Alan Dezzani
Silver
Silver

Sun Roof Seal N Drain Problem

Post by Alan Dezzani »

With the recent rains here in California my 1986 GTV6 has begun retaining water. The water appears to be coming in through the sun roof seal and leaking out, inside the car, at the bases of the front windshield pillars. When the leaks first developed they actually came down inside from the edge of the sun roof. I tried to unclog the drain tubes running down the inside of the pillars, by running a fine wire down each one. I may have unseated the tubes. Does anyone know to access these tubes without damaging the trim on the interior of the pillars And can the sun roof seal be made water tight?
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Never get the seal absolutely wassertight, that's why the collection channel...but sunroof can be welded closed

Take the seal to a local restoration shop or local BIG auto parts store...you may find something that fits

best bet is to re-establish drainage tubes
GregoryV
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GregoryV »

The way it rained last week I wouldn't be surprised - it was such a downpour! The Pillar upholstery panel isn't so difficult to pry off if you pull back the weatherstrip on the door side, but the problem may be up under the headliner?

Years back we had an Alfetta Sport Sedan with sunroof - first rain it leaked like anything. I ended up getting some silicone sealant, waxed the inside channel and then squeezed a small bead of silicone around the seal. After curing I very carefully cut around it with a sharp X-acto blade and it worked quite well. It doesn't take much.

These seals look similar (my memory may be good or not good here) might be worth a look:

http://www.thepartsbin.com/repsite/bmw~ ... parts.html

GV
20-Years-3-Motors-Later