Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
casta28
Silver
Silver

my 75 turbodelta, front 330d gearbox

Post by casta28 »

Hi :D

My name is marco, I'm 24 and I'm from italy, lived in a little city near venice :lol:

I'm restoring a alfa 75 turbo europe, originally black

Now I buy evoluzione body kit
In the future buy the rear carbon wing..

The mechanical modifications is: 2.0 motronic with vvt from alfetta 2.0 q.o., has original cams, twin spark piston, megasquirt, rdc 8.1, garrett gt2860rs with .63 ar in discharge, tial 38mm wastegate, greddy blowoff, intercooler of sierra rs500, a/c radiator of punto55, water radiator at the moment miss, differential radiator make with the original oil radiator and oil radiator I buy a 30 row (it's double of original) bosch 044, 440cc injectors.

we make the inlet and outlet manifold (in future :lol: )

for the suspension I've used rsr adjustable kit, 30mm sway bar front, the rsr bar rear, rsr watt, centre uniball, uniball on the caster, powerflex black on the upper arm, modified drive box

the gearbox (when we find it!) we think use a 530d ( or 330d) zf 6 speed box, with the differential of alfa 6 2.5 carbs (manual)..

for the brake, in front I used 2 clio rs caliper 40mm piston, in rear 2 406 v6 caliper (38mm piston), 4 305x28 drilled discs

From 2010 to march 2014 I drive a 75 turboamerica, but I substitute it with a new giulietta 2.0 jtdm

Sorry for my english :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Last edited by casta28 on Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Re: Ciao a tutti!

Post by kevin »

Looks like good project but don't under estimate the work . If I had to do this project again I would definitely use the BMW diff with the five speed getrag . There are a few like this in SA . The advantage of the BMW diff is you can choose from three final drives and LS plates are cheap and readily available .
The brakes need to be outboard which is not a problem . The Alfa Sei diff weighs more than the standard GTV gearbox alone and of course they are rare ( yet a have two - one spare )
Whether you use Sei diff or BMW diff you still have to make mounts to the body but you need to make a cradle to hold the BMW diff as it does not have the heavy tube like the Sei diff that rests on the Dedion cross member . f . If your Sei diff does not have brakes then it becomes a very big job .
The BMW diff will use two piece prop which I find easier to balance due to angles than the one piece I have in my current car .
Their is a pic of a cosworth diff with a cradle in this link .
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4365&start=180
Have you though of using the the 75 3.0 box as the pinions are much bigger and stronger ?

If you get a Sei diff you need the half shafts as well otherwise you have to make up the spacers like I did which is part of my hub for the inboard brakes .
casta28
Silver
Silver

Post by casta28 »

thanks for the answer :)

We use zf 6m for two reason: first in italy is more easy to find it (although we have not yet found :lol: ), second the sixt has 0.83 ratio

my mechanics do the same work into his gtv6 (3.0 twinturbo), he buy 2 differential, one of auto, one of 2.5 carbs, and he has the second unused in his workshop.. the differential is very big, like a truck, and we think has no problem with the power... for this reason we use it, otherwise we used a bmw diff.. the brake is outside, for the spacers, yes we make it..

Do you think the half shafts of 75t/v6 are resistant for this work?

the 75v6 gearbox is the same to the turbo gearbox and not work well...
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

I have not seen any side shaft failures on my friends race cars but their only up to 450 wheel hp . I'm not sure what Glenwood used on the 600 hp race GTV .
The 0.82 sixth makes big difference as I am really struggling with the 1:1 fifth . As the Alfa Sei diff is 7kg heavier than the standard 116 box you will find the weight distribution when driving not that much different .
Should try to put your battery in rear ( in boot) as well .
In the end its still totally alfa as Alfa never made the gearboxes in the Sei anyway . So you just have hybrid 75 / Alfa Sei :D
casta28
Silver
Silver

Post by casta28 »

the battery is in rear!

seriously the diff of 6 is heavier then 75 box? :shock: :shock: :shock:
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

The 75 box without clutch is lighter . The heavy torque tube weighs 18kg alone on the Sei diff . I know some guys who have removed it and made a two piece prop .
Here's is what I measured before from my build , see link
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4365&start=105
" Been doing some testing with the front mount box car . Must say the gearbox feels excellent and somewhat foreign . I was trying to work out the balance of the car on paper. Here some weights of the changed parts .
119 diff and tube complete in rear - 57 kg ( damn heavy )
Vs
116 gearbox plus clutch in rear - 62 kg
Therefore lighter 5 kg in rear plus I have moved battery from passenger side to rear in my original race set up ( 14kg) so net result is 9kg heavier .

BMW gearbox bolted up front plus clutch - 46 kg ( but its mounting are in line with old gear lever plus shared to engine mounts)
Overall car is heavier by 41kg . "

By the way do you have any pics of your mechanics car with the Sei diff in it ?
There was a chap selling a complete Sei here in Uk a while back if you're interested . I know he was scrapping it . Then its even easier for conversion as you then cut the diff mounting bracket from car and you have brakes and drive shafts .
casta28
Silver
Silver

Post by casta28 »

For the moment I don't buy a complete 6, we are still looking for the bmw gearbox but we don't find it nearly us.. the next month trasport the car to my mechanic...

Sorry but I don't have photo of his gtv6, the first time he lift it up I make them.. :wink:
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Marco,

Congratulations for taking on an advanced project that will reward you with an interesting Alfa.

I also want to congratulate you for presenting this project on this forum as I know English is not your first language but you are communicating very well. Well, let's just say you are making yourself understood which is all we need.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
casta28
Silver
Silver

Post by casta28 »

Ahahah thanks :)

I studied in a little school ten years ago, when we studied english only an hour a week, but in it I was very good..

This forum is very complete about the elaboration of transaxle alfa, expecially the topic of 1.8 turbo, very good people write in it..

In italy nobody do work like this, nobody believe in alfa potential, much people buy this car and only change wheels (many people don't understand anything about this car :roll: :roll: )

I always thank internet for the possibility to know new parts and new ideas for my car..
casta28
Silver
Silver

Post by casta28 »

I buy the gearbox, from 330d e46 6 speed

and install the a/c radiator Image
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

See if you can cut the tunnel section out of the BMW and stitch it in to the 75 . It works pretty well . I can email you some pics . Or post them here .
Its important keep the strength here .
casta28
Silver
Silver

Post by casta28 »

I buy this gearbox in internet, I don't think to search the bmw tunnel :(.. my mechanic says me he does it artigianal.. if you want, can post it in this thread :D
Last edited by casta28 on Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

You need quite of room to fit BMW box . I found the neatest option was to put entire tunnel from the bm straight into the Alfa . It actually fits really nicely and you get the rigidity back into the floor pan .
There are some more detailed pics in my build but from these two pics you see how much you need in the before and after pics .
For more specific measurements go this page viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4365
And more on this thread
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4217&start=15
Are you sure you want to go to all this effort . I would try the 75 3.0 box first as it has a much larger pinion , use a custom prop with a torsion resilient tube and three unvirsals joints and a cage on the clutch housing . If you destroy that then go gearbox upfront but that is good for 350hp no problem but stay way from doing burnouts .
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (102.91 KiB) Viewed 10394 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (210.04 KiB) Viewed 10397 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (251.23 KiB) Viewed 10397 times
casta28
Silver
Silver

Post by casta28 »

thanks for the photo.. the first time I go to my mechanic I show it..

I don't wanna use the original gearbox, it's very slow, must buy a special clutch, then if I wanna to use bmw gearbox i must to cut the chassis, and if it's varnished it's a problem...

Why do you use a very small gear lever? I want do a high lever
casta28
Silver
Silver

Post by casta28 »

clutch we use an original bmw, the modified version, not the original with "bimassa" (don't say the english term :cry: )