powderhoundcd
Gold
Gold

New Carpet

Post by powderhoundcd »

I'm trying to restore an '83 GTV6 and need to replace the interior carpet. Are there any good sources out there?

The only one that I've found is World Upholstry, but their carpet sets aren't molded (I think). Where else are they available?

If I do have to mold it to my car, how much work is required?

Thanks!

Carson
alfettagtrond
Silver
Silver

Post by alfettagtrond »

I have the exact same problem :) Nice if someone can reply!
Just a couple of tweeks and it will run well...
David
Gold
Gold

Post by David »

Tru-fit carpets in Melbourne AUS sell a moulded carpet for the GTV's. I looked into this just recently but haven't purchased a set as yet. Maybe someone who has used them can comment on fit, etc.

http://www.tru-fitcarpets.com.au/

David
1985 GTV6 3.0 Zender Body Kit - Red
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

David, great find!
I have been looking for a one piece moulded carpet for a while(to replace my one piece 'molded' carpet). Several companies sell multipiece carpet sets(not what I want).....
David
Gold
Gold

Post by David »

I'm not sure but I think they are two piece, front & rear. Not a problem though if they fit well and the join is under the seats.

David
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

David, I just sent off an email to Tru-fit to see if they make a one piece. Will find out soon.. Two piece is fine as well, though.
powderhoundcd
Gold
Gold

Post by powderhoundcd »

To update you guys,

I ended up buying a cut and sewn carpet set from Fryer's Auto Upholstery Kits. It came in two pieces, and were fairly good quality.

To be really honest, the fit wasn't what I was looking for. For cut and sewn, it was probably very good, especially in the front. I ended up installing the old carpet, and laying the new cut and sewn piece for the front over it, leaving the back of the old carpet visible. I'm hoping that it settles into place, but as of right now, it doesn't look quite like the original. Time will tell.

Hope this can be of some help!

Carson[/url]
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Directly from Tru-Fit:

"We have a 2 piece moulded carpet for a 1979 - 1988 Alfa GTV 2dr only. We have a full colour range which can be viewed on our website:

www.tru-fitcarpets.com.au

The superplush carpet is approx 8 to 10 mm thick, but only comes in black or storm (dark) grey. Carpets range from A$105.00 in a loop pile to A$135.00 in a superplush. Shipping cost is approx. A$75.00, this depends on weight."

They also have at least 10 color choices in regular plush. I just want to make sure the heel pad is on the correct (US/ITAL)side!
GregoryV
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GregoryV »

I've been wanting to replace the carpet in my v6 as well. I talked to International Auto who has the sew-in sets - I guess you you glue them in. Has anyone installed a set from them?

I remember talking to an auto upholstry place the other year back who would make and install new carpet doing it glue-in style ... as to the heel pad they said they would cut the old one out and glue it in the right place - okay I guess but a new one would be better. Can't remember the price though.

:o Great find on Tru-Fit - would order now but also would want to know about the heel pad - still the price seems right!

Gregory
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Geez guys ! I can't beleive what Iam reading most of the time that comes out of the States. What's happened to your tradesmen? In this case the automotive upholsterer. You know the guy you hand over the car to and he rebuilds the complete interior from the turret lining down, including dashboard, door trims, carpets, and of course recovers seats in anything from fur balls to croc skin ? I simply cannot believe you have to import carpet from Oz for such a basic job. :?

I can see that this business of everybody wanting a job on the end of keyboard these days is going to get us all in the deep doodoo one day. :cry:

I had mine fully hand made here using material that allow the fibres to breathe. That moulded crap makes a total seal on the back of the carpet that can make the metal lining sweat underneath and induce rust but worst of all, try vacuuming out the sand after a visit to the beach. Good luck. The vacuum sucks on the plastic backing and moves sweat F. A. Its crap in any colour you like. I dont know (well I do) why Alfa uses it as OE.

Sorry, I got the shits. I think I am on my hormone cycle... :oops:
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
David
Gold
Gold

Post by David »

Now, MD, firstly a couple of teaspoons of cornflour should fix your first problem and change you medication for the second.

I have to disagree with you on the OEM carpet issue. Surely the fact that I can go out and lift up 22 year old carpet in my GTV6's and find as new paint on the floor and no rust, speaks volumes for the sealing ability of the carpet backing. I've never heard of floors sweating under carpet. Problems will only occur if water leaks in and gets under the carpet. The only reason I looked at replacing my carpet was the PO had spilt chlorine or the like on the rear floor and bleached the colour. The carpet backing prevented any damage to the underlay or floor.

I've used after market moulded carpets on previous restorations, RS2000's etc and would not hesitate to use them again.

David
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Thanks for the home brew remedies Dr Dave. I find it boring to read other peoples debates so I am not about to start one. You have put a counter argument regarding the beneifts of sealed backings as being benficial. The punters can mull that over and decide for themselves.

Do you want to also tell the balance of the story in terms of your experience with trying to vacuum granular particles from deep within the pile when the backing prevents a full lifting suction to be applied? If surface fluff is all you want to remove, go for it. On the other hand, if you ever replaced an old sealed back carpet on any vehicle and took the trouble to beat the sh*t out of it upside down and took note what falls out, I believe you just might change your mind.

Dave, it would be a boring world if we all agreed about everything all the time wouldn't it?
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Last time I removed the carpet and cleaned it with a professional carpet cleaner. When I replaced it, I used mildew resistant sealed carpet padding (6$ a square yard from carpet dealers) Good sound proofing , too.......The original carpet padding was wet and falling apart. No rust, though. Of course, the new padding probably burns much faster!
Attachments
CARPET PAD.JPG
CARPET PAD.JPG (28.95 KiB) Viewed 16594 times
GregoryV
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GregoryV »

<<On the other hand, if you ever replaced an old sealed back carpet on any vehicle and took the trouble to beat the sh*t out of it upside down and took note what falls out, I believe you just might change your mind.>>

Hey, the last car I did that to netted me a good bag of kids toys, $4 in pennies and nickles, hair clips and ring!

So what was the cost to have the carpet done by an upholster? Last time I checked I think around $300 or $350.

G
David
Gold
Gold

Post by David »

MD, no problem, just trying to give another point of view. Besides, there's nothing wrong with a bit of fluff in a GTV6. :lol:

David