grega
Gold
Gold

turn signal arrow light in dash

Post by grega »

Hey guys. When i signal right the arrow lights blink in my dash. but when i signal left the arrows in the dash don't flash, but my actual signal lights front and back do work both ways. What could he reason for this be? What should i check?

Thanks
Greg A
Toronto
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

pop out the gauge.... it is probably one of those mini light bulbs.
V
grega
Gold
Gold

Post by grega »

i pulled out the spedomete gauge. There's only one bulb for the singal arrows, so it's not the bulb. Since it works when i signal right.
My discription of my problem was inaccurate. The left signal works w/ the lights off but it doesn't work when my lights are on.

Oddly enough the problem has mysteriously vanished. Perhaps it will reappear later. Do the signals work on a relay?

Greg
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

i would asume that its a dirty contact in the combi switch
grega
Gold
Gold

Post by grega »

Where can i find the combi switch? Is it the relays on the passenger side firewall?

thanks
Greg
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

it would be the turn signal switch itself behind the steering wheel....about the only thing i know of that could actualy cause that type of an issue whil still allowing the actual signals to still work as well as some times work some times not.....
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

It could be the turn signal assebmly switches or It will be the flasher relay. I have the same intermittent problem, and once again to the left. I have had all of the lights out, cleaned checked, replaced bulbs, and it didnt help. The only thing I havent removed is the relay. The relay contains cheap post office leaf switches, rather than self cleaning wiper switches, hence they gum up and get dirty. If it was the stork switching, then no indication on that side would work at all, but you say that the indication works, you just dont get light on the dash. Flasher relay then.
grega
Gold
Gold

Post by grega »

it does make sense that it could be the the flasher. Does the flasher have a seperate curcuit for left and right turn signals?

Greg
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

i dont know i havent taken it out yet on mine. Why dont you just take the entire stork switching unit off, and the flasher relay out, open them all up and douze them in contact cleaner or carb cleaner spray, put them in the oven for 10 minutes at 35 degrees, take em out, apply a little copper grease to all the contactors and put it all back in? It should only take a couple of hours to finish. If you feel inclined to do so, you can also power it all up out of the car. If the fault persists when you put it all back in, then you know its the car side, ie bad earth etc. It is also worth re-heating any solder joints in the relay with a soldering iron. Most of the gtv6 pcb boards are crap, the joints break down. I had a dicky speedo recently, and surprise surprise the offender was loose solder joints in the sender. Failing that, I will be doing mine this weekend, Ill post pics of the offender when I find it.
constantinemacris
Gold
Gold

Post by constantinemacris »

there is a flasher unit. It has about 4 wires going into it. It is located under the dash on a metal member that runs to the steering column. There are buzzers on it and the wiper relay. It is the smaller of the two black boxes under there. The only thing i can assume is that if you are getting the outside indicator lights are working then the "indicator indicator" is run off that relay, so if the lights work and the indicators work but the lights don't and it isn't the bulb then i think it has gotta be that flasher unit. I have an extra one. Email if you need it.
Dini@cleaniedini.com
oshkoshalfa
Silver
Silver

Re: turn signal arrow light in dash

Post by oshkoshalfa »

I also had this problem on my '84GTV6. My issue was with the relay, if you put pressure on it, the interior indicator would work.
mikekath@iafrica.com
Silver
Silver

Re: turn signal arrow light in dash

Post by mikekath@iafrica.com »

15 years after the last post on this thread and just had the exact same issue. All exterior indicator lights working fine, but light on speedo cluster not. Removed the cluster and tested globe and wiring all seemed fine, but the voltage was too low.
It was again a loose indicator relay.
My relay only has 3 wires. A permanently positive feed (as needs to operate hazard lights if car off) from the fused box, a pulse lead out (blue and black) to the speedo cluster and another feed out (black) to the steering column for the indicator lever.
A few giggles and twists and the relay was sending a stronger pulse to the cluster once more.
Suspect the relay may be getting a bit old and tired so need to source another.