cchan
Platinum
Platinum

Dash Removal

Post by cchan »

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone know the correct proceedure for removing a dash from a 82 GTV6. I am removing this so that I can have it removed and refurbished.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

cchan in order to remove the dash procede as follows:

- remove all the instruments.Mark the connectors to speed up re-assembly.
- remove the two screws that fasten the radio console to the dash.
- remove the four round dash vents (two on top and two on the ends of the dash) by pulling firmly.
- disconnect wiring to the glovebox light.
- the dash is fastened to the chassis with four nuts.Two are under the dash on the ends.The one on the driver's side has a bunch of black ground connections attached to it which you need to keep track of for re-assembly.The other two are accessed through the dash-top air vents.

Once you have these four nuts removed the dash can be pulled.Lower the steering column and you'll be able to wiggle the dash up and out.
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

Dash Removal

Post by cchan »

Hi Murray,

Thank you very much for the instructions on how to do this. I really appreiate it and will let you know how it goes.

:D
hutchensgd
Gold
Gold

Post by hutchensgd »

When I restored my GTV6 I had my dash pulled. When it was out I had it shipped to www.justdashes.com

They did an excellent job on the dash. It looks perfect! As I understand it, it was quite a job to get it back in. There was a lot of trimming of the vinyl to get it back in.

If you have any questions I could probably hook you up with the people who put mine back in should you run into any issues.

One thing, identifying the wires on the harness when you pull the wires from the dash may be a great idea.
Glenn
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

Dash Removal

Post by cchan »

Thanks for the information. I am going to use just dashes as well. I am glad that they did a good job. I have not approached them yet. Do you mind if I ask how much it cost??
hutchensgd
Gold
Gold

Post by hutchensgd »

I do not have the recipt, but I know it was more than a $1000.
Glenn
116_Veloce
Silver
Silver

Post by 116_Veloce »

Glenn,

I sent you a detailed PM about the dashboard restoration. I also had it done by "Just Dashes" a long time ago and was not very happy with the results. Your input appreciated...
Fate agli altri quello che vorreste sia fatto a voi
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

I have heard about Just Dashes for years in the muscle car world and they have a reputation as being very good and equally as expensive.

hth,
Scott
116_Veloce
Silver
Silver

Post by 116_Veloce »

I had no complaints about the quality of work or materials, but for some reason they insist on a wrong-pattern vinyl for some alfas, and the dash lost some detailing, mainly the sharpness of it's lines when I got it back.

I'm not trying to make conclusions about them, worldwide there are very few companies that restore dashboards to factory specs. I want to hear hutchensgds studied opinion about the work he got...
Fate agli altri quello che vorreste sia fatto a voi
hutchensgd
Gold
Gold

Post by hutchensgd »

They did a superb job on my dash. I could not be happier! I had a few GTV-6's side by side last year, and everybody thought the dash looked great!
Glenn
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

If a original dash is pulled out, then why would they have to cut alot of the original vinyl to get it back in...? :shock:

Thats not right. :?

Selling 1985 GTV6.

Ecu and injectors, lightened.....plays music.
hutchensgd
Gold
Gold

Post by hutchensgd »

Garth,

My understanding is that two things contributed to this:

(1) The coating thickness which Just Dashes molded to the dash was well thicker than from the factory

(2) The mounting pad areas, and maybe some other areas where originally not coated, but just dashes did coat them
Glenn
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Ah well then that makes sense.... :oops:

:wall: woops....

Selling 1985 GTV6.

Ecu and injectors, lightened.....plays music.