hutchensgd
Gold
Gold

Window roll up speed, as well as windshield wiper speed

Post by hutchensgd »

I have known for a long while that the windows go up and down slowly, but I just saw that my wipers are like too slow to even work in rain. Is there something which can be done?
Glenn
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

I have the same wiper problem..have not fixed it yet

Did buy a 'new' motor/gear set fro ebay just in case..
MALDI
Platinum
Platinum

Post by MALDI »

1) Clean all electrical contacts, especially grounds.
2) Check voltage coming out of alternator, install new higher voltage regulator to overcome resistance of 20 year old electrical system.
3) Use Rain-X on the winshield to lower friction.
4) Drive only when sunny ( :wink: )
'84 GTV6 3.0L
'81 X1/9
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

From your description I would say that the first thing you should check for is a problem with low voltage.Use a multimeter and verify the alternator output - should be 13.5 - 14.2 V approx.You should also monitor it as you switch on some of the loads - wipers etc.If those values are OK move your multimeter to the connections for the loads involved to ensure that full voltage is getting to the wiper motor and window motors.
If the voltage values are good the next thing to verify is mechanical resistance in both the wiper motor gearbox and the power window mechanism.Old grease in these things can get thick and sticky and slow them down.You should also make sure that the cables and pullies in the window mechanism are free-moving and well lubricated.
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
patzo_3l
Platinum
Platinum

Post by patzo_3l »

run individual earths/ground wires for each thing and as short as you can. the wiper runs a shared earth. also i fitted a 75 wiper motor to mine and it did make a difference in speed and was also smaller. also with the windows apart from the friction issue and old grease, if you ever get a chance to do some fiddling, shortening of the power wires to the window motors help.
patzo_3l

3l gtv6 turbo 85'
2006 147 gta selespeed
1990 75 twinspark
1998 spider
2.0l gtv 85'
33 1.7ie
nisaar
Gold
Gold

Post by nisaar »

:lol: Hey dudes I have a solution to your e-window problem

i have had 3 GTV'S the thing to do is open the Door panel take out the motor making very sure you "don't tangle the cable", if you do you will shit bricks to get that spoole right agin belive me.

Next you open the motor mechinisim and scrape out the old grease use thinners it seems to do the job the grease on these motors become hard and yellow.

Remenber to put new grease I Use WB axel grease it works like a bomb

Just asseble up and your all ready to go
As for wipers I donno never had that problem :cry:
5yearplan
Gold
Gold

Post by 5yearplan »

I am selling a wiper box if you can't seem to get them up to speed. I didn't think mine were that slow, but I was driving around in an '85 BMW 353i for awhile and those wipers are slooooooooooooow.... And make no torque, they would barely push snow off the window in the winter, scary :shock: Otherwise, i wonder if one could re-grease the wiper motor and assy? I will have to try.
Exception
Silver
Silver

Post by Exception »

I had all these issues, and they went away promptly after I put the ignition key on a relay. Because all these controls (windows, wipers etc) go through the ignition switch, it dfeteriorates over time and gives poor connectivity. Putting in a relay will give more juice to your applicances AND prolong the life of the ignition switch. It's a cheap ($100) solution for many problems.
While at it you could choose to also put your headlights on relays. Will be much more powerful and drain less power from the rest of the system.
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

exception: how did you wire the relay up?