das
Silver
Silver

stereo options?

Post by das »

Hey all,

I have the blaupunkt cassette deck with only 2 rear speakers in my 84.

Yes, the engine is the sweetest sound, but on those summer days you just need some cruising music.

so, what are my options without spending a sh*tload of $?

I called crutchfield and they say there is no harness for the gtv6, so I'd have to rewire everything.

plus the rear speakers are flatter that standard due to the window being able to roll down

then, I'd have to cut holes in the front door panel to add speakers? is that possible?

I don't know.....

please post installs or ideas if you got em

thanks

das
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

i put a set of 4x6's in the front and 5x7s in the back. 6x9's were too big in the back, so i used a 6x9 to 5x7 adaptor. You can use the stock wiring , just follow the directions in the head unit manual.
Be carefu. If the head unit is powerful it will cause fuses to burn out left and right. Hence you might want to run some fresh wire directly form the battery, with an inline fuse and please run good speaker wire in place of the old 22 gauge crap.
good luck
vittorio
powderhoundcd
Gold
Gold

Post by powderhoundcd »

When I redid my door panel upholstry I cut some speaker holes and put a set of 6.5 inch component speakers (MB Quart) in there. Came out really nicely and the sound is awesome.

If you were going to do it with the stock upholstry on there, I would just suggest being very careful to plan ahead for the hole and where you're going to cut.

Carson
Attachments
DSCN0052.JPG
DSCN0052.JPG (63.05 KiB) Viewed 10979 times
Carson James Darling
83 GTV-6 2.5L (in progress)
Support a poor highschooler's addiction!
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

looks nice, Powder...usually people screw up the door speakers and the next one to get the car has ragged holes
powderhoundcd
Gold
Gold

Post by powderhoundcd »

That actually happened to me, but I patched the old holes when I redid the upholstry. I used some thin composite board cut it to the shape of the hole and then used aluminum roof flashing and gorrilla glue to hold it in. So far it's worked extremely well. Once it was patched I then cut my own holes and did the finishing touches. The metal underneath wasn't in as good of shape though but I don't have the skill, tools, or know how to fix that.

Carson
Carson James Darling
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

If you have ppl in your car alot, would pay to get good spkr's front and back. If only you or 2 ppl in front more, then a good front stage set-up would be best. The spkr set up you have are good in the doors. But sometimes, like in my car, your leg can sometimes block sound coming out of the tweeters. :roll: Couple of tweeters on either far side on top of dash is a nice spot too.

A small sub in the back will provide the bass, for bass is non-directional, it will be everywhere, where your spkrs will only be blasting out treble, so no distortion and alot more clarity :wink:

The design of the gtv6 is great for stereo, specially bass because of the rear coupe shape, throws it thru the back(bass) off hatch screen and thru to you very well. Afew years ago i used to have a 15" Rockford Fostgate 1200W sub, with only 800watts going thru amp i achieved 138.5db with the rear parcel shelf still in place. Was something i did for abit of fun one weekend, db drag racing lol. :roll:
powderhoundcd
Gold
Gold

Post by powderhoundcd »

GarthW: My car doesn't even have rear seats right now so the front setup is definitely best for me. But I personally think that rear speakers are pointless in this car even with that rear seat. There's no where good to put them for the rear passengers to set the sound stage right and they would detract from the front sound setup.

However, the sub setup you mentioned seems perfect. I have a 10" Jensen sub back there right now and I love it.

das: If you're still thinking about sound, I strongly believe that the car needs speakers in the doors

Carson Darling
Carson James Darling
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Oh dont cut bigger holes in doors, just build speaker pods and have speakers sticking out abit, its what i did, and no problem.

Selling 1985 GTV6.

Ecu and injectors, lightened.....plays music.
Fernando
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Fernando »

I had Pioneer 6 X 9 mounted in the backboard.Had it done by a sound shop who mounted them on a proper wood base.This was 3 years ago and the back board is still perfect.When you look at the back board through the rear window you wouldn't even know I have speakers fitted...perfect to deter a certain type of shopper... :D

Sound quality is fantastic and did not require me to cut holes into my doors to obain good quality sound.Fitted a 12 disc JVC CD shuttle in the boot,mounted above where the battery sits.
"Racing is life,everything before and after is just waiting."- Steve Mqueen
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

I vote for front speakers only. To keep budget under control, buy only one set of speakers. Gives better imaging too. I dont recomend installing the tweeters far away from the woofer on components. If the woofer is going in the door, I would put the tweeter there too.

Also, an amp is a good idea. Better to get a modest head unit from the middle of the range and install it with an amp than to use the money for an expensive head unit sans amp.

good luck
james