s0rr0w
Silver
Silver

New window cable

Post by s0rr0w »

Hi.
Can anyone please help, in regards how to install new winder cables in the electric motors ? or point me in the right direction ?
Thanx
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

if posible id take a look at the door on the other side of the car and look at how its setup...much easyer than any explanation
s0rr0w
Silver
Silver

Post by s0rr0w »

Thanx for your reply. 8)
Both sides need to be done, the cables that pull the window are gone, so im kind of stuck in the dark here.
Maybe if its been talked about on a forum before, and you know the link, you could point me in that direction.

Thank you.
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

Are the cables missing altogether?? :shock: thats weird, since you have to take the barrels apart completely to remove the cables.

To be honest, without having another unmolested barrel with cable still installed, you are going to have a really tough job. The cable is easy hard enough to locate in the tracks on the barrel, but the slack has to be routed around the correct side of the posts on the drum too. thats were you need one that has been removed but not messed with. To install, you need the manual winding tool that comes with your alfa tool set.

You need to unwind enough cable to be able to locate the cable around all the top door pulleys, whilst keepinmg the cable tensioned all the while, otherwise it unravels and you start again (the window needs to be jammed all the way up to do that) whilst keeping enough tension on the barrel to stop the cable unravelling. Once around the top pulleys,and keeping the tension on all throughout, locate the two lowest studs of the barrel assembly into the door and wind on the nuts a few turns. You pull the cable around the bottom rear most pulley last of all, and then man handle the last barrel assembly stud into the door. You then do up the cable pinch bolt on the bootom of the window. Next, use the manual winding tool to lower the window as far as it will go. if it locks out before the window is right down, release the cable pinch bolt, and let the window fall to its stop, then do up the pinch bolt again. In this way you can fine adjust the window until it travels the right amount each way. It all sounds easy, but its a nightmare to do!!!, as you have to keep the tension on the cable and barrel throughout the whole procedure, or it all unravels. Its an absolutely crap design, Im amazed it ever got into production. you need the patience of 10 saints!

Sorry the description is so poor, but there really is only one way to do it, and thats by trial and error , until you get it right. The alfa workshop manuals are not much help . Ill dig out a picture of barrel with cable on
s0rr0w
Silver
Silver

Post by s0rr0w »

Thanx mjr.

Jip, both the cables are gone.
And im having kind of a hard time getting the right cables for the job, know of any replacement cable/line i can use ? a Picture would really help a lot, thanx.
I dont even have one of those "manual winding tools" you are talking about.

Tanx for your reply..
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

sorrow, Im looking for pictures, and will post them when I find, in the next few days, unfotunatey I dont have pictures of the cable installed in the door, that would involve me taking all the sound proofing out of a door again, which I dont want to do until next wax injection. The pictures of the barrel and cable assembly should help though.

mj
s0rr0w
Silver
Silver

Post by s0rr0w »

No need to strip your pannels :)
You have already helped a lot, thanx mjr.
Mark Walshaw
Gold
Gold

Re: New window cable

Post by Mark Walshaw »

I have been rewinding the window since the early 80's from my GT with manuel winders to GTV6's with electric windows. Its a bit unconventional in that I use bicycle brake cabels (not the one with the barrel type end but the bullet shaped one, usually for road bicycle). I use two cables starting at the barrel I wind the first cable on the correct way, I then use paper masking tape to secure the cable to the barrel.
I then wind the second cable the opposite way and secure this with a second strip of masking tape. i do roughly the same amount of turns per side. Don't use plastic type insulation tape. once this is complete cut away any excess tape and fit barrel into winder mechanism and attach the motor. Now loosely fit completed window winder into the door, you can now route cables over and under pulleys and thread the two cables from opposite directions through the window pinch bolt clamp.
I then pull the two cables taught with the window approximately halfway up. Tighten the pinch bolts and cut away excess cable. Now turn the window winder mechanism forward to further tension the cables and tighten the 3 nuts to secure the winder mechanism. Now for the tricky part I use the bent part of a metal scriber to tear and peal the masking tape off the winder ( this is why you do not use plastic tape as it does not tear, been there done that.) The window is now ready to use.