Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
Steve R
Platinum
Platinum

Re: Steve's 3.0 24v supercharged GTV

Post by Steve R »

Hi 75evo, just ping me if you're around, always good to meet with like minded folks!
83' GTV6, 3.0 24v supercharged
Steve R
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Steve R »

Finally binned the old yellow koni's that have been on the GTV for many years... I really didn't realise how hopeless they were until the new units were in, the difference is night and day. The car now stays off it's bump stops over big bumps and feels much firmer and most importantly very well controlled when driven in spirited fashion. Yet most suprising to me at least is how much the ride quality has improved on poor UK B road surfaces, before every bump was transmitted harshly, but now it's much more comfy. The koni's must have been very worn out indeed.

I had looked at the RS kit amongst other options, but after speaking to a chap at AVO suspension I ordered a set of theirs. They have off the shelf units for transaxle Alfa's but I went a slightly different route using their off the self rears and generic front coilovers modified with a stem top and loop bottom. 1.9 inch ID coil springs clear the inside of the stock top arms, everything clears throughout full suspension articulation. I made a pair of offset lower brackets but forgot to photograph them before fitting, they look like a capital letter "F" but laid flat, with the pointy end facing the front of the car.

On the yellow koni's rebound is adjustable and bump is preset with slow bump being overly, pointlessly, soft and fast bump being rock hard. These AVO's allow manual adjustment of both rebound and slow bump, with fast bump being preset but far softer than the koni's. They also make triple adjustable with fast bump adjustable too, for about £400 each, but I settled for the double adjustable units. Stock torsion bars are still in place, the coilovers add help with 250lbin springs. Feels like good value at roughly £660 for all 4 corners, plus the brackets, plus diy fitting over a couple of evenings.
AVO shocks.jpg
AVO shocks.jpg (146.06 KiB) Viewed 4655 times
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

Looks great! Glad to hear the ride quality and handling is good.

I bought my first AVO coilovers back in 2000 from Demon Tweeks. I think the posting is still in the old forum. Better than the teeth shattering Bilsteins (which someone gave me for free).

For my next set I will use Annex suspension. The company is owned by Grant Hendricks who used to drive a 75 3.0 with RS-Rs. He will be able to able to dyno the shocks and custom valve a set for me. Currently using Beninca custom shocks but Joe Beninca doesn't do this anymore.

BY THE WAY in 2018 I picked up Kev and we drove down to Bosham to Alex Jupe's to hangout. Couldn't fly to the UK this year, but maybe next year. Are you in Dorset? Maybe I can get Mike Harris to come along too :)
Steve R
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Steve R »

hi 75evo,

I am indeed in Dorset, Alex's workshop is always an absolutely fascinating place to visit, not sure if he's holding an open day this year though.

Do ping me if you're around these parts :-)
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

Hi Steve , hopefully we can catch up at southern Alfa day . Out of interest how much travel have you got on front shocks when car is set up to your current ride height before it hits bump stops in bump and rebound. Looking forward to seen some pics of the set up . What's your current ride height front and rear under jacking points ? 15cm and 17cm ? Just guessing . My track car was 13" and 15" but that's on 15" rims and lower A arms were still in fairly good position.
Steve R
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Steve R »

Ride height is 14cm front 15.5cm rear from jacking point to floor, that's on 225/40/16 tyres.
Re total front travel, not entirely sure as I didn't measure that when doing the work.... by eye: roughly at least 10cm of rebound, in bump probably no more than 5cm before the bump stops enter the game.

Dropped spindles would certainly improve geometry and travel too ! I do have two sets of front spindles & hubs, but I've never felt brave enough to trust them being cut up and re-welded to give the necessary extended lower section.
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

Steve R wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:33 am Dropped spindles would certainly improve geometry and travel too ! I do have two sets of front spindles & hubs, but I've never felt brave enough to trust them being cut up and re-welded to give the necessary extended lower section.
Perhaps instead of drop spindles, look at doing an upside down lower balljoint conversion?
Tho from looking at photos of upside down lower balljoints, the change is quite dramatic.
So the answer could be an upside down lower balljoint, but with the lower section shortened (the lower balljoint boss would be moved closer to the stub axle). You'd still be cutting and welding, but you could then add gussets to the lower section.
The pic shared obviously has flipped top and bottom balljoints, rather than just the bottom one, but you get the idea about adding gussets to the lower balljoint boss area.
Using MD's 'patented' ( :D ) Holden/Opel Gemini lower balljoint, you get better roll center height, a better camber curve, more bump travel and a more rigid upright/spindle.
Attachments
14034882_10207330637077461_2997332967353798616_n.jpg
14034882_10207330637077461_2997332967353798616_n.jpg (102.64 KiB) Viewed 4505 times
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

Duk,

Is that Richard M's stuff? I think just the extended top ball joint should already help correct the geometry for a lowered car. Probably not the best solution but it's pretty safe and lower cost approach instead of a drop spindle or a modified upright to fit an upside down ball joint .

MD also patented the upside down bumper, as he demonstrated on one of his race cars. So he is good when it comes flipping things upside down. :mrgreen:
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

Zamani,

I reckon I found that picture on Mendes website for IMSA Alfa parts. It's been in the Alfa pics folder a long.