part #: 928-602-907-00-M100

https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/SC ... 7433965052
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

Looking forward to Zandvoort . Hope to meet up with lots of the guys including Remco :) . Very interested to see that mad Giulia !

Maurizio I have Bilstein B6 and Bilstein 4 as well so will try them all out on my standard car . Anyone tried the B4s ?
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

Hi Jim , only difference is the Porsche green wire sticks out about 4mm further so all you need is a longer screw :) pics below show original compared to new part . The part number is in my post two above . Not sure if it’s the same as what Zamani posted but they do look similar .
Attachments
92155689-36B7-4E6A-AEC9-9959FFB07763.jpeg
92155689-36B7-4E6A-AEC9-9959FFB07763.jpeg (86.88 KiB) Viewed 7364 times
F58FDE48-2FE9-4BEF-8339-21F7BCEF24F1.jpeg
F58FDE48-2FE9-4BEF-8339-21F7BCEF24F1.jpeg (91.84 KiB) Viewed 7364 times
7525A895-7E7A-4E94-9E83-99C59FE68BA7.jpeg
7525A895-7E7A-4E94-9E83-99C59FE68BA7.jpeg (75.93 KiB) Viewed 7364 times
0EC75AEC-CECE-4F09-B760-BAC396A9515B.jpeg
0EC75AEC-CECE-4F09-B760-BAC396A9515B.jpeg (74.66 KiB) Viewed 7364 times
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

So Jim , question here , do you have use sealant or gasket silicone with the new cam cover gasket when putting new cam cover gaskets on ?? I’m referring to the gaskets that have no “stuck on “ silicone bead already built onto them .
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Several points here...
--Haven't checked the number (6 or 4) but I have found that with a harder suspension set, Yellow Bilsteins are the best I have tried and still have them on the 1.8T. Konis (yellow) are no good in my opinion and for my liking. In the soft setting they allow too much movement and in the harder settings they are too harsh. Couldn't find an acceptable setting. I have also tried Spica GTV racing, Spax, Avo... However, I never had the car with std suspension components to try out different shocks. I therefore looked for something to work well with bigger torsion/sway bars and harder rear springs. The 24v car has all-RSR and while it would be great to drive on German roads, in Greeceland it doesn't fare too well, except for new highways.
--The distributor plug thing will be resolved one way or another, even if I have to remold a plug out of epoxy material.
--Gasket-wise, on the 24v: I use good sealant to fix the gaskets to the valve covers and only put a dab of softer silicone stuff on the outer corners of the front cam caps where they meet the head, as well as very little sealant under the front caps next to the cam seals. These 'half-moon' outside corners are the only places to receive a small dab of new sealant every time cam covers come off. Note that 147/156/166 valve cover gasket surfaces are considerably wider than on 164 engines and with rubber gaskets, not paper.
On the 12v engine, I also always fix the gaskets on the covers only.

Jim K.
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

Thanks Jim , always great info . I will let you guys know how the Konis are for road set up on standard suspension . I will be doing the cam covers shortly . My mate always uses epoxy on the green wire fitting at the dizzy to repair with no issues . Just thought I would try this part out in case the issues is not at the dizzy and I can then join an entire new shielded cable onto the Porsche connector .
So far so good ...
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (72.83 KiB) Viewed 7318 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (105.62 KiB) Viewed 7326 times
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

Got the wheel arch liners in . There are always such a battle to fit but found it much easier this time if you put their wipe of grease on the the rubbers . This helps overcome the friction when trying to push them up high into the arch . They come with four screws per arch arch .
Still need to fit the rubber grommet back into the hole around the brake line .
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (81.63 KiB) Viewed 7316 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (71.17 KiB) Viewed 7316 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (55.14 KiB) Viewed 7316 times
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

Got the alternator back from service . The guys did a good job taking it a step further with good paint job after sand blasting all the components .
Looking forward to getting car back on the road now that I have serviced and replaced half the parts upfront ! Even though this car is in good shape it was still time for it's first major service !!

Out of interest does anyone know what the belt size is for the alternator ? My South african belt size chart is not compatible with anything in UK /EU
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (96.69 KiB) Viewed 7315 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (80.89 KiB) Viewed 7315 times
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

While the bonnet is off ( hood in US) I thought I would clean it up and replace the heat and sound deadening foam . Took a while to find the correct product which was not branded . Learnt a lesson with this foam is that you have to cut it facing up as the edges don't slice smoothly !!
Last edited by KevinR on Mon May 28, 2018 2:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.