tonkatoy189
Silver
Silver

speedo not working

Post by tonkatoy189 »

my speedo (82 gtv6) stopped working. well, it works occasionally. from what i've read its probably the sender in the trans. but the amplifier behind the glove box clicks when ever the speedo is working. is that normal? also i've aquired a 140mph speedo and would like to switch it with my 85mph speedo. i think i need the speedo amplifier from a later model car. does anyone know if i need a diffrent sender too?
thanks
david
aussie muscle
Silver
Silver

Post by aussie muscle »

i'll bump this topic because i'm having a similar problem.
Reality is a nice place, but i wouldn't want to live there...
tonkatoy189
Silver
Silver

Post by tonkatoy189 »

no solution yet. I've had a bit of a set back. Was side swiped last fall and I'm trying to get the body work done.
way too many projects

david
block
Silver
Silver

Post by block »

Make sure your needle is not bent back against the face of the gage. This happens regularly. There are some fixes at alfabb.com.
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

first off..i have the 140 speedo..there is NO amplifier ....tho id be willing to bet you need the 140mph sending unit off of the transaxle...which is SPECIFIC to the gtv6..a milano unit will not work(gtv6 is a cable unit the milano is a magnetic/hall effect setup)
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

ditto, didnt know the pre 83's had an amplifier, thaught it was a wave rectified signal direct to the speedo box.? try take off sender from gbox, open it up, replace resistor, and cap if you want, and reheat all the solder joints. close back up/rust proof, re/seal. worked for me, problem gone.
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

this is the little bastard that seems to flake out and cause all the problems.
assides from the coil pick up (which dont go wrong, unless burned out) I think the hunting speedo needle is caused by bad solder joints on the capacitors and resisitors, hence instead of a nice regular wave output, you get an irratic output that the speedo pcb cant smooth out. I think most of the work is done by this little unit. looking at the speedo, it has a few caps and resisitors in it, but I think they are purely for final smoothing of the signal.
Attachments
sender.jpg
sender.jpg (50.43 KiB) Viewed 7857 times
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Guys, you may get a bit more response if this item was in the ELECTRICAL...topic set instead of Interiors which is about upholstery, carpets, door kobs, hood linings and hot chicks in the cabin (if that's ever a problem? ) :D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Yea,I got that last problem MD talked about !!
Attachments
turbo curves.jpg
turbo curves.jpg (140.46 KiB) Viewed 7834 times
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.