Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
zambon
Verde
Verde

James Z. WI-NY-MX,

Post by zambon »

I have a different thread on here, but it is so old that I thought I should start up another. This month I finally managed to get my 3.0 Milano Gold back on the road. It has been down for the count for the past 9 years while I went through everything between the rear wheel bearings and the crank pulley (now from a gtv6).

The story began when I tried to drive the car from Mexico to the northern US state of Wisconsin. By the time I arrived, it was sounding so bad that I thought I was about to throw a rod. I pulled the motor and discovered that one of the heads had rattled loose. I think the previous owner had failed to re-torque the heads after installing new head gaskets when he did the 3.0 swap, but I can't be sure. At this point, I should have thrown in a new head gasket and gone back to enjoying the car. Instead, I did the opposite and tore her down. I guess I was reading forums too much and I wanted the car to reach its potential. Or I was just young.

Things changed in my life and I was not usually around the car in the following years. I would generally get to work on it only during the summer months when I would visit Wisconsin. That made progress very slow and there were many times when I thought I should just buy a different Milano. I had the engine, Transmission, steering system and rear suspension spread out between several garages and shops. Things do not usually end well for cars under these types of circumstances.

Fortunately, I found the light at the end of the tunnel. I finally got the car back together last week. I finished it the day before I had to return to NY for grad school. There are still a lot of things to sort out, but my feelings for the car have returned and it was just as good as I remembered it. I am extremely happy to have seen things through. A lot of things have changed since I started this project, and I guess my tastes have changed some as well.

Next summer i hope to upgrade my cooling, replace my lower control arm bushings, finish break in, possibly install Evoluzione bumpers and euro lights that I have around, relocate the battery, and switch over to Megasquirt. In the mean time, I will be back on here pestering everyone for advice as I plan those projects and start accumulating the things I will need.

Here is a photo of the car after its first drive in 9 years- a short trip of 1/8 mile from the garage to the gas pump. The car is rattier than this photo makes it seem, but my friend from the old email list, Scott Potter, told me that I should only care how it looks going 100 mph at midnight.

Thanks to everyone here for all your help over the years.
Attachments
IMG_7374.JPG
IMG_7374.JPG (246.7 KiB) Viewed 5694 times
Murray
Verde
Verde

Re: James Z. WI-NY-MX,

Post by Murray »

James Z.
Obviously you share our passion for these transaxle cars.Your machine looks enticing.I'm sure it stirs your soul just as does my Rossa whenever I'm on a windy empty country road hanging out in third and making her sing @ 7000 rpm.Exquisite !
Last edited by Murray on Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

Murray- You run your GTV6 up to 7,000? I have not broken in my engine yet and my tach is not working, so I have not taken things up high yet. I can't wait to hear what she sounds like at those speeds.
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

"Murray- You run your GTV6 up to 7,000?"
Yes regularly she isn't happy unless she gets tickled.Keep in mind I have blueprinted my head with high pro valve springs so I guess in good conscious I strongely suggest you don't surpass the factory recommended Rpm Ha!Your gonna do it and you're gonna love it ! Enjoy.
1986-GTV6
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

Fortunately I also have high performance valve springs. I wonder how high I should rev it? I recall reading that the rockers are one of the main issues that limit how high we can rev, but i don't remember what the conclusions were. Might have to do some searches on here...
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

James
All I can tell you is that I've driven many many miles and done a lot of on track racing.I rarely look at my tach, mostly sound and feeling the torque start to wane.I'm sure I've crossed the 7k imaginary threshold many times and nary a problem.Needless to say you don't seek the upper limits unless everything feels absolutely right and there's a valid reason for doing it,Alfa madness qualifies.In addition you're rolling a 3.0L so who knows how differently that engine takes to being called to the upper limits ?
1986-GTV6
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

Murray-I'm encouraged to hear that you have revved your V6 so much. I know that the 2.5 is a bit happier to rev than the 3.0 12v, but I have a lot into this 3.0. I wonder what everyone thinks my rev limit should be. Maybe I will make a thread and ask.