PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

How much sound - proofing is sound - proofing?

Post by PietereQ »

Well im interested if there's anyone here driving without the sound insulation mat, the one placed on the firewall in the engine bay? Does the noise levels increased greately? Im still going to have the mats installed in the interior, but the one I have under the hood looks really tired, and since I'm restoring the car now, I dont know whether I shall seek options to save it or just trash it.

Thanks,
Pete
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

sound proofing requires, if thin, a dense absorber, which means weight...
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

x-rad wrote:sound proofing requires, if thin, a dense absorber, which means weight...
That I know, but does it really get much louder without the insulation mat in the engine bay?
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

I used standard semi fire retardant 1/2 thick carpet pad under all carpeting which is also semi mold resistant...deadened sound pretty well and did not weigh much (and cheap!)
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

Thanks x-rad, I guess that I'll have a nice looking engine bay after all :D
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

haha...sorry, it looks better under the carpet..
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

I would guess that a small ammount of dynamat would kill more resonance than a large ammount of blanket. dynamat is sort of heavy, but if you didnt go crazy it could most likely weigh about the same as the stock piece. I dont know if you would like the look though.

edit: I just looked at my milano and it has had the blanket removed. I had never noticed before. The car isnt very loud or anything, so I think it is fine to remove the blanket. If it is louder, it will most likely transmit desireable (unless you are Consumer Reports) engine noise anyway.