jjeffries
Silver
Silver

how best to increase legroom for driver's seat?

Post by jjeffries »

Is there an effective and safe way to re-mount the driver's seat rearwards in order to provide more legroom for the driver? I realise that one ingredient will be to remove the rear seat lower cushion, since the backrest of my driver's seat is already contacting the rear seat. I'm 6'1", and am quite comfortable in my '74 GTV (admittedly with accelerator pedal modification kit from Ricambi), but find myself developing right leg/knee pain when driving my '86 GTV6 for more than an hour.
MALDI
Platinum
Platinum

Post by MALDI »

Remove the driver's seat. You will find two tabs on the tracks that prevent the seat from going back all the way. Bend these out of the way. There is a second set of stops that allow about 2 more inches of travel. When you use these stops the seat will go all the way back to touch the front of the rear seat.
'84 GTV6 3.0L
'81 X1/9
jjeffries
Silver
Silver

Post by jjeffries »

thanks very much, I will do that.

Does anyone ever modify the throttle pedal geometry, to lower the pedal height with compromising throttle opening?
GTV27
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GTV27 »

Also, you can remove the spacers under the runners to put the seat closer to the floor. If that doesn't do it for you, put in an aftermarket seat with custom adapter to the runners that will get you closer to the floor and as close to the rear seat as you like.

I don't have the height 'problem' that you have, but have modified the position using a steering hub extender, bent gear lever and lower seat and find that is much more comfy. Still the accel pedal is a bit high for long journeys (the trip to the local racetrack is almost two hours and does induce some discomfort that can only be relieved by regularly stretching the right foot towards the firewall :twisted: - only in low gears though oriffcer :oops:
Jason
1983 GTV6 2.8 litre
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Mr. J
As Jason says, all that stuff helps. In relation to the pedal geometry, the problem is that it is too high and has a long travel. This results in the foot having to angle back unnaturally and hence the sore ankle before too long.

The fix is not quick nor does it suit everyone but here it is.

The cable cam at the throtle body works on a logarithmic principle. Giving gradual fuel with a light initial pedal movement. As you progressively move through the full pedal movement, the cam accelerates the arc swing. This makes for smooth take offs for the general public that drive cars.

However, now that you are an ALFA driver, you have the smarts to use any sort of throttle. Am I right? At this point you got no choice but to agree.

What to do.

1 Piss off the original throttle cable cam. It has the wrong profile and its diameter is too big.
2 Visit a motor wrecker and find your self a cam that is one third the diameter and fit it to your throttle body. Be prepared to stuff around a lot before you are done.

This will translate into a rapid and large butterfly movement for a lot less pedal travel. If you can get a cam that is more of a circle than not, you will get a uniform travel.

Now for the icing on the cake. You will need to increase the tension substantially on the throttle return lever as this is the other problem. As soon as you rest your foot on the throttle pedal, the car wants to go and holding it back is what gives the pain. So with a heavy spring to work against, you will easily rest your foot on the pedal without the car running away with itself.

Some experimentation is required by you to get the correct spring tension that suits you personally. You will also need to practise using your new throttle cable cam as the first thing that will happen is that you will provide too much throttle unitentionally which will cause a brisk take off followed usually by an equally abrupt deceleration because you have backed off too much like a learner driver. Sidewalk observers may think there is a Kangaroo behind the wheel...

Once you get used to this hair trigger throttle you will be fine. The side benefit is that the you get to full throttle much faster. OOh yeah !!

Good luck. :D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
jjeffries
Silver
Silver

Post by jjeffries »

Thanks much for that information; it explains much. I will have to do some investigating to figure out which car might yield a better shaped cam. Any suggestions appreciated.I'm not all that found of how the throttle "tips-in" on this car; maybe with your suggestion I can make it better (faster/more linear). Is the throttle and it's cable cam a part of the original Bosch system which gets tossed when people upgrade to something newer like Megasquirt? Or are they still stuck with it, logarithmic shape and all? I guess any further questions I should move to a different forum. Cheers.