Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
Fernando
Platinum
Platinum

Fernando's Alfa GTV6 3 Litre 24V Twin Turbo

Post by Fernando »

Hi Guys,

This is the first photo I can put up with more to follow of my twin turbo. The motor was built by Oom Div at Glenwood Motors.

My brother , Jose` , has been mostly responsible for turning this car into a reliable runner for me and I will attempt to discuss everything that this has entailed.

Old Barry has also been a great help to me and Kevin Strapp from AK has been a life saver in parts supply for me.
Attachments
Fernando GTV6 Twin Turbo.JPG
Fernando GTV6 Twin Turbo.JPG (204.07 KiB) Viewed 10812 times
"Racing is life,everything before and after is just waiting."- Steve Mqueen
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Re: Fernando's Alfa GTV6 3 Litre 24V Twin Turbo

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

That's a nice ride. You wouldn't guess there are two turbo's lurking in the engine bay.

Is the gearbox upfront in your car?
Drive it like you stole it...
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Fernando , nice to see the car finished . The gearbox was always in the back in this car and assume its still there . I do remember it did not have airfilters on last time I peaked under the bonnet but it very neat . Look forward to a bunch of pics .
Fernando
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Fernando »

Tip number one, Always make sure it has air filters fitted in SA. The first engine Oom Div built did not have the filters fitted as it was just before Christmas and I wanted the car back to show my family. On Christmas day 2013 I drove it to my parents and would you believe it a tiny little stone got into the one turbo and wrecked it.

Oom Div had the turbo replaced for me at no charge for which I was most grateful. My brother bought me a Christmas gift....two air filters which are now on the car. Even when he works on the car we place to covers on the turbo inlets just incase.

This car still has the origional rear mounted gearbox and clutch set up which has been super reliable so far. Obviously I cannot run crazy boost , currently it is only 0.6 BAR.
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Joemart »

Hi... so, what HP on Dyno?
Fernando
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Fernando »

I have not had a chance to put it on a Dyno as yet. I will do this once Dom , at Powermods, has done the final mapping of the Gotech for me.

My brother has rewired the wires to and from the alternator and redone them to protect them from the heat.

They decided to short out at 23H30 on Saturday night while I was driving back from my cousion after watching the Bulls beat the Lions in a Super 15 Rugby match at Loftus Versfeld :D

You don't want to get stuck alone on the Krugersdorp Highway at that time of the night trust me. Needless to say my rear end was puckering up tight, so I decided I was not too far away from a Total Petroport so decided the best bet would be to give it everything to hopefully carry enough momentum to freewheel the rest of the way...

It worked and I made it into the Petrol station sans lights or power but oddly enough the engine fans kept going.

Anyway brother dearest drove out with my 2.5 GTV6 and towed me back home in the early hours of Sunday morning.

I will try and remember to get more pictures uploaded over the weekend.
Fernando
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Fernando »

I forgot to mention the drive to my cousin on Saturday afternoon was bloody good fun though. This car has a happy cruising speed of 180km/h and accelerates from there to plus 200 speeds so easily. :D

We are going to play around with the turbo boost settings this weekend. Going to set it at 0.7 BAR for now. Getting both turbo's set up correctly has been an interesting story all of it's own as well.

I had both turbo's rebuilt in December last year as they decided to start smoking like crazy. I am running the engine on 25W60 Shell Helix as recommended by Oom Div himself. Oil and filter gets changed by me every 4000kms only because I am completely anal about oil quality in my engines.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Needless to say my rear end was puckering up tight
Hahaa. Great line. :D :D

Not that unusual though. Kevin has been in the UK for a while now but he still can't shake the same habit. He's getting treatment for repeated nervous looks over his shoulder.. :D

Nice car Buddy.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Joemart »

understand it completely......

keep us informed.... I am considering to get mine more "roadable".... but it's a process
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Hey MD , I have not lost my shoulder twitch but I am going to refresh it next week in SA . Fernando how about some pics of that engine bay . I will be in Randburg and at AK classic quite a lot so maybe stop in for a cold beer . I heard its still 27degrees and heading into winter .
Fernando
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Fernando »

It has been sometime since I last posted an update. I have just had a real run of horrible health issues all of them Haemophilia related.

Well my origional diff decided to mimic it's owner and loose some teeth a month or so ago while I was driving back from a visit to my Doctor. Weird.

Anyway ,Kevin , from AK Components , came to my rescue once again as these gearboxes are scarcer than hens teeth now. Kevin sent me to a chap in Sebenza by the name of Andy who knows his stuff about Alfa and Porsche gearboxes. Andy says "Hi" Kev ( Rascher ) by the way. :D

Turns out the replacement box is a 3.8 ratio versus the 4.1 I have alwasy had in it. My life saver of a brother fitted it all on Sunday including redoing the CV Joints , replacing the De Dion bush. Kevin and my brother also replaced the bearings in the clutch which sounded like my ankles on a bad day...crunching and grinding. :shock:

Well the longer legs make some difference in day to day driving. Due to the turbo lag you cannot just keep it in third like I would have with the 4.1 ratio box , now it requires a downchange to prevent undue lugging at slow speed.

By way of an observation between my previous 3.6 litre n/a 24 valve motor and the 3 litre twin turbo 24 valve , is the amazing low down torque of the 3.6 in everyday driving.

Before you ask how I broke the diff , I can tell you it was apparently just fatigue according to Andy. I am carefull about launching the car off the line or just smashing the throttle to the floor in second or third gears for fear of destroying the gearbox.

The car handles traffic and serious heat without any cooling issues now that we run the two GTA fans with two sets of four relays to minamise the drain on the battery. I run a 90 AMP alternator and the largest battery I could stick in the back for good measure.

Everything electrical works in my GTV6 the way it should. So far I am enjoying it once again although I have found that you adapt your cornering technique versus a N/A engine but , to me, that is just part of the driving challenge which adds a different pleasure. :twisted:
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Good to hear car is back on the the road again . Andy does a great job especially on the LS set ups . Show us some more pics of that monster . I will be in at AK this week so if you get chance bring the car around .
Fernando
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Fernando »

Quick holiday update. I used the Twin turbo to travel through for Gauteng to visit my aunts in Kimberley, yes the same one with the big diamond hole and hot as hell.

The care returned an average fuel consumption of 10,26 litres per 100kms travelled. With four up and warnings of over zealous traffic cops, all conspired to keep the speeds down to anything between 120kp/h and brief flirtations of 180km/hour when overtaking trucks on single carriage ways.

Oil consumption was zero so was any top of radiator fluid, quite amazing really. Total distance travelled amounted to just on 1000kms. How I got all that luggage in there I still couldn't tell you.. :shock:

I suck at photographs but will do my best to down load the few I took on my cell phone. :oops:
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

You could have wrapped some boereworse ( SA sausage) in tinfoil around the turbo on that trip :)
Fernando
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Fernando »

I have decided this thread could be lesson's learnt running a twin turbo GTV6 on a daily basis... A while back I started picking up a misfire especially when trying to pull away on an incline. Did the usual replacing plugs checking connections which seemed to improve things but yet the car still did not feel quite right. You guys can all relate to the gut feeling when your baby is just not herself but others look at you as if you are crazy.

Decided to replace the inline fuel filter.....good grief just a brown chocolate type liquid pouring out in the feed towards the motor. :shock: Anyway it improved the situation but it still misfired despite cleaning everything of the chocolate fuel variety. This Friday past I was ready to blow the bloody car to kingdom come. Try sitting in a traffic jam that winds up taking more than two and a half hours to drive a whole 25kms back home from work.....and the car is now misfiring something horrible in said traffic...

Well one of the downsides of being an Alfa loving Haemophiliac is winding up with a whopper of a right 'bleed' into the thigh joint as a result of sitting in racing seats for so long. Sunday my brother popped around to see what he could do. Turns out the one bloody coil pack had a damaged connection inside which would only play up once the car was hot. My brother fixed this up and my baby is back. :D Zero misfire and pulls like a twin turbo is supposed to. He has insulated all the coil packs as well to play it safe. This little episode had us befuddled because it first presented itself as a dirty fuel filter problem , which was a contributor , to possible earthing of the wire harness, which it wasn't. Only when the car was hot could we listen carefully for the infamous ticking sound a coil pack makes when it is not firing correctly. This sound did not always present itself before by the way.

Oh did I mention that in January during one our epic thunderstorms with roads looking more like rivers I went through a pot hole which caused the starter motor to crack in half , hairline cracks to appear on the one manifold and the whole exhaust system to move and clunck horribly underneath at any revs over 3500rpm ? :cry: Got all that sorted out now as well. Moral of story is when it rains heavily and I have no other options, I crawl through these puddles like a little old lady...pisses off the X5 drivers no end though. :lol: The size of some of these potholes beggars belief and can occur on a stretch of road you travel to work on in the morning with the road still fine, but a thunderstorm in the afternoon and the picture changes very quickly.